Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Old 02-09-2016, 10:13 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

SR5 Gauge Cluster Swap - How-to, with pics!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 02:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i used a site and put all pertinent information (i.e. tranny gears) to calculate rpm and mph and at low speeds my speedo was now accurate but higher gears and speeds it was tapering off what it should have been. For you the best way is to remove the cluster and than the tach, on the face of the tach at on of the edges it should say "V6" if it came out of a V6, even easier for you would be if you never get above 3K rpm but it sounds like your motor is screaming (that what happened when i just through the cluster in with no alterations).
Old 03-08-2011, 06:56 PM

Hey everyone, this looks like the best place to ask...
I have an 89 4runner with an auto trans and was wondering if anyone had put a 5speed sr5 cluster into an auto vehicle?
seems to be that some things (fuel gauge/tach) are in different pins...
Is there a way to figure all this out?
Thanks!

did a quick search and found what i was looking for, so for future reference...

SR5 cluster into an auto:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...r-swap-140660/

Last edited by slobrorunner; 03-08-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Blue 89 Runner
Try a new sender, Could also be the gauge itself, I have 2 bad ones... one reads about 1/2 scale when it should be almost pegged, other doesn't do jack˟˟˟˟ . Need to find someone that knows how to rebuild them, NLA from Yota they told me, let alone the price was up in the 200+ range for just the oil/ temp combo !!!!
Yeah, I'll roll the dice on a new sender, esp. since the old one took a hit. If the gauge is dead, then I'll just have to use an aftermarket oil gauge. I'll be surprised if anyone rebuilds the stockers. Seems like more effort than they're worth, assuming it is even possible to rebuild them. Anyway, thanks for the input.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:16 PM

hey bleeder, im new to the forum and i was wondering, where do you suggest getting an SR5 cluster? are they pretty good price wise online or would a wreaking yard be best? i was going to install a seperate tach on the dash but i love how clean the SR5 swap is.

thank you!
Old 05-10-2011, 07:14 AM

Awesome right up its gonna come in handy when I find me a sr5 cluster
Old 05-15-2011, 08:58 AM

Just did the sr5 cluster swap in my 3.0. Works perfect. Thanx bleeder
Old 05-15-2011, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Link182
hey bleeder, im new to the forum and i was wondering, where do you suggest getting an SR5 cluster? are they pretty good price wise online or would a wreaking yard be best? i was going to install a seperate tach on the dash but i love how clean the SR5 swap is.

thank you!
I'm not "bleeder" but I got my cluster from a salvage yard for $40. followed all the info on here and matched the tach (from a v6) to my 22RE, reset my speedo to match existing mileage, added a pressure gauge sender for the OP and Viola! EXTREME AWESOMENESS!!!!
Old 05-16-2011, 10:03 AM

i remember in the directions, him saying that some trucks might not even be wired up to accept a tach system. what are you driving cause thats what im worried about the most. buying the cluster and then getting it in all to realize that its not wired for the tach option, if there is such a thing.

thank you!
Old 05-16-2011, 10:08 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Mine wasn't prewired either, but I have the cluster in my truck with a working tach. Somewhere in this thread I believe shows you how to do it. It's really simple. I did however have to change a few pins around in the harness to get the oil pressure gauge and fuel gauge to work, but that might be because I used an auto cluster, but not sure. There are diagrams/tables showing what the pin locations are on each of the years, that's what I used so I know they are out there.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:15 AM

so it will work even with it not pre wired? interesting. yeah when i read the thread it seemed pretty simple, but scary at the same time. electronics freak me out lol. well i guess il head to the wreaking yard and get a cluster.

thanks for the clearing that up extreme.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:13 AM

I just did my swap. Works great and I had no re-wiring to do...88 sr5 gauge in my 89 4runner.

Before
Name:  IMG_20110516_064150.jpg
Views: 908
Size:  61.5 KB

After
Name:  IMG_20110517_065611.jpg
Views: 940
Size:  83.5 KB

Thanks for all the write-ups and help.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:32 PM

Completed the swap on my daughter's truck today. Thanks for the great write up and tips! The swap in my case was plug and play. I found a gauge set from the same year truck so even the speedo drive didn't need changed. All I did was adjust the mileage on the odometer to be the same as the stock one that I took out.

Name:  Yota-pics-052911011.jpg
Views: 1058
Size:  2.01 MB

Name:  Yota-pics-052911003.jpg
Views: 1334
Size:  1.65 MB
Old 05-30-2011, 05:50 AM

Xtremewlr that looks awesome! Great job. I love that cluster even better than the SR5 that would have been a plug & play for mine. That's why I did the rewire
& mods and installed it in 87.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just picked up a full cluster out of a 2wd 92 xtra cab 4 cylinder for 20 bucks at pic-n-pull, going to put it into a 93 dlx 4wd pick-up, the new cluster is a plug and play, I haven't taken out the 93 yet and I assume it's plug and play too since it's a 93 and only one cable coming out under dash and that's the emergency brake cable, since going to 2wd to 4wd which bulb in the back is the 4wd indicator/4wd engaged light? And what size is it and is it clear or does it have the green condom on it? Am I still looking at a 50/50 chance it wired for a tach or is it a given being it's a 93 the tach will function when I get new motor in there and fire it up? Any other mt light socket in 2wd full cluster going into a 4wd that will need a bulb too for any reason I can't think of? Or fill them all up I guess that would answer the question and be like bleeder and they will be spares? I did exchange once a full guage cluster in the place of an idiot cluster in a Cherokee, but that was from a 4x4 to 4x4 so I didn't have to add any bulbs...
Old 06-27-2011, 08:09 PM

The salvage yard full guage cluster I got was from a wreaked truck and bottom corner mounting tab was broke off and lower clear cover damaged in same corner and while taking it apart it cracked in the corner from bottom to side at an angle but not all the way broke off, I tried to be careful but that corner was weak, sucks!!!! Well I blew that crappy moment off and went ahead an did the trick of taking out rod and taking off the white gears, took out that black finger thingie, I tried pushing rod out from left side end, didn't work, so took a 90 degree needle nose and grabbed hold of rod where it was bare and held tight and pulled with right hand on the rod with the face pointing away from you. took out gears one at a time while pulling rod out, turned number in direction as they turn while in motion and put gears back on while pushing rod in and waalaa all done with that , put all back together. just pissed I cracked clear outer cover on the corner, I'll try to get to another salvage yard to get another one and swap the re-adjust speedo, well that is it, hope it help somone having trouble getting that rod out...

Last edited by john4wd; 07-09-2011 at 07:18 PM. Reason: did the miles change
Old 07-11-2011, 06:39 AM

Has anybody tried taking the clear cover off an idiot/full cluster and put on another idiot/full cluster, looks glued pretty good, I bet I would do more damage to both and ruin the idiot/full cluster cover trying to remove it, should I try switching them or just get a new cluster and swap speedo's? Depends on if I can find another from a 4 banger and how much it is...hummmm??????

Found another full guage cluster at salvage yard in a wreaked 4 banger 2wd, but they want 50 bucks, heck for that I'll live with the small crack in the clear cover ;}LOL

Update:
I did the removal of the rod and turn the odo and when engine as done and took for a test drive and odo didn't work and nothing binding and I was thinking the tiny motor was shot so I ended up going and getting the other cluster for 50 bucks, but speedo kept getting stuck at 53 MPH so ended up getting a replacement speedo from a 4-runner and put in the pressure gauge from the one that odo didn't work and now the whole thing works perfect :} I found another one from another truck for $30 bucks for a spare, it has 195K on the odo but not going to adjust it...

Last edited by john4wd; 12-24-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by john4wd
Has anybody tried taking the clear cover off an idiot/full cluster and put on another idiot/full cluster, looks glued pretty good, I bet I would do more damage to both and ruin the idiot/full cluster cover trying to remove it, should I try switching them or just get a new cluster and swap speedo's?
old post I know, but if you're talking about the large clear piece over the entire face of the cluster, it comes right off, you just have to release the clips along the edges... I removed mine to clean and polish it... I'm pretty sure you have to remove it if you want to get the speedo out too.

----------------

On another note, I'm getting ready to convert my truck to a electronic speedometer from a cable based speedo... On some really cold days last winter the thing would make a squealing sound until the grease warmed up, and then of course the needle bobs up and down, especially at low speeds, the cluster is a total pain to remove since I've got a body lift (effectively shortening the length of the cable and how much slack I have to work with) and then a couple weeks ago the cable snapped... so now it doesn't even work

Another benefit is that you should be able to calibrate an electronic speedo a lot cheaper and easier too.

Anyway, I've got all the parts I need ordered, if people are interested I'll do a write up on how to do the conversion. On a whole it should only cost another $50 or so over the cost of an SR5 swap with another 20 minutes or so worth of work if you do it at the same time.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by twistedsymphony
old post I know, but if you're talking about the large clear piece over the entire face of the cluster, it comes right off, you just have to release the clips along the edges... I removed mine to clean and polish it... I'm pretty sure you have to remove it if you want to get the speedo out too.

----------------

On another note, I'm getting ready to convert my truck to a electronic speedometer from a cable based speedo... On some really cold days last winter the thing would make a squealing sound until the grease warmed up, and then of course the needle bobs up and down, especially at low speeds, the cluster is a total pain to remove since I've got a body lift (effectively shortening the length of the cable and how much slack I have to work with) and then a couple weeks ago the cable snapped... so now it doesn't even work

Another benefit is that you should be able to calibrate an electronic speedo a lot cheaper and easier too.

Anyway, I've got all the parts I need ordered, if people are interested I'll do a write up on how to do the conversion. On a whole it should only cost another $50 or so over the cost of an SR5 swap with another 20 minutes or so worth of work if you do it at the same time.
Looking Forward to it!!!!!!!
Old 09-13-2011, 09:09 AM

yeah twisted, that write up would be SUPER helpful. i hate my cable set up and would love to know how to do the electronic set up.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:19 AM

I have to say, this thread ROCKS! Thanks for the write ups. I'm gonna do this after I make sure I can do the tilt column swap. Can't wait for it to get here. In a perfect world I would do them both together, but I want to make sure I have no problems with the column. Everything I do with this truck seems to have unforeseen consequences!

Quick Reply: SR5 Gauge Cluster Swap - How-to, with pics!