Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sputter, cough... Timing Belt?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 11:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sputter, cough... Timing Belt?

I just got in early this morning (2 AM)...Much to my dismay, when I stopped in the street to back into my driveway, I noticed my truck was sputtering instead of purring. The headlights were dimming, I assume because of low engine RPMs.

I was able to back into the drive, and parked. I rev'd the engine and it did respond, but didn't smooth out. I noticed a black puff near the tailpipe and a bad, weird smell.

I turned it off and started it again, it fired up and ran but seemed to be getting worse.

I have been overdue for a timing belt change for quite a while, so I hope that's it. Any other ideas?
Old 01-17-2006, 03:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not familiar with the 3.0, but I'd say that if the belt had gone it would not run at all since the valves wouldn't be opening or closing on time. Don't really have any suggestions though, when was the last time plugs & wires etc were changed?

I may be able to help out on it this weekend, keep me posted.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:44 AM
Contributing Member

Black & Stinky

I'm was thinking the belt just lost a tooth and slipped... but I'm not thinking that so much anymore.

I started it up again this morning and it runs, but. Giving it more gas makes it run smoother, but it almost dies idling. The exhaust comes out black and stinky, and lots of it...as much as when you run Seafoam, but mostly black with some grey.

I checked the oil, it was low and dark (oops) so I added a qt. I have been putting off an oil change too long. But I've never seen low oil do this...

Could it be just bad fuel?
Any chance I could be dumping oil into a cylinder and burning that?

Last edited by Injohneer; 01-17-2006 at 04:59 AM.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:17 AM
Contributing Member

She seems to be doing better now. I started it again and ran it a bit, exhaust was mostly white this time rather than black. But it is 32° out, so that may be normalish...

Rev'd it a bit and it seemed to be clearing up...as if it was just bad gas... it actually idles mostly smooth now. Weird?

I will try taking it in to work later today..
Old 01-17-2006, 07:39 AM
Contributing Member

I took it around the block and although it's idling better now, it starts out with a light puff of exhaust, then goes dark. And smells funky. My wife thought it smelled like burning rubber...
Old 01-17-2006, 09:18 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Umm... been putting off a timing belt change....oil change overdue ....what other regular maintenance has "slipped your mind"?

And you expect it to run like a swiss watch?

I mean, what kind of enigineer are you? LMAO

Just giving you a hard time - I would start with the things you know it needs - you'll be able to tell a lot when you get the front of the engine off for the timing belt. Might try some Seafoam too - could have a lot of buildup that is keeping the valves from closing completely.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tc
Umm... been putting off a timing belt change....oil change overdue ....what other regular maintenance has "slipped your mind"?

I mean, what kind of enigineer are you? LMAO
Busy and underpaid. LOL Yah, ok, at least I'm admiting that I know I need to work on it.

Originally Posted by tc
And you expect it to run like a swiss watch?
Nope, a Timex.

I guess I'm putting my money on it being bad fuel. It straightened up and ran OK for the way in to work this morning. I plan to dump some HEET in the half tank I have left, on the way home...

Last edited by Injohneer; 01-17-2006 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many miles does your rig have? Sounds like it needs an oil change, plugs etc first thing. Let me know if you decide to tear into it this weekend.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:40 PM
Contributing Member

166K miles.

It's been running great so far... The more I think about it, it acted like it was running wayy too rich. It hasn't been too long since I re-oiled the K&N (about 2 months, city driving only), but I guess I will check that out.

Plugs/wires are only a year and a half old... :-/

I'm doing oil change this weekend. Really wanted to wait til next month to do much more on it, this weekend will be our 1st yr wedding anniversary (talking about my wife, not the truck).
I'll have a larger check from some overtime on the 1st, I may decide to go ahead and do the timing belt then (feb 3,4). I'll letchya know.