Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Special Service Campaign for 90-95 4Runners, 89-95 Trucks and 93-98 T100s

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 02:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far as I know the camber will change. It probably won't change much (not like when the BJ spacers went in) but it will still change. I don't know how closely matched th eupper & lower arms are. Just be sure to have the front end raised when you do the adjustments & drive the truck around the block to seat in the adjustments ech time.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmm, I found this bit of wisdom on a website (so it MUST be true...):
"When a suspension does not gain camber during deflection, this causes a severe positive camber condition when the car leans during cornering. This can cause funky handling....A suspension that gains camber during deflection will compensate for body roll. Tuning dynamic camber angles is one of the black arts of suspension tuning."

That answers my ponderings of whether the suspension would be designed to raise the tire without tilting it....hopefully it changes the camber a little.

I forgot to get the alignment report from the dealer, but from the looks of it, they only alligned the toe, not camber. It looks as far out as when I put the BJs in.
Good time to spring for Firestone's lifetime alignment, I guess...
Old 04-18-2006, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Took mine and my parents truck in today and had a very good experience.
Old Mill Toyota Omaha, NE ask for Don Blasic
Old 04-19-2006, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Injohneer
Hmm, I found this bit of wisdom on a website (so it MUST be true...):
"When a suspension does not gain camber during deflection, this causes a severe positive camber condition when the car leans during cornering. This can cause funky handling....A suspension that gains camber during deflection will compensate for body roll. Tuning dynamic camber angles is one of the black arts of suspension tuning."

That answers my ponderings of whether the suspension would be designed to raise the tire without tilting it....hopefully it changes the camber a little.

I forgot to get the alignment report from the dealer, but from the looks of it, they only alligned the toe, not camber. It looks as far out as when I put the BJs in.
Good time to spring for Firestone's lifetime alignment, I guess...
yup - take a look at some cars when the wheels are turned to lock, the camber looks way out - this is to counteract the body roll & allow better tire contact with the road during cornering as the g force will staighten the camber out (in effect cancelling bodt roll).

The dealer may not have put the truck on the machine - just did the toe by measure. My dealer put it on the machine & adjusted everything (I did pay extra for camber & castor) but I also told them ahead of time that it would need it due to the BJ spacers. I think they were a little suprised because it took them a lot longer than they thought to get it in spec.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:47 AM

I just got my back from getting the recall done. Went great, took 4 hours but they put a new steering rod and along with outter tierods and aligned it for no cost. I saw them bring the truck out so i thought it was done, i went to the service desk and the counter person said that they were waiting to get it on the alignment rack, I was shocked. Overall seems a bit tighter steering, Superior Toytoa in Erie gets two thumbs up.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:59 PM
Contributing Member

Just got my recall letter in the mail

I think I'm the last one on the planet.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:59 AM
Contributing Member

Well, took my 4runner in last week for the recall. Asked the service guy if they'd be doing an alignment, he said "no, it's not necessary, if you feel its out when you get it back you can take it somewhere and have it done". i thought this was pretty lame, but i let them do their thing. sure enough, i go pick it up a couple hours later and my steering is totally out of whack. the steering wheel is sitting way over to the left, and the trucks pulling to the right. so called the dealer back and complained, it goes back in on tuesday. they say they'll check and make sure the job was done properly, and do an alignment if necessary...
Old 05-31-2006, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Crux
I was reading an article just released about Ford recalling 3.8 million trucks, and came across this tidbit:

This is the first I've heard about this recall.
Anyone else have any more info?

(This seems to be different from the ball joint recall for later models a few months ago)

I just recieved my notice for recall from Toyota. They tracked me down via VIN number with help of the D.O.T. I have only have this 90 4runner for 6 months. I am quoting what is said in the notice.

May 2006, SOSH-514-1A
Dear Toyota Owner,
This notice is being sent to you in accordance with the reqirements of the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act. Toyota has determined that a defect relating to motor vehicle safety may exist with the Steering Centre link on certain 1990-1195 4Runner 2WD and 4WD, 1989-1995 toyota Truck 4WD and 1993-1998 T100 4WD vehicles. Our records indicate that you currently own an affected vehicle.

WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?? There is a possibility that a fatigue crack may develop in the Steering Centre Link. This fatigue crack may develop if the steering wheel is repeatedly turned under certain conditions where high steering effort is required, such as fully turning the steering wheel while the vehicle is not in motion. this may result in a loss of vehicle steering control.

WHAT WILL TOYOTA DO?? Any Toyota dealership will replace the centre link at NO COST TO YOU........ During the course of this repair, it may be necessary to perform additional repair(s) that are required to maintain your vehicle in safe operating condition. Such repairs are excluded from this campaign. (you have to pay)

WHAT SHOULD YOU DO?? Contact any authorized Toyota dealership service department as soon as possible to schedule an appointment to replace the steering centre link. This repair will take approximately 2 hours to complete.

Ok, what I found out from talking to the dealership here in Red Deer, Alberta is: they have worked on 75 Toyotas in this recall and only two needed minor extra work. I will get mine done on friday.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:46 PM
Contributing Member

^^I got that exact same notice a week after I got mine done.

Took my truck back in yesterday to have them fix my steering. They said the steering wheel wasn't straight when they put the new rod in and that's why it was off. They fixed it up, and now it's perfect. this is valley toyota in chilliwack, bc btw.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I had mine done a while back and I just noticed that my right tire is wearing down on the outside edge. Didn't notice any alignment problem when I got the vehicle back but I have to get it aligned now.. I didn't hit any curbs or pot holes so the alignment must be off just a bit, not enough to notice except for on the tires.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Scofco
Just got my recall letter in the mail

I think I'm the last one on the planet.
Well you do live close to the end of the planet!
Old 06-12-2006, 02:29 PM

So I just bought my brother 94 4x4, and its still in Montana with him until I can pick it up and bring it back to Oregon. So I tell him to take it in and get the recall done, he brings it in and drops it off they call him a few hours later saying they cant do the recall because the truck has a rancho 3inch lift. Its still got stock 31s tires too.

Is this something that toyota wont do if your lifted or just this toyota dealership in Bozeman Montana are shady?
Old 06-12-2006, 02:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Did the lift already replace the rod? if not then they are lying. If you read many of the posts here, alot of people already have lifts and still got theirs replaced. try another dealer and make them show you why it cannot be done.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:56 PM

recall 50n

got my letter today can't wait ot go to the "stealership" and have them treat me like ÅÅÅÅ again i need to know exactly what is replaced for free under this and about how long it will take
Old 06-12-2006, 07:03 PM

I just got my recall done last Thursday. A couple days before that I got my tie rods replaced cause it would not pass inspection. Also put on new rotors and brakes and replaced the front bearings. Anyway back to the recall the guy doing the work was happy because he didnt have to fight with the tie rods. Also the alignment was free and done on the Hunter machine Total time was about 3hrs and in that time I test drove a 2006 Sequioa. I feel a new monthly payment coming
Old 06-12-2006, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Paul H.
Did the lift already replace the rod? if not then they are lying. If you read many of the posts here, alot of people already have lifts and still got theirs replaced. try another dealer and make them show you why it cannot be done.
Im not totally sure if the rancho lift replaces the rod or not, the truck is in montana and my brother isnt a mechanic by anymeans.
Im gonna look into it next week when I get it back to Oregon.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:54 AM

I just spent the weekend replacing all my ball joints, tie rod ends etc with Moog direct replacements and had no problems putting it back together. I took my 4Runner in today to Mossy Toyota here in Pacific Beach to have the 50N done and they said that they can't do it because the aftermarket tie rod ends don't fit the new steering rod. The said that they'd have to replace my new tie rod ends at $130 each.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by joatmon
I just spent the weekend replacing all my ball joints, tie rod ends etc with Moog direct replacements and had no problems putting it back together. I took my 4Runner in today to Mossy Toyota here in Pacific Beach to have the 50N done and they said that they can't do it because the aftermarket tie rod ends don't fit the new steering rod. The said that they'd have to replace my new tie rod ends at $130 each.
I don't think that there is any difference in the rod other than the material used. - go to another dealer
Old 06-23-2006, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by joatmon
I replaced my tie rods ends inner/outter with MOOG replacements also and the guy replacing the steering rod was happy. He said he didnt have to fight with the ends to get the rod on and alignment was a breeze for him also.
Old 06-24-2006, 04:29 PM

my wife just had the center link installed by TOYOTA think this may be recall item

Quick Reply: Special Service Campaign for 90-95 4Runners, 89-95 Trucks and 93-98 T100s