Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Special Grill for 1986 2wd xtra cab long box?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 09:32 PM

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Special Grill for 1986 2wd xtra cab long box?

I've never seen a 86 with this grill including my own 2wd xtra cab lonb box, but looking at buying a parts one tomorrow that has it. Based on some googling, it seems very common on the turbo trucks. Wonder if there's something special to it like SR5 package or what. I only have poor exterior photos of the truck and can't read the badging on the side of the cab, but it doesn't look tall enough for the "Toyota EFI Turbo" badge. Hoping it's a SR5 with a good interior like the last one I just picked up lately. It has graphics on the body too that matched atleast one other red 86 turbo 2wd so I'm hoping for the turbo . It's pretty cheap if it's either SR5 or Turboed, if it's just a standard pickup, it's at the higher end of what I'd normally pay for a 2wd in such poor shape body wise.

Here is the other photo I found online of the truck with the matching graphics, color and grill which is also a Turbo. Only difference is standard bed vs long bed.

Would be interested in any input, and if all goes well and I get to check it out tomorrow I'll update the thread with what it is.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:07 PM

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Update on this, it's a DLX 22R carb'ed truck. Got the price down a little, finding it only havign 125k miles is kind of nice though. Engine runs well, shifter works well (W55), and interior is pretty nice in gray. Dash pad has a small crack about 2-3in from the window, lot better than some I've seen. It ended up being an 87 truck and wow it has a lot of differences from the 86's. It's another parts truck for my collection, but might have to save the cab off to the side since it's pretty good shape for Michigan besides the banged up doors and fenders. Would work well on the 91 4x4 frame I have sitting around, and maybe try to source another 1UZ v8 4.0L to power it . 3.4L would be a ton easier to find with all the Tacoma's coming up for sale locally with bad frames or even the 2.7L.

Got to also tour the local junk yard, nothing old but they had a couple 95-2004 tacomas, and a 2008. One has a W59 trans with the 2.7L, might have to go after that bell housing.