Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Someone Stole My Catalytic Converter

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 09:01 PM
PRJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blakegeee,
the problem with that reasoning is that it only takes a sawzall with a metal cutting blade 2 minutes to cut it out weld job or not. theres enough clearance down there to make quick work. i've actually heard of a company (American Welding) that produced the CatClamp. What are ppls' thoughts on it? http://catclamp.com/catclamp.asp
Old 04-24-2008, 10:21 PM
PRJ

blakegee,
welding has no deterrent effect whatsoever..all it takes is a sawzall with a metal cutting blade and your cat is gone in 2 minutes flat. the only way to prevent theft might be to install the CatClamp. does anyone have experience with it? http://catclamp.com/catclamp.asp
Old 04-26-2008, 02:36 PM
PRJ

i just got my cat replaced for $125 total...not bad. if anyone is wondering, the stock exhaust on the 2nd gen 4r's is 2 1/8" in diameter.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant526
rowdy235- No, If your just visiting, your not required to conform to local smog equipment. However, there is a certain amount of conforming you have to do if you import or more into california with a "Non-50 state" emissions system.

I've been told that if your caught without a CAT on your vehicle, they will impound the vehicle, install a cat and sell it at auction. Taking the cost of the work done out of the sale, leaving you liable for the difference and only recieving some of what was made on the sale (assuming there is a profit).

Who told you that?
I believe it was a local mechanic that I deal with once in a while. But if I remember right, it's more relevent to "Ricers" and their "Riced Out" Imports. Or other highly moded vehicles.
Mostly it's food for thought. Something to keep in the back of your mind, before deciding to run without a CAT if you live in California.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:08 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by grant526
I believe it was a local mechanic that I deal with once in a while. But if I remember right, it's more relevent to "Ricers" and their "Riced Out" Imports. Or other highly moded vehicles.
Mostly it's food for thought. Something to keep in the back of your mind, before deciding to run without a CAT if you live in California.
Yeah... I have smog2 to deal with in my area... although I've never failed it. Well once my timing was high on one of the Toyotas.

The warning you give sounds like a bit of an urban legend type thing.. not sure if the state actually has the authority to impound a car... although they might do it for a flagrent repeat offender... as you suggest.

I've an Rx7 ('85 GSLE 13b engine) that I've been told by a mechanic I pretty much trust.... that 2 of the 3 cats on the vehicle are non-functioning. That was in 1991.

The wankel continues to score extremely well on these tough Smog2 tests. So I've not changed out the cats as the engine runs beautifully. I owe that to Rotella T 15w 40. The high detergent formulation they use in that oil cured my apex seal problem... which as you can picture, would be critical to a clean exhaust.

Since I've discovered that stuff back in '91... I've wondered how many Rx7's went through major engine repair, or were abandoned, because of nothing more than a stuck apex seal.

Since then, I've switched one motor after another to that oil. Thank you Shell.

The '08 Ridge is the only one I run Mobil 1 on, partly out of respect to Honda... they are a big believer in Moly and actually add an extra dose during break-in. Then they ask you to leave it in... through the memory minders oil life indicator... which has been averaging 5k-7.5k for most owners.

Mobil 1 has revised and improved their detergent formulation... I think as a result of all the engine sludging problems starting back in the 90's. Which I've had none... in any of the vehicles I've been running...again, I think due to Rotella T.

Man... sorry about the digression!
Old 04-27-2008, 01:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rdharper
Yeah... I have smog2 to deal with in my area... although I've never failed it. Well once my timing was high on one of the Toyotas.

The warning you give sounds like a bit of an urban legend type thing.. not sure if the state actually has the authority to impound a car... although they might do it for a flagrent repeat offender... as you suggest.

I've an Rx7 ('85 GSLE 13b engine) that I've been told by a mechanic I pretty much trust.... that 2 of the 3 cats on the vehicle are non-functioning. That was in 1991.

The wankel continues to score extremely well on these tough Smog2 tests. So I've not changed out the cats as the engine runs beautifully. I owe that to Rotella T 15w 40. The high detergent formulation they use in that oil cured my apex seal problem... which as you can picture, would be critical to a clean exhaust.

Since I've discovered that stuff back in '91... I've wondered how many Rx7's went through major engine repair, or were abandoned, because of nothing more than a stuck apex seal.
From what I've experienced with those rotarys, they are finicky little SOBs sometimes. I still think they are neat tho.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:32 PM

I am also a victim of cat theft just in NYC instead. It sucks but I have Florida plates so I just patched the system back together without the cat. Now I don't have to worry about it getting stolen anymore.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by stormin94
From what I've experienced with those rotarys, they are finicky little SOBs sometimes. I still think they are neat tho.
Finicky went with the oil switch. Most reliable vehcile I've ever owned.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rdharper
Finicky went with the oil switch. Most reliable vehcile I've ever owned.
Well, my dad has a shop, and we used to get those things in there all the time with idle problems. They are quite simple in design, and I can imagine they would last a long time. The oil switch thing you speak of, I do believe I've changed a few of those, and the problem was largely fixed, except for some minor fine tuning. I guess they are just too simple for me.