Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

so I'm about to order my suspention parts...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 06:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
so I'm about to order my suspention parts...

So I'm going with 1.5" bj spacers up front and I'm going to leave the t-bars at stock setting to get the 1.5" lift. Now I don't want the truck all jacked up in the front by leaving the rear alone, but I also don't want to put 4" leafs in the rear and have the rear all jacked up. The closest to 1.5" that I can find are from Downey, about a thrid of the way down on the page. Their 2" though. Do you guys think that a whole .5" difference will be noticeable? I know there's got to be someone here on YT that's used them or currently using them; how do they ride and perform off road?

I was thinking either these, or just new replacement original spings and some lift shackles...

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 11-02-2008 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes...that .5" will look hideous. Just kidding...4 runners have a 6" drop in the rear from the factory right?
Old 11-02-2008, 06:30 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 91Toyota
yes...that .5" will look hideous. Just kidding...4 runners have a 6" drop in the rear from the factory right?
lol, after a couple thousand miles, yes, the 6" drop is factory...

Yeah I am not a fan of the so-called "bull-dogged" look that I hear people call it when the front sits higher than the rear, or the "raked-look" people call it when the rear is higher than the front. I just want it to sit level, ya know; or as level as possible anyway...

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 11-02-2008 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:43 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Check out my IFS lift kits.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:48 PM
Contributing Member

thank's wab, but I considered a full IFS component drop kit, and decided against it. I'm keeping the phrase in mind "Lift as much as you need, but as little as possible". It's my DD and casual trail rider, and I just want to be able to clear 33"s with minor or no rubbing under flex when it's all done...
Old 11-02-2008, 06:52 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Our IFS lift kits are bj spacers and AAL...or you could get shackles as you mention. Not sure what you mean by a component drop kit...

Just offering help since you are a neighbor.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:58 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Our IFS lift kits are bj spacers and AAL...or you could get shackles as you mention. Not sure what you mean by a component drop kit...

Just offering help since you are a neighbor.

really now...

ok, lemme go look at the site...

I meant like the control arm drop kits with the brackets and everything; I want to stay away from that...
Old 11-02-2008, 07:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
frankly, I see a BJ spacer up front turning into maybe a 1" lift, which means some good shocks and extra travel- that makes more sense to me than just going for lift. If you've seen the threads about IFS and articulation, you'll get what I'm saying.
At that point, stock height springs would be the soup-de-jour, save for the 1" front lift... so some extended shackles to compensate/adjust for the front would be in order. AAL's on an already sagging suspension will only bring you up to maybe a rabbit hair over stock, so... ?

If you're actually serious about "as little as possible", fix the sag with durable springs then compensate with work on the front.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:07 PM
Contributing Member

nicely put abe. yeah I don't wat AAL at all, with my old 300k mile springs or new ones; they ride a little too stiff for my likings; another downfall in my eyes to the kit from wabfab, sorry man...
Old 11-02-2008, 07:23 PM

wow... you actually understood what I meant?
must learn to be more cryptic
Old 11-02-2008, 07:28 PM

if you want more lift, order the parts accordingly- lifted/re-arched springs in the rear (OME, ProComp or whichever) to match what you want to do in the front... so if you want 1.5" BJ spacers up front, go for 0-1" lift springs in the rear. At worse, your rear end will be a tad lower than the front... then you can compensate with extended shackles in the rear without compromising ride quality, or using AAL's.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
lol, after a couple thousand miles, yes, the 6" drop is factory...

Yeah I am not a fan of the so-called "bull-dogged" look that I hear people call it when the front sits higher than the rear, or the "raked-look" people call it when the rear is higher than the front. I just want it to sit level, ya know; or as level as possible anyway...
Shouldn't it be raked from the factory? I like the look of a good rake...that way when I stuff 500lbs of dirtbikes in the rear it doesn't sag like Abes old age boobs
Old 11-02-2008, 07:56 PM

Shouldn't it be raked from the factory? I like the look of a good rake...that way when I stuff 500lbs of dirtbikes in the rear it doesn't sag like Abes old age boobs
you didn't just go there... did you? 'cause your momma likes my boobs. she likes the fact that even when I'm lying on my back my hard nipples are taller than you. She likes the fact that my nipples don't burn oil like your engine. She also likes the fact that some months ago I knew your piston didn't work right.

Last edited by abecedarian; 11-02-2008 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by abecedarian
you didn't just go there... did you? 'cause your momma likes my boobs. she likes the fact that even when I'm lying on my back my hard nipples are taller than you. She likes the fact that my nipples don't burn oil like your engine. She also likes the fact that some months ago I knew your piston didn't work right.
wow, ok guys, lmao
Old 11-02-2008, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
I love you too
Old 11-02-2008, 08:49 PM

I love you too
you're just saying that because my 2wd 'yota has more lift than your's.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:11 PM

lol...just wait til I get my diesel that gets 25mpg Who will be jealous now...LOL
Old 11-03-2008, 04:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
nicely put abe. yeah I don't wat AAL at all, with my old 300k mile springs or new ones; they ride a little too stiff for my likings; another downfall in my eyes to the kit from wabfab, sorry man...
I know I've mentioned this before, maybe too often, but have you considered putting coils in the rear? When I did mine the truck came up 1 1/2" over factory ride height and the BJ's in the front leveled it out nicely. The coils got me off of the overloads and the ride is great, also added some carrying capacity for hauling firewood etc.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:00 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
I had the Downey 3" springs front and rear of my '83, not terrible, but I think you should spend your money somewhere else. The springs were very very soft, which made for a good ride, but I couldn't put anything (and I mean anything) in the bed without them sagging. I'd go Marlin or some other high quality springs.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:03 PM
Contributing Member

Well after further looking into it, I'm am actually considering the WabFab kit with the AALs, but I'd like to get some feed back on how they ride.

I'll be replacing the old springs with new one's at the same time because of the fact that there's almost 300k on them, so I know just for that reason that it will seem a little more stiff.

I had AAL's on a full size Dodge I was driving for a while and they were stupid stiff, but they were put in it by my father who used it for towing, not to get a little lift to fit larger tires.

Considering the kit and all 4 new shocks comes right to $400 before tax, that's half the price of a bracket lift kit, which I didn't want to begin with, plus it should make it oh so easy to clear 33"s with no problem.

Quick Reply: so I'm about to order my suspention parts...