Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

So after doing my timing belt, water pump, knock sensor and wire

Old 09-29-2010, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So after doing my timing belt, water pump, knock sensor and wire

So after doing my timing belt, water pump, knock sensor and wire, along with the entire process to taking it apart and putting it back together, i am done with this engine. there is a 60,000 mile countdown starting 500 miles ago to when the runner gets a new motor. I want a diesel. period. can't beat it and i tired of all of the hoses, wires and b.s. that is on this engine.

I have picked out a couple different diesels that i think would be good for the rig. The main one that I am eye-balling is a Perkins 4 cylinder, Turbo and intercooled, 4.4 liter diesel. It weighs 675# and makes 142hp at 2300 rpm and 390 ft lbs of torque at 1400 rpm. now, here is what is cool between 900 rpm and 2300 rpm it makes no less than 335 ft lbs of torque!!! Gear driven water pump, mechanically injected, very little wiring and i am thinking, better mileage.

Now the problems that come up. I don't like to say problems, but more like things that will need to be addressed.

-motor mounts: as with any swap motor mounts will have to be made.
-Transmission adapter: same thing as motor, I am thinking about doing this for my senior project as i am a engineering major.
-gearing: more on this in a minute
-intercooler:
-wiring: yeah.....
-clearance: a small body lift and a modified oil pan will be in order.

Gearing: Alright so my 4runner came with 4.56 gears and the r150f trans with a .838 O/D and 31" tires. Great for the v-6 but not good for an engine that maxes out at 2400-2500 rpm. Here in lies the problem: From what i have found you can't get gears lower than 4.10's in with the v-6 carrier and the 7.5 ifs front end (if someone knows different please clue me in). Now by this time i will have 33x10.50-15 on there so that will help but not enough. i figure if i go to 4.10's in 5th with with the motor at 2300, it will only go 66mph. If i could get 3.73's i could pull 70 at 2150rpm which isn't bad necessarily considering the engine was designed to run at 2200 all day long and the engine still makes 335 ft lbs of torque at 2200 rpm. Also does anyone know about gear interchangeability between the different R-series transmissions, including the AX-15 (jeep) and the NV3550? Supposedly they are basically the same middle box with different input shaft lenghts and rear transfer-case bosses. The nv3550 has a 4.01 first gear, 2.33 2nd, 1.39 3rd, 1.0 4th and .78 5th gear which would work well with the higher axle gears and the lower rpm of the diesel engine.

Intercooler- the engine at this rating needs an intercooler. I was thinking of routing an intercooler that would be on a turbo'd compact car down behind the front valance. (i don't really wheel the truck any more so i am not too concerned about clearance and trail damage)

wiring: What i would like to do is make a new gauge cluster with autometer gauges just to start fresh but i would like to try and keep the main interior compartment wiring basically stock minus the ECM and stuff like that. I would like to keep the ABS if possible and if it is separate from the ECM.

This is not going to be happening anytime soon, but I want to start bouncing the ideas off of people. Thanks for any help you offer guys!
Old 09-29-2010, 11:45 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Will an engine that big fit in the engine compartment?

Is there a slightly smaller engine with higher operating rpms that would do the job?
Old 09-29-2010, 11:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would use a Cummins 4bt, or a smaller 3 cyclinder izuzi diesel. Like the ones in the little izuzu flatbeds. Ive pondered the 4bt swap in mine cause the 22re has given me nothing but problems.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
cummins makes a b3.3taa its a 4cyl 3.3 liter it only puts out 86 hp but 280 ft lbs of torque and has a redline of 3200 i think, with a little injection pump tweaking and an intercooler as well as a tweak to the waste gate this motor can make some serious power, best of all it weighs in under 600 pounds. proffits crusiers does conversions and is helping me out with mine.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:37 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I don`t know much about diesel engines, but what about the Jeta TDI diesel (i think that`s what it called) there have been several of those swaps done. Do a search on you tube, there is a video of it there.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:52 PM

that engine is one of the options, there are others. it's actually smaller than a 350 chevy that people have put in our vehicles before. the oil pan would be an issue but it would fit width wise. width is 24.5 inch with turbo mounted and is 26.5" long. the big one is with the stock oil pan it is almost 32" tall.

The other engine is a perkins 3.4L 4 cyl. turbo. 115hp at 2500rpm and 308 ft lbs at 1600. I figure at least 2800rpm intermittent speeds. 22.4" long, 11.6" wide, and 26.7" tall. wow. forgot the dimensions of that motor. that would fit a bit better and would work a bit better with gearing. weighs under 600 pounds. makes between 265 and 308 ft lbs between 1000 and 2500 rpm.

Last edited by Alex 400; 09-29-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:13 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Alex. Wondered where you got off to.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by thook
Hey Alex. Wondered where you got off to.
hahah yeah i kind of had plateaued with the old runner. it was working fine, had it tuned the way i liked and it was doing everything i needed to. All of the work i had done to it was just maintenance things lately, hoses (all hoses), spark plugs, all fluids and recently my hunt for the knock sensor that led to the water pump, timing belt, and the knock sensor wire. that crank bolt was on there tight i tell you what. I will post of the tool that i made so i could take that baby off.

I also got back into my dirt bike more. I brought it over to my house at school back in june and have been having a blast with it. much cheaper to fix and mod for that matter than the 4runner. plus, the 4runner needs to be in good working order since it is my daily driver.

But i am back for ideas and discussion on an idea for a project that i believe i will document in multiple ways.

Anyway.

alex
Old 09-30-2010, 05:34 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
what sort of engineering are you majoring in? (sounds like ME given the projects you're into!)
Old 09-30-2010, 07:34 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Alex 400
hahah yeah i kind of had plateaued with the old runner. it was working fine, had it tuned the way i liked and it was doing everything i needed to. All of the work i had done to it was just maintenance things lately, hoses (all hoses), spark plugs, all fluids and recently my hunt for the knock sensor that led to the water pump, timing belt, and the knock sensor wire. that crank bolt was on there tight i tell you what. I will post of the tool that i made so i could take that baby off.

I also got back into my dirt bike more. I brought it over to my house at school back in june and have been having a blast with it. much cheaper to fix and mod for that matter than the 4runner. plus, the 4runner needs to be in good working order since it is my daily driver.

But i am back for ideas and discussion on an idea for a project that i believe i will document in multiple ways.

Anyway.

alex
Though both of my 4rnr's are working just fine, I wouldn't mind having a diesel in place of the 3vze. More torque = better go-go! Plus, I'd convert to veggie oil and all that. Plenty of restaurants around to fill up.

My ultimate dream would be this Trailblazer I've had my eye on and dropping a Supra inline 6cyl in it. But, we'll see what the future holds.

For a while I'd taken hiatus myself. I got back into bicycles. Got my hands on some vintage road bikes I'm still not finished with, but they will be soon enough. I may post some pics up in the appropriate forum when they're done.

Anyway, yeah......I'll keep my eye on this thread. If I ever do get my hands on a diesel, I'm sure this thread will come in handy. I'd like to see that tool you made, too.

Good to see you back here, again.......even if only briefly.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by RustBucket
what sort of engineering are you majoring in? (sounds like ME given the projects you're into!)
I am an Industrial Engineering Technology major with a specialization in Metal Fabrication and design. Right now i am taking metallurgy and i hope to start some independent study for more welding experience and techniques. this year should include advanced machining too which should be fun. That would allow me to use the CNC Mill and Lathe which will be nice for up coming projects.

Originally Posted by thook
Though both of my 4rnr's are working just fine, I wouldn't mind having a diesel in place of the 3vze. More torque = better go-go! Plus, I'd convert to veggie oil and all that. Plenty of restaurants around to fill up.

My ultimate dream would be this Trailblazer I've had my eye on and dropping a Supra inline 6cyl in it. But, we'll see what the future holds.

For a while I'd taken hiatus myself. I got back into bicycles. Got my hands on some vintage road bikes I'm still not finished with, but they will be soon enough. I may post some pics up in the appropriate forum when they're done.

Anyway, yeah......I'll keep my eye on this thread. If I ever do get my hands on a diesel, I'm sure this thread will come in handy. I'd like to see that tool you made, too.

Good to see you back here, again.......even if only briefly.
Thanks thook, yeah hobbies can change at a whim it seems like. lol Like you and the veggie oil, i feel the same way only with waste motor oil. I live in farm country and there are many waste oil recycling sites around as well as all of the auto parts stores have a big tank. If you filter it out and blend it with straight diesel you can burn waste motor/trans/gear oil in the diesel. It is less harsh on seals and the injection pump and actually lubricates the pump better than the ULS diesel out there now. A good mix that Rollins truck leasing in Washington uses is a 20% Waste motor oil (WMO) to 80% diesel. They do the service on the truck, dump the oils into a tank, it is pumped in a centrifuge where it is blended with diesel and then can be pumped back into the trucks.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:38 AM

anything on the transmission question?