YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   sloooowwww power windows (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/sloooowwww-power-windows-121139/)

jht3 07-27-2007 07:16 AM

sloooowwww power windows

ever since new, my power windows are painfully slow to roll up...especially the rears. it's so bad that i can't roll up all 4 at the same time, as the rears will just stop. before i go yanking the door panels off to degrease and relube them, i wanted to see if anyone else has been down this path. i have a feeling it might be due to a weak electrical system, and that beefing up the "big three" might help where the lubing won't.

whitetaco02 07-27-2007 07:17 AM

I had that problem in my 88 4runner and I changed out the runners. It was expensive but it helped out quite a bit.

thook 07-27-2007 07:20 AM

Try spraying some silicone lube on the rubber seals.

Robrt32 07-27-2007 07:44 AM

Thats the very reason when i bought my new truck, I looked for 1 with manual windows. I figure on driving it 20 years and they would have been a problem down the road. Window handles are cheap compared to motors

Blurr 07-27-2007 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by jht3 (Post 50581738)
ever since new, my power windows are painfully slow to roll up...especially the rears. it's so bad that i can't roll up all 4 at the same time, as the rears will just stop. before i go yanking the door panels off to degrease and relube them, i wanted to see if anyone else has been down this path. i have a feeling it might be due to a weak electrical system, and that beefing up the "big three" might help where the lubing won't.

do they roll up/down the same with the driver window switch versus each window's specific switch? if not, a quick thing to check is the switch contacts in the door arm rest. easy enough to pop out and clean.

you can also compare the time it takes to roll up/down the window using the door switch versus running a jumper to the positive post on your battery. if it is quicker with the jumper, i'd say you have a wiring issue somewhere, not a problem with the motor or window regulator mechanism.

jht3 07-27-2007 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Blurr (Post 50581780)
do they roll up/down the same with the driver window switch versus each window's specific switch? if not, a quick thing to check is the switch contacts in the door arm rest. easy enough to pop out and clean.

you can also compare the time it takes to roll up/down the window using the door switch versus running a jumper to the positive post on your battery. if it is quicker with the jumper, i'd say you have a wiring issue somewhere, not a problem with the motor or window regulator mechanism.

yup, that's pretty much what i have planned. i believe that the windows act the same, regardless of which switch is used, but i'll check.

it's been like this since day 1 though, and hasn't gotten any worse, which leads me to believe "they all do that".

881stGenRunner 07-27-2007 09:47 AM

i have to put one up at time as well. I have power windows in mine and the passenger slide is super slow. The passenger switch will allow the window to go down but not up. The drivers side can do up and down both sides (pass. driver)

Ringmaster 07-27-2007 09:51 AM

Only the right rear is slow, sometimes it just stops. Give it 5-10 minutes and it'll go up another 3 inches.

I've been putting off looking at it, but I know it's just gonna crap out before long.

1styota4X4 07-27-2007 10:02 AM

my 95 is pretty slow 2 and the more i rollup the slower they go but mine dont stop

curly_c 07-27-2007 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by thook (Post 50581742)
Try spraying some silicone lube on the rubber seals.

X2 thats what i did and for how simple it was it works pretty good

toyota_mdt_tech 07-27-2007 05:42 PM

Silicone spray on the window runs. But the damage may be done. The dry runs can wear out the bushing behind the regulator drive gear and it cockes sideways . Soon, it will make a stripping noise. Lube these often, the easy movement keeps the reg motors in good shape

thook 07-27-2007 10:25 PM

So, "runs" is what they're called then? Okay...

It helps to clean the dirt from them fairly regular like, too.

stormin94 07-28-2007 09:57 PM

I had the same sorta problem with my windows on my 1994 4runner. i took the door panels off(less than 10 min for all 4) and lubed the power window junk in there with heavy duty bearing grease. I also had the rubber seal on the back windows get sucked into the tracks, and thats why one was slow, and the other liked to get stuck on the way up(esp. in the rain). My solution to this was to get the rubber out of the track and lube with silicone lube. Now they all work great.

linuxrunner 07-28-2007 11:31 PM

i had the same problem with my rear window, had to have the truck running to roll it up or down. Also was VERY loud, i could hear it roll up or down inside my house :hillbill:

Finally i went to a local u-pull-it and got a driver side window motor form a toyota car, it was $6 and it works so fast and quit now it's crazy.