86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Should I rebuild or get a Jasper? And other questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I rebuild or get a Jasper? And other questions

I have an 88 4runner, 22re, auto (Sorry so long)

I have been having a problem with losing oil and very poor gas mileage, so I took my truck to my mechanic and he did a compression test. He said I have 170 PSI in each cylinder and my spark plugs looked good so I am good there.

The thing is, I have to add around 1 qt of oil every 300-400 miles or so but have no leaks what so ever. It does not smoke at all (maybe on hard acceleration) but that is it. My gas is maybe averaging 12 miles (give or take) per gallon and definitely feel I should be getting better than that.
O2 sensor and fuel filter has been replaced.

My questions is: Should I get a rebuild kit and rebuild my 22re or should I get a Jasper Reman engine?

My compression test shows exactly what? I know it shows my rings are good but what else? What all would I need to get done? Would it be more practical for me to just get a Jasper engine or have my mechanic rebuild it for me?

Also, my truck hasn't been running like it used to run. It is very sluggish (more so than usual) and it doesn't feel like it shifts like it used to do. How do I know if my tranny is going out on me? The other day I stopped at a traffic light and when the light turned green I gave it gas and it felt like I had my emergency brake on. I stopped, put it in N, then in Park and off I went. It has hesitated one more time since then. Not sure what the deal is!!
Thanks and I appreciate all info provided.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:05 PM

ck out orient engine.i've used them a few times & had good service
Old 01-26-2007, 02:21 AM

thanks

anybody else???
Old 01-26-2007, 03:51 AM

Jasper is way overpriced.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Yotapup
Jasper is way overpriced.
Ditto.

If your truck runs than your best bet is to get it rebuilt. If I was in your situation I would browse a local swap meet or junkyard and see what they'd want. After that if you know how to dig into an engine rebuild it or send it out. Saying your willing to get a Jasper is like saying your willing to have a $4000-$5000 budget for your rebuild. Ever consider a Small Block Chevy
Old 01-26-2007, 04:53 AM

I'm looking into the same thing and rebuilding seems the way to go. Engnbldr.com has a rebuild kit for $300 that's with cam and the machine work shouldn't be more than $150?? I've never completly rebuilt an engine, but with yotatech/lots of research and time I'm sure I can do it.

As far as the transmission goes, mine is auto too, change fluid/filter and maybe have it flushed. Should help if it has never been done.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:18 AM

I have to agree that Jasper is overpriced. However, when I had the shop we installed many Jasper engines and they were always top notch. My Dad toured the plant as well and said that they do a really good, clean job and test everything. I think that's worth something as well as the warranty. If you do have it rebuilt instead make sure you have a good mechanic and see if he will guarantee his work for a certain period of time. Just remember, fixing a botched rebuild will be more expensive than a Jasper.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Stomis
Ditto.

If your truck runs than your best bet is to get it rebuilt. If I was in your situation I would browse a local swap meet or junkyard and see what they'd want. After that if you know how to dig into an engine rebuild it or send it out. Saying your willing to get a Jasper is like saying your willing to have a $4000-$5000 budget for your rebuild. Ever consider a Small Block Chevy
yeah, you are right. I can get a jasper for 2100 and i will have my mechanic put it in for me. i am not sure about how much the rebuild would cost....

i would never put a small block chevy in there. i would lose all of the reliability then. lol
Old 01-26-2007, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by amgraham
I have to agree that Jasper is overpriced. However, when I had the shop we installed many Jasper engines and they were always top notch. My Dad toured the plant as well and said that they do a really good, clean job and test everything. I think that's worth something as well as the warranty. If you do have it rebuilt instead make sure you have a good mechanic and see if he will guarantee his work for a certain period of time. Just remember, fixing a botched rebuild will be more expensive than a Jasper.
ok, thanks for that. it might be better just getting a jasper and not fooling with the rebuild. i have a heard a few horror stories about rebuilding and don't want to be a part of that.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The jaspers are pricey.

One bonus is, with mine, when installed by a jasper certified (not sure how they do that, but my guy was) tech, the engine has a 3 year 75k full warrantee. Not nesssarly a reason to for sure go with them, but its a nice perk.

I like mine, but i would have to believe that if you rebuild it yourself and take your time and are careful, you'd have a perfectly running truck again...Or if you have a shop that you trust.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:18 PM

I second the Orient suggestion. I am having one installed now. 3 year unlimited mileage warranty, parts & LABOR !!! Not many remans carry a labor warranty also. They pay up to $65 an hour up to a max of $1000 ! 22re long block $1399. Just a suggestion. Good luck.

E.S.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:17 PM

I guess I got my $ worth on my truck. it came with a jesper at 4500mi and I only paid $2500 fo the truck
Old 01-26-2007, 07:31 PM

Since you have good compression...

The oil burning may be coming thru the valve guides. It might be worth rebuilding the head, and let the block and pistons stay as they are.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:50 PM

The only thing is when i turn the truck on, i can hear a tapping coming from the bottom of the engine. i cannot pin point exactly where it is coming from though. somebody told me it might be piston slap????

that is another thing that has me worried about rebuilding it.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:25 PM

If you have 170 psi in every cylinder, that is very good. Find the low gas mileage problem, find the oil leak(maybe from your valves). numbers like 170psi is a good indication of good engine. Unless you just have the money laying around
Old 01-27-2007, 03:50 AM

i definitely don't have money laying around, I am a teacher. lol

I do work at a summer camp during the summers and that is going to be my truck money.

could my transmission be the cause of poor gas mileage? if it takes longer to shift and my engine has to work harder to get it to the point of shifting, etc...???

does that make sense? it sounds right when i think about it... lol
Old 01-27-2007, 11:41 PM

Hmmm, havent really heard of transmition problems causing that bad of gas mileage. Ok lets think about this, Engines are lots of money. Bad gas mileage could be something as simple as a clogged air filter to a bad o2 sensor. And the oil leak could be a simple fix also. I would do another compression test before you do anything. 170psi is bazzarly perfect with your engine, especially if it is the original 88. Check that again.