Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Shifting Into Gear/s Issue (Not Shifter Seat)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 03:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Shifting Into Gear/s Issue (Not Shifter Seat)

Havin a bit of an issue shifting into gear (any), and could use some help narrowing down what it might be. I know my clutch is bout to take a crap on me here before too long (have a really bad habbit of riding it horribly when crawlin and muddin), but it's still got a bit of life left in it.

After my last offroadin trip (pulled out a horribly stuck k5), I noticed it was real hard to shift into or out of any gear while 4wd (hi or lo). And sometimes it'll show the same behavior in 2wd if I've been raggin it out.

I know what a worn out shifter seat feels like (cause I've needed to replace that for the last 60k miles or so), but this feels more like either the clutch doesn't want to engage/disengage (hydrolics?), or the syncros on the tranny have been chipped and whatnot (which I kind of doubt cause I never grind my gears except for occasionally shifting into reverse cause of the xcase shifter getting in the way). And I doubt it's my clutch giving up the ghost, cause with the clutch depressed and it in gear, it doesn't feel like it wants to move (which it's not supposed to anyways ya know?).

Any thoughts and ideas would be extremely helpfull.

Last edited by SwampThing; 01-16-2007 at 04:26 AM.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:46 AM

Thowout Bearing
Old 01-16-2007, 11:10 AM

check to see if you clutch pedal bracket it cracked
Old 01-16-2007, 11:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
most important question is "how many miles on that clutch?"

if you are near or over the change interval, save yourself the guesswork and replace the entire thing. get an OEM toyota clutch kit or any of the other recommended ceramic ones that people seem to like (TRD or centerforce?). id just go OEM unless you wheel it really hard.

my mistake was putting bandaids to mask the actual problem. here is what i did:

- Redline MT-90
- clutch shift bushing
- adjusted clutch pedal
- changed clutch MC and SC
- checked clutch bracket
- changed clutch shift bushing (later went w/ the unhappy spring mod instead)

...all of which needed to be done and should be done or checked, but the thing that made 99% of the difference was replacing in the clutch kit.

oh, make sure you or your mech knows what the hell they are doing. read my experience here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...t=synchronizer

and finally, there's a TON of info on clutch replacements, clutch kits, etc. get r' done!
bob

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 01-16-2007 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:46 PM

Well the clutch disc (centerforce stage 2), pilot bearing, clutch release bearing, pressure plate (oem), flywheel (resurfaced from marlin), and clutch master & release cylinders (aisin) were all replaced with whats inside the parentheses around 50k miles ago, so yeah it may be gettin close to when i'll need to replace em, but i don't think any of those components have taken a crap just yet. But I'm my own mech, and my clutch job has lasted 50k+ miles, so i musta done at lease a passible job lol.

How do I go about checkin the bracket, gotta dissconnect the master cylinder and clutch pedal assembly, or...? And just a kinda hunch, but how do you check/adjust the free-play to within spec?

Thanks for the help so far folks! Keep er comin!
Old 01-17-2007, 12:11 AM

Look at the brackets above your left foot.There may be cracks in the sheet metal around the pedal pivot.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:28 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Just for funsies, maybe pull a little trans. oil and check for particles. And those little clips that hold the throw out may have popped off. I'm just in the middle of doing a clutch on my '86, and when I pulled the trans. and looked at the throw out one clip was entirely gone from the clutch fork. Just a thought.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:38 AM

Well, I'll certainly try that tomorrow during daytime. I caint believe how cold it is here. Hell's finally frozen over. San Antonio is frozen solid! I aint used to this kind of weather. We like our coffee, women, and weather hot here in southern texas! lol...