YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Shaky shaky... (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/shaky-shaky-255329/)

Big Beefy 06-23-2012 06:24 PM

Shaky shaky...

Big Beefy here, this is my first post. My 88 Runner (4cyl, manual) has the shakes. It used to shake everywhere when I hit bumps. I checked the ball joints and replaced the lowers. Now it still shakes when I hit bumps, but I only feel it through my feet and the stick shakes. It can happen anywhere from about 20 to about 70 (the fastest I ever drive it). Because the stick shakes, I suspect that it's either a bad tranny mount or some sort of driveshaft issue, though I don't believe it's the latter because of the frequency of the shaking doesn't correlate with my past driveshaft issues with an 88 Wrangler. I checked the mount and, though old, it looks like it's ok. I pushed up on it and I could get it to move about 1/4-1/2 inch. I did see a small crack in the rubber. The driveshaft feels relatively tight, though I noticed that the thing (flange? yoke?) coming out of the rear diff seemed a bit loose, as if a bearing were worn. I don't see how this would only shake when i hit bumps though. I've rotated the tires and it still shakes. Anybody have any ideas?

Big Beefy 06-25-2012 05:50 AM

Really? 140 views and nobody has any input?

westjohns yota 06-25-2012 06:08 AM

check your tie rods? do you have any lift or anything on the truck? if you do your driveshaft could be out of alignment, i also know an idler arm or pitman arm will causeing unstabbleness in the front end

Big Beefy 06-25-2012 10:19 AM

Stock truck with no lift. Steering is tight. I'll check those anyway. Thanks for the input!

dropzone 06-25-2012 10:40 AM

Replace the mount, you should not be able to move it that much. Also inspect your motor mounts.

Big Beefy 06-25-2012 08:03 PM

Thanks man. I was already thinking of replacing all of the above just for peace of mind. Your bringing that up really makes up my mind. Now if I only had money... Anyway, thanks for the input!

XtraSlow_XtraCab 06-25-2012 09:07 PM

A transmission will have freeplay, but folks tend to re-use the gland nut on propellor flange nuts (A prop flange is the thingy with 4 holes that the driveshaft bolts to off of the tranny/ axle). The gland nut can be re-used IF they bend the self-locking tab back into place. Otherwise, the can spin loose.

Also, certain toyota trucks around this time period have recalls out for the steering idler arm FYI.

Big Beefy 06-28-2012 07:37 PM

Thanks xtra!

Big Beefy 07-28-2012 12:41 PM

Update:

So now I've replaced all tie rods, lower ball joints, idler arm, rear (transfer case) mount. I would have replaced the pitman arm but they sent the wrong part, so that will be next week. It still shakes. :bang: I also removed thee rear driveshaft and ruled out the rear end. The engine mounts seem fine (i put it in forward and reverse with the parking brake on and watched the engine). I would like to test the control arm bushings bit I don't know how. I tried to pry the arms right behind the bushings and I saw no play. I don't know what else it could be. Help!