86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Seeking to upgrade stock bumpers--need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seeking to upgrade stock bumpers--need suggestions

I'm now driving my third 1st gen. 4runner. I let my first one go in the early 2000s (regrets!). After totaling my second one a few years ago in a minor accident, my hubby searched and found me a new one, which is actually my dream vehicle ('89 Hilux Surf). I'm looking to upgrade the puny stock bumpers with something more substantial that will actually protect the vehicle from damage.

Does anyone have suggestions for a bumper or guard that provides ACTUAL protection and not just good looks. But hey, good looks are a bonus. We can weld, so that will open up more options. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-25-2016, 03:51 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
ARB for a front bumper
Old 08-25-2016, 06:30 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Figure out just what you want and build it
Old 08-26-2016, 05:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Addicted Offroad has nice bumpers too.
Search around to see what you like.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:38 AM

Northwest trail innovations has a nice weld together kit that's inexpensive although shipping might suck

You have 2 types u need to decide what you want- tube style or plate style

trailgear has nice tube style

arb has nice plate style w/ tube grille guard

had a TG tube style on my Tacoma and didn't like it- it left stuff exposed (windshield washer fluid tank) and just looked rudimentary I would prefer a plate style when I put one on my 4Runner. Note in TGs defense the bumper I used was meant for older toys I modified it to fit my 95.5 Tacoma so maybe why the lack of protection. Granted I never took that truck wheeling so wasn't big deal was a daily/camping rig only trails it seen where old logging roads to go shooting and/or gather wood.

edit since you can weld why not look around, find the features you want (style, light mounts, winch plate, D hooks, etc) and build it. Would be fun! I pretty much made my own I chopped the TG one up so much I considered it my own.

Good luck and congrats on your new Surf!

Last edited by 4RunnerFreak12; 08-26-2016 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:30 AM

If you make one yourself or have someone fabricate one it will be a lot cheaper. ARB is very good as well, but it is a bit pricey.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i agree that if you can make your own, that's the way to go. it's not too hard, see:

Old 08-26-2016, 02:00 PM

Drastic improvement! Both strength and cosmetically! Like the use of pan head bolts for a nice clean look. Seriously good job better repair then some I have seen!
Old 08-26-2016, 03:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Love the wood bumper! I've installed those on several log trucks and have had nothing but compliments. They also turned out to be tougher than the steel ones that were there before.

There are lots of good choices for bumpers. I built this little jewel out of my spare roll bar. I wanted to keep the stock look but still add a little protection and wanted to try something I hadn't seen before.
Attached Thumbnails Seeking to upgrade stock bumpers--need suggestions-new-led-lights.jpg   Seeking to upgrade stock bumpers--need suggestions-finished-welding.jpg  
Old 08-27-2016, 01:17 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
It is very seldom ever cheaper to build one of anything .

Figuring your design time fabrication time and build time

It all adds up compared to working with prints in hand

Having jigs and fixtures most often a materials and cut list

Then one can build just what one can think of

Maybe as I get older I find my labor to be worth even more !!
Old 08-28-2016, 11:43 AM

Gotta agree with you there Wyoming9

when I built mine I wasn't too thrilled with the cost- I bought it used for 150 then "hired" a friend of my bros to modify it, he was an idiot had the hoop nearly a 1/2" off center and set at a super
steep angle! I ended up redoing it myself in his driveway (I don't have welder) it came out nice but was pissed at dude he was very lucky he was friends with my bro! In the end wish I had just bought one.

Having said all that I would still consider all options. Figure out the style u like (tube or plate) and the options. I have had something as simple as a 2x6 steel bumper with the corners 45'd so it wrapped around the front of truck (ford ranger ugh!) and it was great- simple, effective and cheap. Really boils down to the design u like and the complexity and the tools u have. If you don't have a tube bender and dies then wouldn't be worth buying a bunch of stuff to make 1 bumper. But if u prefer plate style u wouldn't need tube bender. And can use a chop saw and 4" die grinder to do a lot of stuff. Really comes down to you- what u want and what u have to work with. Could always buy a hoop and make the rest.

Considering its YOUR dream vehicle my best advice to you. Don't settle! Do it once do it right. Figure out what you want in a front bumper, look around at ones from diff off-road company's and if you don't find what you want Build it! I plan to keep my 1st generation 4Runner for life so can relate to the emotion involved in modifying your dream vehicle.

I prefer plate style with a small hoop to protect grill and mount LED light bar in. Fortunately ALOT of (already mentioned) companies make them. Oh yeah don't forget we have a vendor section here and most give discounts to members so would be a good place to look. But would find what u want and get it/build it.

Oh and good thing bout buying vs building is warranty and safety. Companies that build these are pros they have spent countless hours in R&D, building, testing, and perfecting their designs. Then there product has to withstand abuse from 1000s and 1000s of ppl that are all using them to protect there vehicles in the toughest conditions (and the occasional trip to the mall and to get milk and eggs) so really there reputations are well earned and hence why they cost more.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:15 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
If you have a means to weld, I would personally lean toward the DIY approach because the bumper style I'd want (plate) are the more expensive option when buying a fabbed unit.

For the front bumper I'd definitely start with a pre-fabbed winch plate, likely the TG version since it has a receiver and it's the cheapest one. Simply mock up cardboard for the rest in 3/16" plate.

For the rear, I'd just use a piece of C-channel or box tube as a base and keep it simple.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:05 AM

I am loving that wooden bumper! Ha ha... Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll take a look at the companies suggested and the vendor section (great tip!), and then make a decision. The best part of creating it would be that I can get just what I want. However, like others mentioned, time is increasingly valuable as I get older, and we bought a house that's a constant project, so all our extra time is going to the house right now. I'm not in a hurry, so I have time to research. Thanks again for the ideas!
Old 08-31-2016, 11:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll probably buy one of these kits when I get to the rear bumper.

4x4 Labs

I have one on my Land Cruiser and it is amazing. The Land Cruiser bumper kit was very easy to weld as the bumper is very well designed, laser cut and bent. I am 90% sure the 4Runner bumper requires no or very little vehicle modification. I need to contact Luke (the owner) about that.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:29 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
With any vendor your may pick be sure to ask what their lead time is.
Several are small shops that may be backed up for a few weeks or even longer.
Also google a vendor's BBB rating or just google 'Vender ABC's customer service reputation. There are several Toyota Fabricators/vendors that have lousy reputations.