Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

seafoam to synthetic on my 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 03:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
seafoam to synthetic on my 3.0

okay. heres the scoop. i have 190 k miles on my 4runner (95)....

i want to do seafoam really bad, and i know it needs it.

then i would like to switch to a synthetic probably mobile 1.

heres my questions:

i live in the desert and it gets pretty hot and cold too (in winter times, but not anything close to freezing) (not dusty here..)
last week was a hot week and was like 110.. this is why i think the synthetic will do better in my truck..

californians drive freeway's 24/7 and there are tons of them around... so im a freeway driver, but still, mostly city driver...

i have an oil leak. i add a quart when it needs it here and there.

would it hurt to do this swap at this high of mileage, with the leak, having run dino juice all its life?

yes, i looked at bobistheoil guy, but i want opinions on my truck not just opinions on "older cars..."

and yes, i looked at the mobile 1 thread... i know there is a lot of differing opinions. i just want to know if it will hurt me in the end or not... i dont see that spending an extra 20-30 bucks for an oil change matters to me.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:31 PM
Contributing Member

Keep with the 10-30. Synthetic at 190K will not help you. If anything, it will make your leak worse, and maybe more of them. If you were gonna switch, you should do it before 100K
Old 09-08-2007, 03:32 PM

bummer. so im "over the hill" lol.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
go for the mobil 1! just keep an eye on the oil level. if it makes the leak worse then switch back. as long as you dont let the level run too low it wont do any damage.

ps. if you do your own oil changes mobil 1 10w-30 is like $19/5 quart jug @ walmart (if im remembering right)

if it burns way more than it is now then just switch back during the following oil change
Old 09-08-2007, 07:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
do 1/2 a can of seafoam into your brake booster line and then the rest into your gastank
Old 09-08-2007, 07:42 PM

oh yeah, i got all that written down pat!!! im gonna do 1/2 a can wait like 2 hours lol, then turn it on, pump it all out of there....

then 1/2 can in the crankcase 250 miles before the change...

and then i guess 2 cans in the tank baby!!! ill fill it up about halfway and run 2 cans in there... or should i do 1/4 tank with 2 cans?
Old 09-08-2007, 07:44 PM

i guess ill try it. if it leaks/ burns and i have to end up adding it before what 1000 miles, then should i just change it back after about 3k? i mean, ive heard of ppl having oil leaks, switching to synthetic and then having no leaks whatsoever! :]
Old 09-08-2007, 07:51 PM
Contributing Member

I've done this before with a higher mileage vehicle, too. I had no leaks before, and when I made the switch, I discovered a little puddle in the driveway. I'm just saying that the benefits will not outweigh the extra cost of the synthetic. If the 10W-30 has worked this far, it will probably work even further. Thats my $0.02. Do what you want, it's your car after all.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:54 PM

how big of a puddle are we talking. i mean i heard that synthetic was just as thick as regular oil......
Old 09-08-2007, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just picked up my new to me 4Runner. With 116000mi. I changed all the fluids to synthetic. I seafoamed the fuel system, oil and induction system as well as cleaned my throttle body and airflow sensor. It runs mint. But I didn't have any leaks.

As for synthetic, most people will say its too late. But if you have the money to add the oil if you have a leak (because most likely it will leak more) do it. The synthetic will do its job just like dino oil but better. But the main reason is cost. why add $7-10 a quart a couple times between oil changes. thats a lot of money in the whole scheme of things. so............if your not leaking bad, DO IT. If you are leaking lots, DONT DO IT.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:03 PM
Contributing Member

It is if you stick with the 10-30 equivalent. The leak was small, but the synthetic oil performs differently in different rigs. I liked the way that it revved with ease, and it seemed to run cooler with synthetic. But I had a hard time justifying spending over $40 just to change the oil. I'm just saying, that it might be wise just to do one or the other. Seafoam, or synthetic, because those deposits left on the inside of your engine might be the only thing keeping it from leaking, or burning oil, or stuff like that. If you want to check out the difference, try a synthetic blend. They cost less than full synthetic, and give better performance than regular 10-30. Good Luck.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:20 PM

hmmmm i have alot to think about lol... i guess, what i will do is clean the bottom where my leak is (i posted pics in another thread..) and then if they return fairly quick then ill leave the 20-50 in there... if not, then i think i will try the synthetic. ill see if it leaks more after my seafoam also. i think that is a good way to determine this.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by infiltrator
hmmmm i have alot to think about lol... i guess, what i will do is clean the bottom where my leak is (i posted pics in another thread..) and then if they return fairly quick then ill leave the 20-50 in there... if not, then i think i will try the synthetic. ill see if it leaks more after my seafoam also. i think that is a good way to determine this.
Good Call. I'm in the same boat you're in. My 4Runner has 198,000 and I have been a little weary of Seafoaming it, just because I want it to pass smog if I do decide to sell it. I believe that those deposits(and maybe some luck) are some of the few things keeping my engine from being a polluting machine. In my case, It is real obvious that the previous 7 or 8 owners were not kind to my poor 4Runner. I know this because I had to put another motor in it. Anyway, just try your seafoam, see if it leaks, and then maybe try a blend.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:07 PM

oh yeah for sure. i will let you know what happens to everything, and if all goes well, we have the same mileage just about. if everything goes well, you can do it too. ill be the test rat lol. i also agree that the grime is helping stop the pollution, but it also cant be too good for the truck all together. if it does clear, with no leakage, ill know god touched my 4runner lol.

damn 7-8 owners, this ones been in the family! lol.

next couple things i want to do is shocks, springs, rotors, speakers, plugs, air filter, isr, a/c, and finally the 3.4 swap baby!!!

i just wish i knew someone who could help me/ buddy up with fixing my runner as well as his.. :[

the funny thing is i see ppl all around with 4runners 2nd gen and up and im like... hmmm maybe they are on yota tech ahahha. i know im lame.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:18 PM
Contributing Member

oh yeah for sure. i will let you know what happens to everything, and if all goes well, we have the same mileage just about. if everything goes well, you can do it too. ill be the test rat lol. i also agree that the grime is helping stop the pollution, but it also cant be too good for the truck all together. if it does clear, with no leakage, ill know god touched my 4runner lol.

damn 7-8 owners, this ones been in the family! lol.

next couple things i want to do is shocks, springs, rotors, speakers, plugs, air filter, isr, a/c, and finally the 3.4 swap baby!!!

i just wish i knew someone who could help me/ buddy up with fixing my runner as well as his.. :[

the funny thing is i see ppl all around with 4runners 2nd gen and up and im like... hmmm maybe they are on yota tech ahahha. i know im lame.
Yeah, mine's been through the family, too......Just not mine . Carfax says it's only been sold at two salvage auctions(yeah right, ONLY 2). She's been through a lot, but when I got her, she was sitting in a junkyard with a blown up motor, and damage to the rear tailgate, and one NASTY looking interior, complete with budwieser cans, and cigarette butts. I paid $250 for it. Now, with another motor, a New interior, new tires, brakes, battery, belts, hoses, CV's, bushings, and just about everything else, she's ready to party once again. But, yeah, I know where you're at, I know a ton of people with newer, and older 4Runners, and some pickups of the some year, but they just beat the living piss out of their rigs. I'm not looking at the 3.4 swap anymore, I just figure I'll save up my $$$ and get a 3rd gen, and supercharge it!!! I'll keep my 2nd gen as a wheeler, and secondary "economy" (cough) vehicle...
Old 09-08-2007, 11:40 PM

lol yes i totally agree with the 3rd gen instead of the 3.4 ive made up my mind.... and the economy car, arent hondas the best hmmm....

the few things im scared about are like this.
the newer cars, its hard to choose, because the parts are made cheaper these days. they dont make cars/truck with as much (not even close) to as much metal as they used to...

parts are made of plastics....
who knows how long these new cars/truck will last??? its a big risk to take...
and i hear in 10 years, all NEW cars must have 50 mpg, so ill stick with the older ones, and take my power hehehe.

i also must say congrats damn dude you must have put alot of time and effort in your rig. dont be surprised if i nag you on how to do everything though lol.

and, i love yota tech too much, im on like as much as i check my e-mail/myspace/yotatech. i am bored at work, i go on. at home, i go on lol. its a nice feeling to have ppl that wanna help you out there.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:55 PM
Contributing Member

lol yes i totally agree with the 3rd gen instead of the 3.4 ive made up my mind.... and the economy car, arent hondas the best hmmm....

the few things im scared about are like this.
the newer cars, its hard to choose, because the parts are made cheaper these days. they dont make cars/truck with as much (not even close) to as much metal as they used to...

parts are made of plastics....
who knows how long these new cars/truck will last??? its a big risk to take...
and i hear in 10 years, all NEW cars must have 50 mpg, so ill stick with the older ones, and take my power hehehe.

i also must say congrats damn dude you must have put alot of time and effort in your rig. dont be surprised if i nag you on how to do everything though lol.

and, i love yota tech too much, im on like as much as i check my e-mail/myspace/yotatech. i am bored at work, i go on. at home, i go on lol. its a nice feeling to have ppl that wanna help you out there.
I just like the newer body style. I also like my 1994, and, it's my baby, so I'll probably never sell it. I just need something with a little better(actually a lot better) paint, and something that will clean up nice. I want a 3rd gen because they have more horsepower, more aftermarket support for the 3.4, supercharging capability, coil springs(allows for cheap spacer lifts) and upgraded interior. I still have problems with my 94 Runner, though. It Idles at around 200-400RPM sometimes, and it feels like it is missing. No check engine lights, but I just don't know what is wrong with it. I still need to check my sparkplug wires. I have the downey headers, and sometimes they like to melt my sparkplug wires and make the runner run like . And, I know what you are saying about the plastics, but coming from a family of bodymen, and mechanics, plastics are better, because they bend, rather than dent, and are generally easier to deal with than metal panels. Sometimes in parking lots, I wish my 94's bumpers had some plastic on them. Too many old lady's hitting my car and driving off. I also had to replace my rear bumper before I've been hit so many times(little dents, but still look $h|tty) another $250. Oh, yeah, My A/C doesn't work either, but the good news is Summer is almost over.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:18 AM

I was having the same problem as you are. Small oil leak. I seafoamed than put synthetic and the leak got worst. I put the regular oil back in and leak has gone down significantly.

I would try and fix the leak before you switch to synthetic if anything.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:34 AM

side note. sea foam may make a little leak into a massive leak even if you stay with dino oil. any sludge or grime that is built up around the seat preventing it from leaking will get washed away. maybe just sea foam the induction system.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:32 AM

I switched to synthetic oil at 144,000 miles. Been running 3,000 miles (in a little over a year, I don't drive much) and had no leaks. I did notice it ran cooler. I wouldn't hesitate a bit to change.

Quick Reply: seafoam to synthetic on my 3.0