Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Sea Foam... do you want the truth?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seafoam does have deisel, and marine recommendations as well, I just don't remember what they are. I think it says on the can for how to treat diesel, and I think there is a seperate can alltogether, for marine applications.
NOW FOR A SEAFOAM UPDATE!!!!

Last year, I had my emmissions test done, and in Texas , they check for a pretty good number of things, including running at idle, and running at freeway speeds, or at least a 3000rpm rev, I think. last year my numbers were pretty high, and my total nox/vox number during high rpm was right on the top number line; one more digit and I would have failed.( I have a 92 caprice).
I did the seafoam treatment, as you can see, at the beginning of this thread.
Last week, I had my new years emmissions test done; ALL NUMBERS DROPPED BY AT LEAST HALF, AND SOME NUMBERS DROPPED QUITE A BIT MORE THAN THIS!!!! I was stoked to say the least, and this , with my engine that burns oil a bit. In the meantime, I did absolutely no other work to my car, except for normal jiffy lube stuff.
I used no diff gas, and did not switch to premium. So therefore, I am
completely sold on the Seafoam treatments, and what it can do, just make sure you do it right; in other words, the way I did it!!!

Last edited by rangerruck; 04-18-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:00 PM

I love the stuff..
Old 04-20-2009, 01:15 AM

Just did a fresh oil and oil filter change. Drove it for 16 miles to work and Imma monitor the oil to see how long it takes to get dark. Once it starts getting dark imma change the oil and oil filter once again and not add the seafoam to see if stays clean longer..
Old 04-21-2009, 07:36 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Once upon a time I had a 82 Olds Cutlass which I turfed the 267 and put in a 350. Going down the road I suddenly had a white plume behind the car- mechanic said it was a head gasket. replaced the head gaskets but still had the smoke....turns out the TH350's had a vacume module hooked to the carb which pinholed so the carb was sucking in Dexron. I have to say when I pulled the top end off that engine the heads/valves and pistons were like new. I'm going to pull a small vacume line off the 22re and feed it about .5 to 1L of Dexron then hit the highway. Lots of detergent and lube.

Last edited by davefarr; 04-21-2009 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:59 PM

^^
I helped rebuild an engine like that one time. Coolant had leaked into one of the cylinders and that one cylinder was sparkly clean compared to the others. I guess coolant does have a cleaning property of some type.

I just ran 2 sea foam treatments through my steering vacuum line tonight. You guys were not kidding about the smoke. I let it idle for a while and then I took it out on the highway. After I got it all cleared out the idle seemed to be more consistent and smooth than before.

I have been fighting some rough idle and I think this may have been my solution.

Last edited by Chutchman; 04-21-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:21 AM

how do you put seafoam in your gas or oil
Old 04-25-2009, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by codeman
how do you put seafoam in your gas or oil
By pouring it in your gas tank or crank case respectively.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:39 AM

I can’t believe my first post is going to be on Seafoam… but here we go.

With all due respect to the OP the obviously biased source of the info he posted results in the type of answers I’d expect: “100% petroleum, blahblahblah…” A bunch of sales-eaze (or SLEAZE as I call it).

So here’s the rub, if you want facts go to the only place Seafoam is required to provide actual FACTS, the MSDS. If you read the MSDS you will notice some interesting tid-bits of info:

You’ll see Seafoam is nothing but a pale oil, naptha and isoproponal. Naptha was commonly used as a varnish and lacquer thinner, so it makes sense that if you have THOSE issues then Seafoam could help.

But you’ll also notice the stuff is toxic (actually classed as a D2A “Very toxic material”), caution should be taken when using it, (PPE, well ventilated area, etc…)

Excerpt from the Hazards Identification section of the MSDS:

EMERGENCY OVERVIEW

Clear liquid. Typical odour. Warning! Flammable liquid and vapour. Vapours may cause flash fire. Harmful or fatal if swallowed. Can enter the lungs and cause damage. Harmful if inhaled. May cause nausea, vomiting, headache and other central nervous system effects. Causes eye irritation. May cause skin irritation. May have fetotoxic effects, based on animal studies.

Inhalation: Inhalation of vapours can cause nasal and respiratory irritation. Exposure to high vapour concentration can cause dizziness, nausea and central nervous system depression. May be fatal if inhaled. Breathing saturated vapours for a few minutes may be fatal. Saturated vapours can be encountered in confined spaces and/or under conditions of poor ventilation.

It is incompatible with alkali metals (present as additives in oil) and aluminum.

Excerpt from the Handling and Storage section of the MSDS:

Incompatible materials : Strong oxidizing agents; Strong acids; Alkali metals; Aluminium; Phosgene; Potassium oxides; Crotonaldehyde, Trinitromethane.

If you run a high quality synthetic fluid and good quality gasoline from day one you should never need Seafoam. Synthetic fluid has a high level of detergents already. If you have an old truck with unknown maintenance history Seafoam could very well help but are you trading long term life of the machine and your health for a quick fix to performance issues and a fancy smoke show???

Some things to consider at least…
Old 07-21-2009, 10:57 AM
Contributing Member

Good first post.

Yes,if you have a neglected older motor Seafoam might do wonders but on a well kept motor Seafoam would be a waste of time and I see no need to bother with my "only" 10 year old motor.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:03 AM

I think that stuff works wonders lol because i have a nissan 720 (im driveing it while my yoter is down) but it constintly died at sop lights, it was guttless, it deisled really bad and now it doesnt die as often its certanly faster and it doest dieslel as bad now lol
Old 12-29-2009, 06:24 AM

Im abou tto do the seafoam treatment.

1. Ive been reading and searching, is it a good idea to do it before a tune up or after? Because, I gave my truck new plugs and dont wanna do it again? I read somewere that it s not a good idea, but on Seafoam's website, does not mention it?
Old 12-29-2009, 06:28 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
You should be alright but me I would have done it with the old plugs. You "Should" be alright.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:53 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ogclew
Im abou tto do the seafoam treatment.

1. Ive been reading and searching, is it a good idea to do it before a tune up or after? Because, I gave my truck new plugs and dont wanna do it again? I read somewere that it s not a good idea, but on Seafoam's website, does not mention it?
It's definitely better to do the seafoaming before changing plugs and especially O2 sensor (if you're changing that). Seafoam washes oil & gunk from the intake into the cylinder where it burns and some deposits wind up on the plugs, even as the seafoam is removing some carbon and other deposits from the piston head, valves and head. Then even more garbage runs down the exhaust where (if the engine was badly gunked up and it had not been seafoamed in quite a while) the the gunk can foul the O2 sensor. So best to install the new parts after.

If the goal is just to blow out some of the carbon and deposits inside the cylinder, an alternative is to use water. It won't remove oil and gunk from the intake like seafoam will, but it is effective at blowing out some of the carbon. This post gives some info on that:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...l#post51124041

Seafoam's corrosiveness to soft metal (mentioned by Kiely upthread) is due to the isopropyl alcohol: all alcohol is corrosive of soft metals, and that includes the ethanol added by the oil companies to our gasoline. The brief use of seafoam won't have any measurable harmful effects to the aluminum; nowhere near as much as the chronic, corrosive effect of the ethanol in our gas:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...28#post2713028
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...79#post2642279
Old 12-29-2009, 08:44 AM

... also to the guy above, it is also effective at helping to clean out your cat.
so if you don't think your 10 year old motor could benefit from a seafoam treatment... well... I just beg to differ.
I used it on my perfectly treated engine, in my caprice, that was a county engineers vehicle, who drove it 20 miles a day, and took care of it meticulously, and then driven by me, who also takes documented care of it, since I got the vehicle. Motor was 15 years old when I got it, but had less than 100k miles on it. again, on my previous smog test, 2 tests ago, the nox was a bit high, near the limit. Figured it was a crapped up o2 sensor or CAT; used the seafoam, about 2 weeks before testing,went back for the next years test
(this past year), and all levels had dropped, nox was nowhere near the limit this time around.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:46 AM

... to ogclew; it should be just fine, it'll just clean the crap out of
everything else!!
Old 01-20-2010, 02:57 PM

Awesome thread bro! I've been on here for a few months now and have seen "sea foam" on numerous occasions. I always wondered what exactly it was and what it's applications were.
I just picked up a bottle at Wallyworld and it was $7.77 here in springfield tn. I'm getting ready to use the break line method twice then pour the rest in the tank.
I've done some other work like the pcv valve vac line check and pulled codes ( not throwing any but still have a strange surging problem)
well, I'm gonna give it a go and see what's what and I'll post my opinion of the results here.

Thanks again for the informative thread
Old 01-20-2010, 05:28 PM

In a word... Amazing! I was almost shocked. After 2 treatments through the brake line and the rest in the gas tank, immediately I now have extremely great throttle response an insanely low (gas saving) idle 600 rpm and major get-up-and-go! I use to have a bogging problem at take off and a surging problem when I let off the gas... Not anymore! It runs better than when I bought it! I was very skeptical at first but now after the treatment, i'm gonna use it on all my cars. Who would have thought that a $7.77 bottle of liquid could possibly cure all that ails your engine? Can't wait to put it in the oil and see if there are even more benefits

Thanks again for the thread!... If not for people like you willing to put some effort into research and spreading the word here, I'd still be plagued with idle and throttle issues.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:11 PM

Good for you dude!!! I have used it many times, and am totally sold on it myself, after putting it in yourcrankcase, drive about 100 miles, then do a oil change. check your driveway for new sprung leaks, if yo uhave them, switch to a heavy grade oil for a while- to help reclose up some of the tiny holes you just opened up!!!

Last edited by rangerruck; 01-20-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:19 PM

She sounds pretty tight but I hope I don't have any leaks after the oil treatment, can't afford to many projects right now lol.

Wil I notice any more performance or benefits after the oil treatment?, or is the plenum and injector treatment the only treatment that gives immensely noticeable benefits?
Old 01-21-2010, 04:48 AM

whether they are noticed or not, is up to your rig... with a smoother , cleaner
system, for your nice clean oil to move through, well... it's like you having nice, clean arteries for your blood to move through!!!! So overall , it should run even a bit smoother, and cooler at that, once you clean the gunk out of the crankcase/oil system.