Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Sea Foam... do you want the truth?

Old 12-01-2008, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW!!!! A dude (me) tries to spread a little knowledge on a product, that has been talked about on here for a long time, and multiple threads, thought I was doing a favor, but apparently I am no more than a PR employee, for a multimillion dollar company , that has been in the business a long time, even though they keep me employed, and man I cnat' spelll. Glad you guys who are so nice, and non skeptical, who like a little more clarity on the use of a product, and way more knowledeable than I , know me so well.
Seriously dudes, lighten up; again , just trying to help. As far as a third party goes, I will try to get some of that info from him tommorrow, but remember, I also said that he himself , when he was a mechanic, used this product many times himself, doing the same cleaning treatments, years before he went to
work for the company.

Last edited by rangerruck; 12-01-2008 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your efforts are much appreciated by me..at least. Thanks.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
And with all due respect, I appreciate your efforts too.

I'm getting ready to do an oil change on my wife's truck and for no other reason than to give it another chance, I'm going to perform a 'Seafoam' treatment into the intake manifold, and put the rest into the crankcase.
... if some one is willing to guarantee I won't have a problem, that is.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:54 PM

The PO of my truck ran it for awhile with thet HG's done. There must have been at least 3 litres of coolant in the oil pan which sat there for about 6 to 8 months.
I took the risk and just replaced the HG's hoping the bottom end would hold together after being immersed in coolant for so long. I did 3 oil changes and the oil kept coming out in a chocolate milk, no matter how hot. And after filling it up/running it, the oil came out brown and milky again.
I tried putting a litre of deisel in it and that didn't do much either. The 4th and fifth oil/filter change with the seafoam treatment came out clean and no milky residue has returned. The bottom end has been fine for about 4 months of daily driving, with a ton of backroads driving on the weekends and a couple week long trips.
I did the intake and gas tank move and didn't notice any difference.

Rangerruck, what other car forums are you on?
Old 12-01-2008, 08:57 PM

I am totally new to not only toyotas, but do it yourself type car maintenance as well. what is PO's, and what is HG's?
oh yeah, make sure when you do the intake treatments , do 3 things, first make sure the engine is running , and at normal operating temps. let is sit for about 20 mins or more, the dude told me he let his sit for 30 mins or more. Do more than 1 treatment, at least 6 ounces at a time. once the hose sucks down all the stuff, turn off engine as fast as possible, then do the waiting.
I was on some other Ford Forums, until I was persuaded by mechanic here in houston; he told me even though the Ford straight 6 is a great engine, for his money he would do a yota 22re engine, anyday.
So I got the yota, and man I love it. I'm on a couple of other yota forums as well, to get as much info
as possible.

Last edited by rangerruck; 12-01-2008 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:07 PM

PO = previous owner
HG = Head Gaskets
Old 12-01-2008, 09:12 PM

so if I am reading right, and imagining right, you took off the oil pan, and not only was it full of water and coolant, but the bottomof the block was also sitting in that stuff? did you get to look at it? was it all rusty and cruddy? and was it like bone dry and lube on it at all, when all the coolant drained out?
I guess yotas do make a fabulous engine, like my Mech told me.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:16 PM

I have ran them dry of every fluid, unknowingly of course, and I always got home. I <3 Toyota!
Old 12-02-2008, 01:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wanted to read all of that, really I did...

But when you posted those huge pics it knocked the sides of your text off the edges of my screen so I have to scroll back and forth and unless there is Heather Locklear's phone number in there somewhere it just ain't worth it because it's just too long.

How about resizing the pics or just deleting them all together?

No one here really wants to see pics of that tank anyway.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
im have always had good results with sea foam. the only close to bad experiences iv had with sea foam is when it didn't make an huge difference. i think your results will be based on how crudded up your motor is. on my spouses 2003 ford focus that does not get a lot of miles put on it and all city miles and she drives like an grandma. It started developing an miss check engine light came on scanned it for codes came up with misfire on cyl #3 so i did a tune up plugs wires and the works the problem did not go away ran an compression check and everything came out good so that basically just left injectors. ran an half can in the tank got a little better ran the other half can on the next fill up and then the problem went away and has not come back. we have an dodge van at work every few months it starts missing real bad and stalling at idle when it does this we will dump an can of sea foam in the gas tank and it can be sitting there idling and within 5 mins it smooths out and runs good. i ran it on my motorcycle and it ran better, iv done treatments on almost everything iv owned and its always made an improvement some more drastic than others. i have not yet tried it in the crankcase but i might try it after reading this post iv always been worried about it decreasing the lubrication property of the oil
Old 12-02-2008, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by rangerruck
WOW!!!! A dude (me) tries to spread a little knowledge on a product, that has been talked about on here for a long time, and multiple threads, thought I was doing a favor, but apparently I am no more than a PR employee, for a multimillion dollar company , that has been in the business a long time, even though they keep me employed, and man I cnat' spelll. Glad you guys who are so nice, and non skeptical, who like a little more clarity on the use of a product, and way more knowledeable than I , know me so well.
Seriously dudes, lighten up; again , just trying to help. As far as a third party goes, I will try to get some of that info from him tommorrow, but remember, I also said that he himself , when he was a mechanic, used this product many times himself, doing the same cleaning treatments, years before he went to
work for the company.
thanks for your efforts. i just hope you realize that he probably was lying about some points, though which points i couldnt say. i mean come on, you're talking to a customer service rep for a big company. they will say ANYTHING to get you to buy stuff. (i know that from experience). im surprised he didnt mention the bad thing about adding seafoam to your crank case. if u add it to your oil, it does clean up sludge. however, occasionally that sludge is preventing an oil leak, thus you remove the sludge, you have an oil leak and get pissed off that the seafoam caused you to have leaks. get it? it prob wont happen if an engine has been taken care of, but mine, since the PO didnt take care of it well, im not touching seafoam until i rebuild.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:41 AM

I have thought about that myself, and I have not thought that there is that many nooks, crannies, and hiding places, like a tranny. that is why I am not mentioning the tranny stuff at all, and I did not with him either.
I have had tranny folks tell me, to never, EVER, do a thorough cleaning job
on a tranny, for just the reason you say. just do a simple empty and drain, and refill.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:48 AM

yeah. on an auto they reccomend doing a flush service. well every shop ive ever worked at, they do. i dont know the service interval, since i dont have an auto. what is it, like every 10k miles? i couldnt imagine putting seafoam in a tranny though... JESUS... goodbye tranny
Old 12-02-2008, 06:50 AM

According to the dude, he does 2 or 3 cleaning treatments, until his oil and filter stays clean, for at least 3000 miles, then after that, he just adds a few ounces during each oil change, to keep his crankcase clean.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:00 AM

Used Seafoam on my already-running-tight Accord with no noticeable results. Also ran it on a hand-me-down '91 Taurus and it made a world of difference in throttle response and idle smoothness. Would I use it again? Yes.

My .03 cents (we're in a recession)
Old 12-02-2008, 09:00 AM

How do you do the vac hose trick on the intake. I have a 3.slow. I'll search too, but if anybody knows a link would be appreciated.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:43 AM

well im glad to see someone put the effort into calling an *expert* on the product, even if he does work for the company. thanks for doing the leg work. im going to do it this weekend just to see what happens. over 180k on original motor no rebuilds so im expecting alot of smoke but it idles really rough right now so if it makes a difference it will be notable. once again thanks for the information even if its like asking a democrat whats good about democrats
Old 12-02-2008, 01:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Quick question: does adding a few ounces of sea foam to a full tank of gas really make that much of a difference to the injectors? Isn't the sea foam getting diluted too much for it to do anything? (this also applies for fuel injector cleaners)

Don't cleaners do a better job when they're concentrated?
Old 12-02-2008, 05:03 PM

I like to think I am a decent judge of character; he told me all the stuff he did as a mech before ever working for Seafoam, and I felt pretty good about it.
He agreed with the idea of maintenance for cleaning to the gas tank, and he said no, you don't need to go overboard; once you've got it cleaned out the way you like, just follow the instructions on the back of the can, or maybe less, depending on you really, is what he said, some guys he said, would add a bit ever tank, some would add every 5 tanks, and some would go 10k before maybe calming down an idle. He said detergents and cleaners, would over the long run , have a better chance of eroding the tips of the injectors, than would this stuff, though even that would still be tough to do , you would have to overdo your cleaning routine. Just remember, when doing the intake, do at least 2 treatments to begin with, and make usure your engine is running, at normal temps, and turn it off as soon as you suck the last bit up. I like at least a 20 min. wait. then turn on engine, blow all the crap out for about 10mins, the redo the treatment. My Pvc hose was pretty short, but the vacuum hose coming off of the back of the master brake cyl, was long and flexy, so I used that one, along with a glass measuring cup, and filled to 6 ounces. It is easy to see, through the glass, and I didn't worry about the Foam, eating up a plastic container any.
Just look for about a 1/2 diameter hose coming off the back of your brake
cylinder, on the firewall, proly right in front of the drivers side, next to where
you add your brake fluid.

according to a few responses I have read, on all the massive amounts of Seafoam threads out there, some dudes get very good response, just adding it to the tank. Calms down their idol, and lowered
emissions enough to pass State test, if they were a little over.

Last edited by rangerruck; 12-02-2008 at 05:05 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:18 AM

well i just now did a treatment thru the brake booster line. gat a ton of white smoke out of it just as i shut it off. when i started it back up 5 minutes later it was still smoking white. but it did seem to smooth out the idle a bit. ill do it again in an hour or 2 and see what happens.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sea Foam... do you want the truth?