Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Sea Foam... do you want the truth?

Old 12-01-2008, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sea Foam... do you want the truth?

Okay, I am putting this in two places, and on other sites, as I don't know where it should officially go, but i want as many peeps and homies as possible to read this. I got totally bugged out , becuase so much speculation was going on here, with the one thread being 23 pages long, and 4 years old. I couldn't stand it anymore, so i called Sea Foam.
I was transferred to Jim Davis, Technical Director/ Research, of Sea Foam. and we had quite a cordial conversation, a real easy going guy, he is college educated, with a degree in automotive technology, has 35 years experience in the automotive repair industry , and is an A.S.E. certified mechanic. He has been with Seafoam, I think, the last 5 years, as his doctor told him, his body was just too out of whack, to handle mech work anymore.
So I will try to write as much as I remember, from my chicken scratch.
First off, I asked all the questions I wanted, such as , will it hurt, is it damaging to any parts at all, can it be used as maintenance, what do you do after you use the product, does anything need to be changed out, etc., etc.
First, he stressed multiple times, that this was a 100% petroleum product, nothing else. He said this many times during our conversation. he said there is nothing added, no fillers, no astringents, no mulsifiers, cleaners, detergents, nothing at all.
so how exactly does it work? Well , as you know, there is more than just carbon in your engine, there is salt , sulfur, all kinds of vox, and nox materials, you name it. How does it get stuck in there, and not filtered out? Simple, alot of the stuff we normally add, including gas, has a certain amount of sludge, varnish, lacquer, and gums added to it. This is the stuff, that sticks to walls, pistons, etc., especially when cooling. then all the other stuff we talk about, including carbon, gets stuck to this stuff, carbon, small micron stuff, other nox and vox particles.
Seafoam attacks and disolves the varnish, gum, sludge, and lacquer in there primarily, and then begins to break up , the other stuff.
Once this happens, all the junk is now freefloated back into suspension, and can be filtered out, or burnt out, of your various systems.
Seafoam does 3 other things primarily; controls and locks up moisture, adds lubricity without viscoscity, and cleans without adding any chemicals at all.

Does it harm other materials? In a word, no. He told me that right now, around their research area, they have multiple glass , sealed jars of Seafoam, with various things in each jar. plastic, rubber, seals, o-rings, pencil pieces, paper clips, bits and pieces of everything. Some of the items, in some of the jars, have not been opened or disturbed for 3 plus years now. he said, these bottles and items are studied through mag glass, and items looked at closely through microscopes, with no apparent natural destruction, loss, or dispersal,or disfiguration, becuase the item was sitting in Seafoam.
So you do not have to worry about your gaskets , seals, o-rings, etc., from exposure to seafoam.
he also said as a former tech, he did this same cleaning job many, many times, to multiple autos, and only one time did he have a problem.
It was with a car, driven by an old dude, who never drove it over 45 miles per hour, never put it on the highway, never got it hot, allways in traffic/city driving, and never driven over 20 miles, in either direction. he said it was just so full of carbon and junk, that the gum/lacquer did get on his 02 sensor, and a chunk of carbon did stick to that. he replaced said o2 sensor, and did another cleaning job, and the car drove like new. he said the old dude was so
impressed , becuase it drove the way it did , when he bought it new.
Again, 1 problem encountered, in all the times he did this cleaning job.
I asked will it harm injectors over time, or will it harm or dirty up the spark plugs, again the answer was no. As a matter of fact, he said, it will do nothing to the injectors but clean them real well, and it will proly make your spark plugs look like new, after a 2 or maybe 3 cleaning jobs.
I asked if it was too much, becuase gas contains cleaners and detergents in it as well, plus using this as a cleaner. he said no, because seafoam will clean out the detergents and cleaners as well, plus he said, only the really big gas peeps put cleaners in their gas, such as BP, shell, Chevron, Exxon, and even they do not put it in all grades of their gas. So if you are buying gas at Bud's truck and beer stop, it proly does not have cleaners/detergents in it.

OIL. I then asked about adding it to your oil and gas tanks; he said follow
the amounts on the directions, and you will be fine. Again, it adds lubricity and removes moisture, from you various systems, even the exaust system.
this is good , as i noticed, several drops of not only water, from using this on both my cars, but noticed a bit of goo coming from the 4runner pipe.
Specifically, in oil, it breaks up, and cleans up, all the junk in your oil system.
the longer you leave it in, the more it breaks up this crap, it should then be able to be filtered out of your system, and will turn your oil dark.
He said, how long you leave it in is up to you, the longer you leave it in, the more cleaning it does, then you can change your oil. then you can put more in, and clean again. You can keep doing this, until your oil system is clean, then do this for maintenance. the stuff that it breaks up and loosens up,
should not damage your system anyway, it should get filtered out, your pistons, and stuff will continue to smash this stuff up, and is stronger than the junk. Until it gets filtered out, or you keep changing your oil, until it starts to run clean for at least a couple thousand miles.
MAINTENANCE. I asked about maintenance, and changing out stuff; except for your filters, and the one bad example from above, you should not need to change anything else out. for using as regular maintenance, he said, not only is it fine, but he has been doing it for years. once his oil is clean to the way he likes it, and he thinks his intake system/injectors are clean the way he likes, then he just addes to his crank case, about every 6k or every other oil change, before he does the oil change a day or two, and adds for gas, to the recommended amt on the back of the bottle, so it keeps everything clean, lubed, and keeps out moisture.
i again asked specifically if it would harm injectors over time, he then went into a long story about injectors, and how you can balance them, and how they work, etc., etc., and then finally he said, no, it will not harm injectors, maybe cleaners or detergents in gas will , over a long time, but seafoam will clean out that stuff anyway, and again he said, only some of the big gas companies use cleaners, in all their diff levels of gas anyway as well.
Also when it comes to maint, it does such a good job of lubricity, he says it keeps the lacquer/gum , etc., from hanging on in the first place, which is what allows all the other stuff to hang onto, along the way. So he did recommend as maintenance, but not a lot, just after you have it cleaned the way you like, and you certainly need to do no more, than recommended maintenance that is described on the bottle. He said it really matter as to what you do, and how you are satisfied, some may find, that half or less the recommendation maintenance, works fine for them.
I am sure we talked about other stuff, and for longer, but this is as much as my scratchings have allowed me to remember right now.
As anectdotal evidence, besides doing my88 4runner, which it also got out the goo and water from the gas system/CAT/muffler/pipe( oh yeah, he did say it will also help clean out your CAT as well, he did 2 cleanings on one that smelt like Eggfarts, and after the second treatment, the stench was gone) I also did simultaneously a 92 chevy caprice, old school, with a 5 liter motor, with police interceptor package. i did two clean jobs with it, and if you saw my motor with the hood open, you cannot either hear, or see that it is running, it is that quiet now.
So today i actually drove it to work, and I also drive it for work, as I am a sevice tech, that has to drive to sites, to get certain work done.
One of the things that used to bother me a lot, was from a dead start, or red light, if i pressed on the gas a bit hard, i would for a second or two, get the 'clatter, rattle ' sound, as it first excelerated, like a diesel engine sound, and then it would go away. I would allways hear it, all the time, and every time. After the cleaning today, if I was not looking for it, I would not hear it, and when i was looking for the sound, i would just barely hear it, and that was only sometimes. i am looking for this sound to completely disappear soon.
Secondly , exceleration. This car is fast, and has allways been fast, but it was never what I considered quick, it was okay, but nothing special. Once it got up a little momentum, then it would giddyup.
Now, today, several times, I hit it up, at a stop light, or sign, or if i was allready on the highway, would hit the accelerator, as I was allready doing highway speeds. What throttle response!!!! WOW!!!! Not guessing, not thinking, but my A#$ss-ometer could easily tell, that as soon as my foot hit the pedal, my car would bow it's back up , like a wet cat, and take off, lickety
split, i mean the acceleration came quick , and easy folks, as soon as I hit
the pedal. And this car weighs a good 55oo lbs, not including all the weight of all the crap i carry around in it.

I have not driven the yota yet, but while sitting in the driveway, to start it up, i would just barely turn the key , for a split second, and it will start up, no prob, I think I will try a vulcan mind-meld for my next startup on the yota.

Anyway, I hope I have answered all question necessary about Seafoam, I know I have totally satisfied myself, with our conversation, and will have no
probs whatsoever, in using for serious cleaning first, and then as maintenance, without having to worry it is going to ruin some other part, gasket, ring, sensor, etc. on my vehicles. I say, use it to your hearts content. Thanks for the time, kids and homies.

p.s. , I know other dudes have other tricks of other stuff, that they add, spray, etc., but does it continue to lube parts, does it not add or subtract viscosity, does it not break down other stuff over time, does it continue to excorsize condensation, does it not erode injectors, sensors, or plugs over time?

Last edited by rangerruck; 12-02-2008 at 06:19 AM.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok wow i have to say it my eyes are dead now thank you but i do mean thank you this info is very good and very use full

just a few for you

are you the guy that works at seafoam with the big body? or just a cowinkadink?

my newerish 87 runner has about 230k on her im thinking about doing this aswell but i never have so on bottle down the vac port WITH IT RUNNING?

and reading the bottle part of one in the gas tank and then drive it aye?

thanks man what a write up good job!!!!
Old 12-01-2008, 05:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
obama's people are now doing PR work for Seafoam?

and some useful punctuation and paragraph forming would help the readablity. (not you allan. )

Last edited by abecedarian; 12-01-2008 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:26 PM

Never really noticed any difference in MPGs, or smoothness, but my older engine always idled smooth for a 22RE. Definitely improved throttle response.
Used on my friends 92 Jimmy with a 4.3 and it was quite the difference.
Guess it really depends on the condition of the engine...
Old 12-01-2008, 05:26 PM

nope, don't work at Seafoam, I am a tinkerer and like to selfteach, and after reading all the stuff here,and on other sites, on seafoam, and no one seemed to know what to do after use, or for maintenance, I had to call them.
As kramer would say, " It was eating me up inside!!!....".
yes, follow the directions as i have described above, for oil and gas usage and maintenance, and the correct amounts.
Your car must be running, and hot, when you do the direct intake treatment, as soon as it sucks up the remaining seafoam, IMMEDIATELY TURN OFF!!!! so some of the seafoam drains into the injectors/tops of pistons/ cylinders, without burning it up right away, if you left your vehicle running.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:28 PM

for the gas tank, just follow the amounts per gallons of gas tank. but do at least two direct cleanings first; that is what i did, to get all the junk out first, then the gas tank thing , becomes your maintenance routine, so you do not have to do a bunch more of direct cleaning procedures, in the future.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:31 PM

Nope, not an Obama , feel good, we need change, drone either.
As for sentence structure, I am a bit dyslexic from time to time, in too much of a hurry, end of day, kinda tired, etc., and if I don't concentrate, it can catch up with me.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:41 PM

I always stall the engine with the remaining seafoam and let it sit...
Old 12-01-2008, 05:49 PM

sweet, i knew it helped, but now with that information i'm not so skeptical of the long term effects

thanks
Old 12-01-2008, 05:54 PM

i know exactly what you mean, it was my primary reason for calling them;
if I did not stress enough in my above love letter.
I wanted to know the long term effects, and I wanted to know if a maintenance routine was not only good, but also had no bad effects, and to follow the amounts on the bottle for this.
That is the whole thing really, from reading all the previous stuff on this site, and others, I had no doubts about it working the cleaning end, and intake directly, I just worried about, " what do I do next, and does anything need to be changed out, or replaced after this?" this is the EXACT QUESTION , that I asked the dude, before breaking it down into what to do about gas, oil, filters, sensors, injectors, etc.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:00 PM

ever notice the Caprice looks like a block of Mozzarella cheese?
Old 12-01-2008, 06:02 PM

all I read was a positive PR letter espousing the benefits and sniping the detriments.

I'd believe something I hear from a 3rd party, non-interested individual long before I'd believe something from an employee of the company in question.

Sorry to sound the 'skeptic' but it did nothing for my 88, when used according to the directions on the bottle, and will likely not use it again.
So I guess the next thing will be someone telling me my engine was already clean and didn't need the Seafoam...?
Old 12-01-2008, 06:03 PM

I'm sorry... fuel and oil has 'sludge' added to it?
alot of the stuff we normally add, including gas, has a certain amount of sludge, varnish, lacquer, and gums added to it. This is the stuff, that sticks to walls, pistons, etc., especially when cooling. then all the other stuff we talk about, including carbon, gets stuck to this stuff, carbon, small micron stuff, other nox and vox particles.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:06 PM

Isn't "carbon" the basic, central atom so to speak, of petroleum?
so Seafoam adds 'carbon' to your system too since it is petroleum based.

Last edited by abecedarian; 12-01-2008 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:46 PM
Contributing Member

My personal experience wasn't as impressive as I wanted it to be. I used it on my Jeep I-6. It had a lot of carbon build up on the valves. Did two treatments, just before I pulled everything apart for the MPI conversion. The valves were still covered with chunks of carbon after the treatments....looked like a coal mine!

I removed as much of it as I could by hand and did the conversion. It runs really clean now, barely registers on the emissions tests! I would have hoped Seafoam would have removed more. Still seems like smoke and mirrors to me....and I mean SMOKE!!!

Of course, mine could have been so bad it was beyond help!

I have to say I too am skeptical of a guy who works for the company...would you expect American Airlines to tell you 90% of their flights were not on time. It doesn't sell many seats....

You have peaked my interest though, and you may find a bunch of little glass jars in my garage with lots of stuff soaking in seafoam next week!! Of course that tells of nothing about how effective it is.

Last edited by nieuwendyk-25; 12-01-2008 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:59 PM

Wow PR dude, you manged to spell acceleration both "exceleration" *and* "acceleration"

Look, you can download Firefox here. It won't fix your grammar, but it will highlight your spelling mistakes which you can happily ignore.

Last edited by Hypoid; 12-01-2008 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:12 PM

Seafoam is probably as good as expensive synthetic oil and both are on par with high priced dog food. Yeah, its expensive stuff with great ingredients, but you're still feeding it to a dog.

I've used seafoam on my old Nissan Hardbody and seen a noticeable difference, but nothing on my Trooper. I still run Royal Purple products in my Toyota, mainly because they make me feel good. I haven't had any negative experiences with Seafoam, Royal Purple, Rotella, or Castrol products. I've never had fuel line freeze up with BP gas either. I think I am doing a good thing using techron in my fuel system to.

I say try the products and use them, If you like them use them again. If it doesn't do anything for you don't waste your money.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:41 PM

My eyes hurt!!!!! To many white letters
I was starting to read other post about seafoam but after reading this i really want to do it now. I haven't heard one bad review
Old 12-01-2008, 07:45 PM

Just take it with a grain of salt, all.

Thank you for the interpretation of your conversation. I took away some good info. No reason to brow beat rangerruck...Abe.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:53 PM

At worse, it won't harm anything, and at best you will suddenly have gawdaful amounts of horsepower and torque.

it's your dime.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sea Foam... do you want the truth?