Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

SAS vs. Gears/Lockers when IFS needs a lot of help?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAS vs. Gears/Lockers when IFS needs a lot of help?

Hey guys,

Looking for some opinions on my current situation. Basically i'm about to have done one of two projects, SAS or regear f/r and lock the rear with an ARB.

I have read many times over, and fully agree with the idea, that gears and lockers will do more then open/open sas. And I really do want to regear and lock.

However, my IFS is not in very good shape.
1. Both CV boots are spewing grease.
2. Ball joints need to be replaced.
3. PO had installed a larger torsion bar for a lift and I really don't like it. Very bouncy and no flex.
4. It has auto hubs that are busted. I have manual hubs sitting around but I would still have to buy the 54mm socket.
5. Needs new shocks.
6. Rotors are towards the end of their life.
7. No skid plate.

The other factor is, I have very little free time these days so I would be paying some one to do the work either way. Everyone I talk to hates dealing with the IFS so that means higher labor costs.

I do eventually want SAS either way, but I'm not sure if I should spend the money on SAS now so I don't have to sink money into the IFS or if it will be cheap enough to remedy all the IFS issues to make it worthwhile so I can regear and lock it.

Thoughts?
Ben
Old 10-24-2007, 04:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Okay.

First, a kit costs 1100. New ball joints, tie rods, and all that other jazz will cost you about 300 bucks. Stock torsion bars can be had for next to nothing. I will donate mine to you. Free of charge, you can come pick them up.

New CVs are like 70 bucks, and are easy to install. a 54 mm socket is cheap.

So, 1100 just for the kit, no axle, no gears, or like 600 bucks. there is more to a swap then just bolting on. I would say, you are looking at 2k min just in parts, if you are savy, plus labor to do the swap. Find a garage, and i can help you install your ball joints, tie rods, torsion bars, hubs, and cv's. My suggestion is to replace the CV studs at the same time. (12 grade 8 bolts washers and nuts.

up to you.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AxleIke
Okay.

First, a kit costs 1100. New ball joints, tie rods, and all that other jazz will cost you about 300 bucks. Stock torsion bars can be had for next to nothing. I will donate mine to you. Free of charge, you can come pick them up.

New CVs are like 70 bucks, and are easy to install. a 54 mm socket is cheap.

So, 1100 just for the kit, no axle, no gears, or like 600 bucks. there is more to a swap then just bolting on. I would say, you are looking at 2k min just in parts, if you are savy, plus labor to do the swap. Find a garage, and i can help you install your ball joints, tie rods, torsion bars, hubs, and cv's. My suggestion is to replace the CV studs at the same time. (12 grade 8 bolts washers and nuts.

up to you.
Thats a stinkin' deal, take him up on it.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:05 PM

That is an excellent offer, thanks! I will definitely consider that.

How long do you think it would take in wrenching hours to do that?

At that point you might as well regear while your in there, right? Have a pre-built, re-geared 7.5" third ready to go in? Or would it be more time effective to just pay to get that done with the rear?

Time is hard to come by these days for me, that's why I'm looking to pay to have things done.

Thanks for the input!
Old 10-24-2007, 05:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BLKNBLU
Thats a stinkin' deal, take him up on it.
No kidding...

Ike, you're a gentleman and a scholar. But I promise I won't tell.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:17 PM

Ide rather have a solid axle with stock gears than a refreshed IFS and 4:88s...Than again 4:10s are PLENTY in my truck, i can run 38s with them. EVen if i had a 4 banger, ide take a solid axle and 33s on 4:10s over IFS locked with gears. Why do the IFS...you know sooner or later your gonna want to go SAS. I vote this..
Weld the rear and save for a SAS. thats what im doing.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo4Runner

At that point you might as well regear while your in there, right? Have a pre-built, re-geared 7.5" third ready to go in? Or would it be more time effective to just pay to get that done with the rear?

Time is hard to come by these days for me, that's why I'm looking to pay to have things done.

Thanks for the input!
YES!! If you have a 3rd ready to go, that would totally be the time to do it. When I did my front end it took me a looong time but I was scrubbing and sanding and painting everything. Skipping all the cleaning and having done it once now, I would bet I could do it alone in a w/e. I'm betting with someone experienced like Ike you could do alot better than that. My list was a little different than yours. Here is what i did.

BJ's, BJ spacers, removed control arms to clean paint and replace CA bushings, inner and outer TRE's, steering stabilizer, shocks. I think thats it.
Oh and rear IFS truss, rebuild idler, and place idler gusset.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:58 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Turbo4Runner

Thanks for the input!
It will take a weekend start about 9-10, finish about 5-7 each day. You buy food, and beer at the end of the day.

If you have a third ready to go, no problem. I have done my own, I will not set up others. There is too much possibility of an expensive screw up. The third will be easy, and can be done at the same time. It makes the front CV change even easier. I was planning on removing your front diff anyway, since it is easiest to swap out for bolts rather than studs.

Since you are considering, I am not available really, for a while. I have a number of things i need to do in the mean time, not the least of which is a move. If you decide to do it, PM me, and we can discuss dates. It won't be immediate.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Tacoma750
Ide rather have a solid axle with stock gears than a refreshed IFS and 4:88s...Than again 4:10s are PLENTY in my truck, i can run 38s with them. EVen if i had a 4 banger, ide take a solid axle and 33s on 4:10s over IFS locked with gears. Why do the IFS...you know sooner or later your gonna want to go SAS. I vote this..
Weld the rear and save for a SAS. thats what im doing.
This is very funny.

My truck is IFS. Dual ARB's, a butt load of gearing, and 33's. I am willing to bet there aren't more than 4-5 trails around the country you can get a full bodied truck up with out damage that my truck can't do.

Also, ever changed a birfield on the trail? I can do my CV's in 15 mins if I hurry. You can't even come close to that with a birf.

A solid axle with stock gears is NO STRONGER than IFS. Get longs and you are WAY ahead of the game. A SAS with stock axle shafts is spending 1500 or so to get more travel and stronger steering. Zero axle strength upgrade.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AxleIke
This is very funny.

My truck is IFS. Dual ARB's, a butt load of gearing, and 33's. I am willing to bet there aren't more than 4-5 trails around the country you can get a full bodied truck up with out damage that my truck can't do.

Also, ever changed a birfield on the trail? I can do my CV's in 15 mins if I hurry. You can't even come close to that with a birf.

A solid axle with stock gears is NO STRONGER than IFS. Get longs and you are WAY ahead of the game. A SAS with stock axle shafts is spending 1500 or so to get more travel and stronger steering. Zero axle strength upgrade.
Wait, Ike. Remember - you can't wheel IFS. Can't be done. Don't forget that.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:42 PM
Contributing Member

Awwwwwww, DANG IT... i always forget that! [chris farley voice] SON OF A...[/chris farley voice]

Thanks for reminding me TacoClimber...I can't believe I'm so forgetful...Must be my mad cow disease.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:46 PM

This is great advice, thanks.. The point about axle strength is a huge factor, as is the point about the ease of CV replacement vs. birf replacement.

I think I'm leaning towards dealing with the IFS for now. Plus any axle I swap on will basically be in unknown working condition unless its rebuilt which further adds to the cost. I should wait to sas until I have the money to build the axle right.

I know I can't wheel it being IFS and all, but it'll look cool at the mall..

BTW what size tires can I fit under a 2" lift? (j/k)

Ben
Old 10-24-2007, 08:57 PM

I replace my BJ's upper & lowers added BJ spacers, Downey truss ,Downey 26mm bars, removed the sway bar and it took me by myself 8hrs. And it was the first time doing this. I plan on re gearing, adding double case and at least a rear locker.Here is a link to my post https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-today-118082/
it has pics of the BJ's & BJ spacers, truss and torsion bars. Not in the post but I ended up replacing Idler arm, which took all 1/2 hour. If and when you SAS the locker in the rear end will still be there, so locking the rear is a no brainier.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:09 PM
Contributing Member

Post up on the House of Wrenching Thread on Cottora if you want to schedule a weekend to do it at the H.O.W.... But looks like weekends are filling up fast there... everyone has a project.

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80249

Isaac knows his dirt on this issue as does ~tc~ They both have extensive expereince with IFS and the costs involved.... And Troy and Isaac's IFS rigs can go anywhere my rig can go without incuring too much body damage...

Oh and we are getting together this weekend if you want to come over and meet the crew... and get some better ideas for your planning!

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83801 (Sorry I am not trying to drive you to ttora... that just happens to be where the H.O.W plans are put together, but the H.O.W is open for CoTTORA and Yotatechh members alike!!

Last edited by Lysmachia; 10-24-2007 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:32 PM

Wow! That's really cool you guys offer up your house and time like that!! Help like that and a chance to meet some cool people is pretty hard to pass up.

Who would you guys suggest for prebuild 7.5" thirds? Marlin doesn't have them on his website.. I wasn't sure if he dealt with those at all..

What about NorthWestOffRoad.com?

I think I might have to schedule some time at H.O.W. Gotta get my ducks in a row first though..

Thanks!
Old 10-24-2007, 09:36 PM
Contributing Member

No problem.... I'll tell Troy ~tc~ to have a look at this post for his input...
Old 10-25-2007, 04:34 AM
Contributing Member

turbo, getting the IFS third prebuilt is going to be tricky. You'd be better off getting a junk yard third, or buying one from someone who has recently swapped, and having the new gears put in. With the diff out of the truck, a gear install goes for around 200 bucks in the denver area. There are certified Toyota techs as well that will do it for cheaper, but I can't offer their services for them.

Molly and Troy's House of Wrenching would be IDEAL. Again, couldn't offer it for them. With their help, It would take one day. Not two.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:07 AM

Awesome.. Thanks.. Guess i'll start looking for an extra third..

Thanks guys!
Ben
Old 10-25-2007, 07:42 AM

Score!

I love craigslist..

I just found (and I'm going to check them out/buy them asap. Don't any of you try to snatch them up!) a front third already build with 4.88s and a TrueTrack and the rear third with 4.88's open. Listed @ $750 for both with only 5000 miles on them. He says "professionally setup". Both diffs have all new bearings, seals and bolts. Seems like a good deal, right? I can't afford two ARB's right now anyway, but I can swing this and TrueTrack's better then open...

Anything I should keep an eye out for when I go to check them out?

Then I'd just have to install the ARB in the rear and swap them. I found a great writeup on how to install an ARB in the rear. (Thanks Ike)

Old 10-25-2007, 08:04 AM
Contributing Member

I'd say that sounds like a good deal. Give it a shot!

Quick Reply: SAS vs. Gears/Lockers when IFS needs a lot of help?