Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Replacing the fuel filter on a 95 3vze yota?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 04:04 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtngoat9
This thread is timely. ...

are there any tricks? Are both nuts normal thread direction?
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ctures-218962/

Even "more" timely. (Both nuts are "normal" rt-hand direction. Be sure you are using a 14mm flare nut wrench.)
Old 08-27-2010, 08:20 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I really don't think it works like that, scope. There's a check valve in the fuel pump that prevents fuel from being able to run back into the tank thereby keeping maximum pressure in the fuel line and rail against the regulator for the next start up. Once the regulator has vacuum, fuel (and, any vapors) can return to the tank. That's why I suggested what I did. IOW's with a check valve, there's no way pressure in the tank can push fuel through the pump. The pump has to run for the valve to even open. If that were the case, there would not be enough pressure in the system for the vehicle to even run properly. Pressure is maintained between the pump and the regulator. The pump producing so much while the regulator, according to manifold pressure, is able to regulate it. You still need to relieve pressure in the tank, though.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scope103
It is easy to forget to remove the gas tank CAP before loosening the fuel line. The tank is designed to be pressurized with fuel vapors, and on a warm day there is enough pressure to push all of the fuel out of the tank.

Of course, if you did have the fuel cap off, then this does not explain what happened.
Oh yeah, that's the first thing I did. Couldn't locate a fuel pump fuse, however.

Originally Posted by thook
Wow, man. Now that's getting pissed....lol! I don't blame you one bit. Fortunately, the fuel filter doesn't need to be replaced often. If ever you felt frisky enough, there are ways to relocate the infernal thing.

BTW, I don't care if godzilla punched a hole in your fuel system. As hot as it is and after running the vehicle with a full tank of gas, you're going to have a lot of pressure in the system. Though I've never tried this, it seems to me if you applied vacuum (suck on it and clamp it with something.......whatever) to the fuel pressure regulator to cause it to open fully, it would allow the vapors, fuel, and pressure to relieve/return to the tank. As well, cock open the little circular flap in the filler opening.
I like this idea. I'll have to give it a shot next time.

Originally Posted by 95blackToy
riptide i know we have the same truck but its on the frame. i just didnt think about that cross member there that its right above. Man yalls are a PITA mine i just put it back on the lines and tightened it up good and tight the first time. Thankfully there was no problems at all.
Consider yourself lucky! I know next time around I'll just take off the crossmember. Not so much a big deal if you've got pneumatic tools.

Thanks for the input, guys.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:50 PM

Well, it is just an idea. I'm not 100% positive on how well it'll work.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:33 AM

very helpful thread i am going to do my filter this week, it does look easier to just pull the cross member
Old 08-30-2010, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mtngoat9
This thread is timely. I picked up a filter yesterday, crawled under there...that is the stupidest placement I have ever seen for a filter. I have no idea how to hit the output nut, none of my wrenches will hit the flats and leave room to turn it simultaneously. The input one is almost as bad, and unfortunately ridiculously tight. I cannot get it to turn and I already started rounding the corners on it by accident. I hit it with some penetrating oil and will go back and try again...

are there any tricks? Are both nuts normal thread direction? Going to read the writeup mentioned above now.
I used a pair of vice grips. My input and output nuts are also torn to hell. I just did a combination of clamping them on and off. If you hold one input / output end, you can torque the other. Once the nut broke free, it spun off pretty easily. Not TOO rusty, but could use some wd-40 or pb blaster before getting in there. But yes, both nuts are normal thread direction...

I would highly suggest taking off the cross mount to make your life a world easier... even if you don't have air tools. You would, however, need a breaker bar to take off the 4 bolts on each side mounted to the frame... then the 4 securing the center to the transmission are super loose and can do that by hand easily. The transmission will drop a few inches, but don't be alarmed, it won't actually fall off! Just when you put it back on, you should have a rubber block bolted to the bottom of the tranny you can put a jack under, jack it back up (Unless you can bench 300+ pounds), then secure the 4 bolts on either side of the frame.

I tried going the other route without taking it off, ended up bending the output side of the filter very badly because I was trying to fit wrenches and vice grips in there to tighten it. So when it was all said and done it leaked gas everywhere. Actually, I'm not sure if I bent it when I put it on, or when I was trying to take it off. Either way... those fuel filters are pretty fragile so even if you try muscling yourself around in there you could potentially dent / bend the thing. Trust me, much easier with the cross mount off. And try to have very little gas in the tank... atleast less than half so the pressure is much less, and don't forget to take off the fuel cap.

EDIT: Another thing, the bracket that secures the fuel filter to the truck, just loosen that from the fuel filter and push it way forward as far as it will go while still on the line. It gives you more room to work with. So when you have the new one on, you can just slide it back over the fuel filter.

Last edited by riptide; 08-30-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:27 PM

Really?

Originally Posted by clydehatchet
ROFL. Dumbest post ever. I became a member just to say that.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by cale
ROFL. Dumbest post ever. I became a member just to say that I can make dumb posts, too..
Fixed it for ya!