Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Repairing corrosion in engine block coolant passages?

Old 06-25-2018, 03:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Repairing corrosion in engine block coolant passages?

hi guys,
What do you think about those coolant holes corroded? To me, it will not last long after the rebuild. I can imagine the coolant leaking out of the side already.

I wonder if I could patch the wear with cold weld or epoxy (or with something else, I need your help) and sand it back to the right shape.

How would you fix it up? (I mean old school way, I don’t want to hear put it in the bin or give it to a machine shop).

Shipped coolant holes from coolant corrosion

Last edited by Aure; 06-25-2018 at 03:41 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:01 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm not saying take it to a machine shop but it certainly is a question for a machine shop don't you think?
Old 06-25-2018, 07:47 AM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
I am an experimented mechanic, it was very traumatic. It turned me into a Manic Mechanic.
My opinion on this is that any attempt to repair this would be a waste of your time, Gookumpucky like JB weld would not last, welding cast iron is not recommended and tricky at best, this would also require a machine shop to resurface after adding metal back to that spot with a welder and it would likely crack the block anyway.
I know you don't want to hear it, but I would turn this into an anchor or a flower pot
Old 06-25-2018, 01:53 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Those Blocks make real nice planters .

Paint them Pretty plant some nice flowers .

I doubt you could deck the block enough to clean it up

To weld that and then machine it much cheaper to get a used block

The blocks I welded over the years from lack of antifreeze and unexpected cold snaps
Old 06-25-2018, 02:58 PM

Oh dear, any different head gasket (mls or other) could cover the surface?
Old 06-25-2018, 05:44 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
How many miles on this engine and truck? Help us help you. Put your vehicle info in your signature lines so we don't have to guess and ask about that stuff.

We also don't know your location so we can't tell if you live where Toyota engines/parts are plentiful.

There are block welders who can fix that but it probably won't be cheap.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by akwheeler
I am an experimented mechanic, it was very traumatic. It turned me into a Manic Mechanic.
We are terribly sorry you were experimented on . . . does it hurt when I laugh?
Old 06-26-2018, 12:45 AM

It is a 91 3vze auto. 300k on it.
Im leaving in Australia and it is pretty hard to get parts. I already spent a bit of money in it such as new suspension, front auto locker, new tyres, snorkel, roof rack, awning...
I would keep it as a Toy to play around but I wouldn’t invest to much money in it. Parts are super expensive in Australia too.

I thought maybe making some sleeves and filling gaps around with jb weld. I’m sure there is a solution for it!

Last edited by Aure; 06-26-2018 at 12:47 AM.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:46 AM

So this is just an out there idea based on something we had to do for a particular race motor. O-ring - but in your case oval ring.
O rings are used to seal compression in the combustion chamber. But IF a grove could be cut around those water passages maybe it could save that block.
Probably not cheap either, if you're sure it's going to leak another block is needed.

Also, how deep is the chip? Can the block be shaved and remain within tolerances?

I thought Toyota parts would be plentiful in OZ. Are you not near any big city?
Old 06-26-2018, 09:59 AM

keep in mind if you try JB weld that it doesn't expand and contract the same as cast iron, so after a heat cycle or two it will pop off of the surface.
you mentioned a sleeve, I have only heard of sleeving cylinders, which requires a machine shop and would not fix this issue.
Your cheapest alternative is to find another rebuildable block to use. if you have already spent money on machine work for this block I would say it was wasted, sorry.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by L5wolvesf
We are terribly sorry you were experimented on . . . does it hurt when I laugh?
How could you laugh about my block hole being experimented on? Now I need a Hurt Feelings Report to fill out.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:35 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Sorry about the bad news, O.P.
Originally Posted by akwheeler
I am an experimented mechanic, it was very traumatic...
Did they stick needles, stuck electrodes on you and put you on a treadmill... or a hamster wheel?
Old 06-26-2018, 07:14 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
you have a boat anchor, just tossing that out there because most spouses aren't gonna want that as a planter
Old 06-27-2018, 12:16 AM

Ha! Never, I will fix it up! Here in Australia block are expensive. I found that mig or tig combined to a cold welding technique would be the best bet. It would be similar that on the photos but on the block.

The prep
Welded
Finished
Come on guys! We are on yotatech forum, the best of the best. Here people do SAS, turbocharging, welding blocks splited in half, changing wagons into pickup etc... don’t tell me you are afraid of a little scratch on the top please!
Old 06-27-2018, 06:05 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Would be easier to source a diesel in Australia, that would be the route I would take. 3.0's suck.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:05 AM

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
You went from talking about the block, to showing pictures of the head welded, which one are you really asking about? Two different materials = two different welding techniques.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Aure
Ha! Never, I will fix it up! Here in Australia block are expensive. I found that mig or tig combined to a cold welding technique would be the best bet. It would be similar that on the photos but on the block.

The prep
Welded
Finished
Come on guys! We are on yotatech forum, the best of the best. Here people do SAS, turbocharging, welding blocks splited in half, changing wagons into pickup etc... don’t tell me you are afraid of a little scratch on the top please!
Originally Posted by jakey poo
You went from talking about the block, to showing pictures of the head welded, which one are you really asking about? Two different materials = two different welding techniques.
^^^ When you first started this (and the other identical thread) you mentioned not wanting to take it to a machine shop or dump a lot of money on it, guess what, if you weld it you will need a machine shop. and what Jakey said, your pictures are of aluminum heads, they don't crack like cast iron when you weld them. All we can do is try to be the voice of reason and tell you what our opinion is from what information you give us, and it seems the general consensus is that you need to throw a bag of money at it no matter which way you go. Good luck.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:51 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Epoxy on a block side cylinder head mating surface. That's a whole new level of dumb.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:56 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Also, I merged the threads into the relevant section and changed the title. Lets keep things pertinent here.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:40 PM

Thanks for rename the topic more pertinent👍
Also, Sorry for the confusion with the heads photos. It is screenshots from internet to show the welding process to fix coolant passage corroded. Did you ever heard about cold welding with a mig on cast iron? A mate could borrow me the machine, I thought I could do it myself after learning properly how to do.

Last edited by Aure; 06-27-2018 at 12:43 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Repairing corrosion in engine block coolant passages?