86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

removing rear abs

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 10:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
removing rear abs

I see some people removing the rear ABS system from their trucks and wondering why. I can see the room saving on the frame rail and that is my primary purpose of even considering it as I prepare to think everything out for my 3.4 swap coming as soon as I find a donor.

Anyone comment on this and point me to a guide that someone has done. Been searching all morning but nothing really good. Maybe I seaching wrong keywords. Saw Neoworms guide over at 4x4wire but all the pics were missing.....at least for me and I am a visual guy!!!!!

Any thought would be great. Pro's and Cons especially.

thanks
Old 07-12-2009, 01:24 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
There really isn't any point in removing it. Its not necessary for the 3.4L swap. Vital22RE has rear ABS in his 3.4L swapped truck, and its still there.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I didn't remove mine, either, and it works just peachy.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:34 PM

Hi guys. thanks for the reply.

Ya i know that it isnt a requirement but just wondering why some have done it.

Hmmmm, Rob......i could have sworn i read a thread in which you did remove. I have read so much 3.4 swap stuff over the past few days I think My brain is fried. Must have been someone else. No human should read that much in such a short period.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:47 PM

Ok i see now that it was MT Goat that removed his, as did neoworm. I see whyMT Goat did remove his after rereading his thread. To place the water pump there for the SC.

My thinking was that if the abs is something that can go, i'll dump it and make things cleaner and less crap everywhere is better to me.

have to investigate more.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by dntsdad
Hi guys. thanks for the reply.

Ya i know that it isnt a requirement but just wondering why some have done it.

Hmmmm, Rob......i could have sworn i read a thread in which you did remove. I have read so much 3.4 swap stuff over the past few days I think My brain is fried. Must have been someone else. No human should read that much in such a short period.
No, I removed my LSBPV (Load Sensing Brake Proportioning Valve) on mine, but left the ABS alone. Removing the proportioning valve makes it easier to lock the rear wheels, so I left the ABS on there.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:49 PM

Ok just so i can learn something, why would you remove this? What is the upside?

thanks in advance
Old 07-12-2009, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The LSPV can be finicky, especially when you've lifted the truck. Some people remove it so it simplifies the rear brakes. I personally wouldn't recommend removing the LSPV and the ABS, I'd do one or the other.

If you remove the ABS, the LSPV helps keep the wheels from locking up as easy.

If you remove the LSPV, the ABS will compensate for the wheels wanting to lock up more often.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:48 PM

Couple months ago, I blew one of the rear brake lines. There are two that run from just behind your passenger side front tire (take a look and you'll see an L and a T junction).

These two lines carry brake fluid to the proportioning valve. The one for my rears rusted just above the fuel tank. For simplification purposes, I pulled both lines out, capped one of the outlets at the T junction, ripped the LSBPV out and just ran one new line. I get more pressure to the rears, sure, but they actually do something now. I rarely, if ever, felt the ABS engage on the back tires. Now, in a hard stop, I can actually slow the 4Runner down quicker than before. Time will tell in the snow, though.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:09 PM

I pull mine out for many reasons. LSPV bleeding sucks, too many rusted lines to worry about, the lines and actuator from the power steering pump are a pain in the #ss. Also if you need a rad you have to get one for a truck with ABS. Without it you can run any rad you can get cheap (rad mounts higher because of the ps lines). I line to have a simple truck with less stuff to brake. Also not a firm believer in drum ABS anyway. I never noticed a difference with or without.

To pull the ABS completely you need a power steering pressure line from a truck without or get one made at a hydraulic place.

Rip out the actuator and all lines and LSPV.

Run a single line to the back. ( use an inline regulator or don't, I dont and like it)

To get rid of the light.......

Disconnect the ABS relay

Pull out the ABS computer (behind the glovebox)

You might be able to leave the computer if you just disconnect the relay but I pull everything so it is gone.

Last edited by Flash319; 07-13-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:17 AM

abs computer can also b found in the lower section of the center dash, under the ash tray. 2 phillips screws hold the plastic cubby, right behind that is the computer
Old 04-09-2022, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Flash319
I pull mine out for many reasons. LSPV bleeding sucks, too many rusted lines to worry about, the lines and actuator from the power steering pump are a pain in the #ss. Also if you need a rad you have to get one for a truck with ABS. Without it you can run any rad you can get cheap (rad mounts higher because of the ps lines). I line to have a simple truck with less stuff to brake. Also not a firm believer in drum ABS anyway. I never noticed a difference with or without.

To pull the ABS completely you need a power steering pressure line from a truck without or get one made at a hydraulic place.

Rip out the actuator and all lines and LSPV.

Run a single line to the back. ( use an inline regulator or don't, I dont and like it)

To get rid of the light.......

Disconnect the ABS relay

Pull out the ABS computer (behind the glovebox)

You might be able to leave the computer if you just disconnect the relay but I pull everything so it is gone.
Soon installing new rear 4.88 3rd w/o ABS sensor into 90 4R with rear ABS.
Can I disconnect the ABS relay referenced above to defeat the ABS, and just not connect the sensor?
Or do I need to remove the whole actuator, PS lines, computer, etc?
I prefer to retain LSPV if possible
Thanks
Old 05-26-2022, 04:52 PM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Dumpolina
Soon installing new rear 4.88 3rd w/o ABS sensor into 90 4R with rear ABS.
Can I disconnect the ABS relay referenced above to defeat the ABS, and just not connect the sensor?
Or do I need to remove the whole actuator, PS lines, computer, etc?
I prefer to retain LSPV if possible
Thanks
did you ever get an answer? I have the same question for the same reason.

Some good info here as well:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ear-abs-78077/

Last edited by COMTB; 05-26-2022 at 04:54 PM.