Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Reincarnation of 22re w/ Total chaos pars?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Reincarnation of 22re w/ Total chaos pars?

The story of my 88 toyota pickup 4x4 5speed, began when I bought the truck for $1200. I didnt know much about wheeling or anything about the truck, but I figured it would be nice to have a truck as I am always moving and a place to put bodybords and surfboards during the summer. I started with a tuneup sparkplugs, airfilter, fluids, and the little thing came to life!!! The 22re seemed better on gas than my 08 Mustang Gt, so the truck became my daily driver. Then I found Yota tech!!! As I found out more about the truck, I found out what a jewel I had!! I started out saving money for smaller tires as I didnt want to run the 33 on the stock gears. so now it had 31tires. I began posting about my bodylift, and decided that a long travel IFS is what I wanted. I finally saved enough money to get it done and started gathering parts. First thing I get is the ivan stewart kit from glassworks unlimited.....Thats when the nightmare begins. Living in Los Angeles as I was leaving Roscoes Chicken and Waffles, A lady runs a stop sign and hits my truck the damage was minor, LCA is damaged bent tie bar, bent bumper dented fender. Im keeping the truck with a salvage title and a $3300 check. I took my money and ordered a total chaos gen 2 caddy kit , and my friends collision repair shop in the valley is putting together the fiberglass. Anybody know a shop in LA that can install my TC kit and throw in some 4.88 gears? I live in Koreatown in LA I cant seem to find any shops in the area. All race shops. My friends body shop doesnt want to install the kit because they dont want to mess it up. (they dont really do custom work) Please help, I miss my truck
Old 05-24-2008, 01:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice post some pics of your project
Old 05-24-2008, 01:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
looked the kit over and it looks like +95% bolt on except for the upper uniball requires drilling out the spindles' ball joint stud hole and if you get the shock hoops they weld on the frame.

did you get the t-100 axle shafts so you can keep 4wd?
Old 05-24-2008, 06:20 PM

I will definitely post pics next time I get to the body shop. I dont have any photos of my truck unfortunately. I got the T100 axles already. The kit also requires some new shock hoops to be welded on. I am getting some fox coilover shocks, and may have to grind away the existing shock hoops to get it to fit. I also live in a little apartment, So I cant really do anything but bolt things on and off thats why im having a shop do the install.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow i was just in cali theres a car shop in san deago i think he might do it there if not theres a lot of places there that will do the work
Old 05-24-2008, 06:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
p.s. welcome to yota tech man!!!
Old 05-24-2008, 07:14 PM

Thanks for your responses, I founda alot of helpful stuff on here regarding my truck. When i first got it, I did the full tuneup based on info I found from looking through the site. Never had a car with drum brakes before, so I learned from this site. also found out how to use the 4 wheel drive!! hahaha I havent really off roaded, but as a structural engineer, I got to drive it around some fun construction sites!! San diego is prety far from where im at, and right now the truck isnt driveable. the stock control arms are all bent on the passenger side. So I was planning on towing it somewhere local. There seems to be alot of places in San diego and Orange county to go and get stuff done, but there doesnt seem to be much in LA. In fact, I dont even see to many non disco lift trucks out here at all. Here in LA, youll see the lifted full size trucks with chrome wheels, but no one seems to have anything functional. There is a 4wheel parts by the airport, but they dont seem to know how to install these long travel kits. Its funny they had no idea who total chaos was!! They also told me when I told them to look it up, that it was all bolt on and there was no welding required! I dont think they had ever installed one...so im kinda hesitant on letting them install the kit.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:16 PM

Hey Abecedarian, which long travel are you look at I noticed you were in So cal also. Where about and any shops you recomend?
Old 05-24-2008, 07:33 PM

the one I'm looking at for the 91 is probably http://www.chaosfab.com/92100.html just the basic balljoint kit- it's my wife's truck and she just wants the height.

as for shops, total chaos/kartek in corona can install it I believe. also maybe 4wheel parts would do it but I'm not sure since they don't sell tc kits.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:08 PM

the saga continues.....

So I have continued on my search for parts, and as it seems,the person I was suppose to get all my total chaos parts from is no longer in buisness. I was supposed to get coilovers, gen2 kit, shock hoops and springs for 2750. add a 600 dollar install at Socal supertrucks and be out the door at about 3400. Unfortunately, i am now looking at a 4200 kit and install . So Im no longer certain about my truck. I was hoping to get everything then do the gears and some 33's. I guess it will have to wait. So im looking at geting bilsteins all around, I have some downey torsion bars, and putting an add a leaf for the rear. anybody have any ideas on how well this will work? anybody ever run the downey pro desert kit? What do you guys think? Advice needed.....any thoughts are well appreciated!!
Old 05-29-2008, 08:20 PM

How'd you end up at 4200 for the kit? sounds really high.
Did you give http://www.kartek.com a call?
Old 05-29-2008, 08:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
call total chaos and have them recc. a installer nearby or take it to them (if you have the $$)
Old 05-29-2008, 08:57 PM

@norcalsvx: just an fyi
kartek.com is the total chaos rep in the Los Angeles area.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:38 PM

well, I got the 4200 from Socal supertrucks includes all parts and install and tax. Kartek sells the parts, but no installation. I called yotamasters and they want 1100 to install. socal will do $600 install plus 100 for alignment that gives me about 700 for total install with them. I was thinking I could get the parts from kartek and have the install done at socal supertrucks. The killer is on the shocks and coil springs.

From Socal:
The price of the Gen II suspension by itself is $1768.90 (the same as the internet price). The shock hoop kit runs $237.50 (also at the internet discount). The Fox 2.5 coil-overs are $495.00 each and the king 18" 2.5" 600lb coil springs are $138.46 each. With labor at $600.00 and the alignment at $100.00 the total with tax comes to $4235.19 out the door, assuming all of your steering components are in good shape.

From kartek no install no tax:
Gen 2 Kit: $1656.00
Shock Hoops: $219.00
Eibach Springs: $84.99 (x2)
Fox Coilovers: $434.99 (x2)

TOTAL: $2915.00
add tax and install: 3833 (just got this info from a friend about 2 seconds ago!)

I guess im still at 3833, Still a big price jump from my original estimate of 2700 all parts with tax no install. This was pretty much my budget for the insurance stuff.

So im thinking: go with the downey pro desert lift t-bars shocks and 3" leaf springs 528.96 (it should be only about 400 since I already have the downey torsion bars.)
4.88 gears $1500 (4wheel parts, yota masters, socal mini trucks)
junk yard parts for anything damaged $300? (replace passenger side lower control arm )

and since these will all be truly bolt on, No installation fees! Then I still have some money left over for other things like LC header, exhaust, 33's

I really really want that long travel, but it seems like without the welding capability, im automatically out 700 bucks. After reading alot of threads, im thinking now alot about the gearing on my truck. maybe throw in a locker? So basically, im stuck with a choice between a hi performance suspension, with a crappy drive train, or I can go with a mediocre suspension, good drivetrain.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:48 PM

48686-SPD Torsion Bars 48186
86-88 Pro-Desert 2" Rear Springs 48279-2
Front Shocks (two) 8434D
Rear Shocks (one each) 8166D & 8231D
$528.96

This is the downey pro desert kit. I dont really like the shocks it comes with id rather go with bilstein. I went to downey about a month prior because it was recomended to me by a toyota guy in the parts department. he said they got alot of cool stuff in there. The employees were really helpful, and they had a couple of their own trucks parked outside. Looks pretty good, but looks like total chaos is a little more ahead as far as long travel kits. theres kinda looks like the TC caddy kit. From what ive heard the weakness is in the torsion bar mounting with a long travel. I was thinking about there LT kit, because its 3110 front and rear! and then someone on the boards brought up the cost of the axles and if one breaks, thats 800$ axles!! So I was thinking maybe it wouldnt be the best choice...then again, I would think youd have to be doing something pretty intense to bust up those axles.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:45 AM

FWIW, I ended up paying about $4,000 total to install the gen 2 kit on my '94 4x4 yota. That is with axles and custom shock hoops/engine cage. It all adds up man.

Don't even have upgraded steering parts, bypass shocks, or lower uniball conversion yet. Can anyone say cha-ching?? lol
Old 05-30-2008, 07:50 AM

Phorensic, who did your install? I think im getting ripped because you got your full suspension and cage. I just have a suspension and im already over your price. Where did you get your parts from?
Old 06-01-2008, 11:36 AM

Downey LT test drive

This past Friday was real interesting regarding my truck suspension....so I have been considering the Downey LT kit. I know most peole on here bash the kit due to the lack of a coil over and the porsche axles. So I was thinking about picking up their rear leaf springs, and calling it a day. So I go to Downey, and they had a great lookng truck out there which is the company truck. Its a 91 4x4 with their LT kit, exhaust, and fiberglass. I look at the truck, and im pretty intrigued. I take a shot in the dark and I tell the salesman that im seriously considering getting the gen 2 caddy kit. Basically the salesman says that the gen2 kit is the heavier duty kit for more serious offroading. But their LT kit is pretty capable in its own right. So I ask them if I could take a ride ride around the block. They agree!!! The following is my review of the Downey LT kit.

So I go for a ride around the block, and granted we did not do any off roading, but we did go through a couple speed bumps. The ride was great! definitely a big difference over stock! Ride had great on road manners, and the speed bumps seemed to get sucked up pretty well by the suspension. I was definitely impressed. Now I have never ridden in a truck with any other type of long travel kit, so I dont have much to compare it too. But looking t a completeprice tag for a front and rear suspension at $3110 in parts is definitely a plus in my book, especially with the way it had performed. I would assume that a similr truck wth a total chaos front and rear would most definitely be a better riding and handling truck, but the cost is just killing me!

The truck also had some motor upgrades, and 4.88 gears. I really enjoyed the way the truck rode, and the way it felt more powerful than mine. Granted I was in the passenger seat, and not the driver, so I dont really feel the skinny pedal. The exhaust sounded great in the low RPMs , but at the higher RPM It sounded pretty high pitched. This is true with all 4bangers out there so the exhaust is more of a reference thing. It would be nice to see some dyno charts to see the hp and torque increases. The truck also had some low back racing seats, I didnt as what brand it was, but they were really comfortable!! Looked like a beard sportster loback.

As far as part quality and bling....well nothing looks better than some mean looking king coilovers, and a wide stance. As you all know, the downey kit has no coilvers, so I looked at the welding quality of the arms. the welds were pretty good, being that I am a structural engineer, I have seen my fair share of strctural steel welding. The welds had a very even distribution, and the connectins looked strong, granted I did not do a full penetration test, but the welds did look good. The arms themselves looked like an upgrade overstock, but they dont look as strong as the total chaos arms. (I think the total chaos arms are a larger cross section tube, I didint measure the diameter, but maybe someone can chime in on this) The shocks utilized in the kit is a 10" 5100 bilstein. I believe the bilsteins used are adequate for light trails and light prerunning applications, but anything really extreme, I would assume should have a remote reservoir for longevity. Overall the kit looked strong and durable.

Downey off-road seems like a great manufacturing company. Its been around since the seventies, and seems to make a wide variety of parts from motor upgrades to suspension upgrades, to chasis components. The salesman were very helpful in giving me the test ride, and answered all my questions.

All in all, the truck felt pretty good. It felt strong, and the suspension was very comfortable on a flat street, as well as driving on the speed bumps. I Have come to the conclusion that the downey kit is great for anyone that is wanting a good upgrade for lighter preruning and trail capable and a great daily driver, then this kit is definitely worth looking at. If you would like to go for more extreme prerunning then the total chaos with coilovers is definitely the way to go.

Im stll kinda torn, I still really like the TC gen 2 kit, but im starting to think that it might be overkill for my usage. but as a guy dont we always like to overkill??? (V8 mustang GT F&*K gas prices!!) But then again, in my case money is an issue, and I dont think I will be 20 feet in the air with my truck anytime soon, (or will I???)

Last edited by jped1981; 06-01-2008 at 12:48 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:52 PM

The plot thickens!!!

So ive decided on the Downey LT kit, so I call to place an order this morning, guess what!! They are out of stock for the next 3-4 months!!! WTF!!! I really like there kit because of the way it rode and felt, I should have ordered on Friday!