86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rebuilt 5vz-fe Break-in

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 12:15 PM

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Rebuilt 5vz-fe Break-in

I just finished rebuilding a 5vz for my 3.4 swap and I thought it would be a good idea to ask the local Toyota experts if there are any special break in oil and procedure recommendations for this motor that you would be interested in sharing. I know this might get very opinion based but I am not an engine rebuilding expert and am curious what you guys have to say.

Best way to prime the oil pump?
Best break-in oil? or use break-in additives?
Best break-in procedure?

I followed the Toyota FSM during the entire rebuild, and also opened up the new oil pump and lubricated the gears with a film of assembly lube to give it some suction. Curious what else I can do to get oil pressure as soon as possible. I am planing on filling the oil filter before the first startup as well.

Thanks for your advice, its going to be quite an exciting first startup between the swap and rebuild all happening at the same time.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:45 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

New Cams ?? New Cams need to be run in or they did in my youth

Back in the Day STP was great for priming oil pumps Last oil pump I think I used Lucas oil additive

I remember using a Moly grease on one as well.

Now since I never use Synthetic Oil that is not a issue I have heard that rings don`t seat correct with Synthetic oil Wives tale or not I don`t know
Old 12-02-2016, 03:55 PM

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by wyoming9
New Cams ?? New Cams need to be run in or they did in my youth

Back in the Day STP was great for priming oil pumps Last oil pump I think I used Lucas oil additive

I remember using a Moly grease on one as well.

Now since I never use Synthetic Oil that is not a issue I have heard that rings don`t seat correct with Synthetic oil Wives tale or not I don`t know
Fortunately, the original cams were fine and I did not have to get new ones. Thanks for the input wyoming!