Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

rebuilt 3vze Soooo Close to starting but won't

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question rebuilt 3vze Soooo Close to starting but won't

I have an 89 pickup that I rebuilt the v6 in iv'e been trying to start it for a little while now and i'm all out of ideas.

sometimes some gas comes out the intake chamber.

when I try to start it it almost sounds and feels like it's running for a couple of seconds at a low rpm with the cranking sound of the starter in the backround then after a little while of cranking it stops trying so hard and just cranks

as it's rumbling the rpm guage jumps up a little, sometimes it holds because it is sooo close

i'm pretty sure it's timed right. I tried spinning the dizzy 180 and it does less than what it is doing now.

One day I thought an intake valve might be stuck open due to the gas coming out the intake but they all seem just fine.

the only thing I can think of that I can't check without pics is that there a couple of hoses right under the front right(if sitting in the drivers seat) of the upper intake chamber. they run under the intake chamber (next to those other metal hoses that go to the coolant and the air cleaner and resonators) backwards to make up 2 of the 3 hoses that goto the vsv and whatnot (not sure what they are called) on the right side of the engine bay the third hose goes to the egr deal on the front right of the intake chamber. but I don't know what the two hoses right under that go to.

also on the side of the egr deal that goes to the right side exhaust manifold and intake chamber has two wires coming out of it that are both black and have been cut by p.o. but there is a connector coming from the wiring harness that they go to.

is it important to have that connected because i havn't seen any pics with those wires even there?

All help is much appreciated thank you very much, Drew
Old 11-30-2008, 04:57 PM

bump.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
don't know much about what you're dealing with (both my trucks are 22re's) but it sounds like the ignition timing is off....
maybe pull the distributor and re-install it, and rotate the shaft another tooth clockwise.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:22 PM

How much gas are you getting in the intake? When I did my rebuild I mixed up 2 lines and had a vacuum line sucking gas into the intake. It sounded just like you are describing. Do you have a vacuum diagram under the hood? Check everything again.

Also, if you have an intake full of fuel like I did...I suggest changing the oil as well. It will leak past the rings and into the crank case. Not sure how big of a problem that is, but I wasn't taking a chance on a new rebuild.

JAson
Old 12-01-2008, 12:39 AM

I would imagine you already checked it, but when I put my 3vze back together after replacing the head gasket, it wouldn't stay running, it kept fumbling and then die. I found that when I put the rod of the rotor, or whatever you call it, back into the valve area it had turned like one tooth extra and threw off the timing, I just had to pull it back out and put it in until it lined up again, then it started no problem.