Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Rebuilding 3VZE -- Thrown Rod causes & reusing rusted crankshaft?

Old 03-24-2011, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rebuilding 3VZE -- Thrown Rod causes & reusing rusted crankshaft?

The oil pressure was really low and the truck started to make a knocking noise. I removed the engine after seeing a hole next to the oil filter about 2-3 inches in diameter. I found only one rod snapped . What would causes this to happen, the low oil, i'm guessing would be do to oil pump failure?

While the whole engine is removed i am planning to do a full rebuild. I am planning to get the master engine kit from engbldr I am just wondering what else would be necessary to purchase. Also, the crankshaft had rusted do to stored outside in the rain. Will I be able to reuse it or can i just buy a new crankshaft?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-T...item27ac749522

please let me know if you need more information. I can't think of anything else right now.

Also if anyone knows a reputable machine shop in the Bay Area, preferably San Jose, CA please let me know. And what is the average cost of machining; bored/hone,straightening, etc...

Last edited by rufiox426; 03-25-2011 at 12:02 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
You mean there's a hole in the side of the engine block??

If so, that block is trashed. As far as the rest of the engine, don't see much point if the block has a 2-3 inch hole in it~

Rusted crank; depends on the level of rust. You need to have everything checked because if it was low enough on oil to break a rod connection, you probably have other issues as well.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ agreed ^^

Think its time to find a used engine and rebuild that... the current engine is a nice paper weight
Old 03-25-2011, 02:20 AM

oh yeah forgot to mention that i got a short block from pick n pull to replace that engine.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:49 AM

Get your short block checked out before you get the master kit. You might need machine work, and that means different from standard size bearings.
Get a water pump while you're at it.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:29 AM

the block had surface rust on it, just cleaned it with hot soap and a kitchen sponge scrub, so im guessing that would affect the the cylinder bores and main bearings or whatever that thing is called that the crankshaft rests on. whats the average price range for machine work? like everything on the bottom end...
Old 03-25-2011, 03:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Get the heads & block resurfaced at a minimum. Even if they don't take any appreciable amount off, it needs to be resurfaced to get a good mating surface. You'll want valves redone (new stem seals, seats resurfaced) and check the valve springs, too.

You also need to have the crank & camshaft mic'd to verify if you can use standard bearings or have to go with oversized. If you have a micrometer, you can do this yourself.

Be sure you size your piston rings (install & check for minimum gap)! Many folks don't or don't know how & it can cause problems later.

Price depends largely on location, but you should be able to get all that done for around $500-$600 I'd think.

It might behoove you to print the applicable FSM sections for yourself AND the machine shop~

Last edited by TNRabbit; 03-25-2011 at 04:03 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:15 AM

also keep in mind if you have the block and heads milled it will change how the intake will rest on top of the engine and possiblly cause intake issues later
Old 04-03-2011, 05:11 AM

I had a similar problem with my 3vze. My front seal blew out on a long trip to my house, Pulled in the driveway and the truck immediately stop. I had no idea, but found out thanks to the trail of oil. Anyway, I pulled my motor and decided if I were to rebuild it, I was going to do it right, I spent like $325 for the Master Engine Kit from engbldr and it is beautiful. I just got the block home today it cost me $490. I got the block hot tanked, bored, honed, engbldr freeze plugs installed and I got it decked. They also did my heads because they were really warped, they tanked the heads and resurfaced them and then the degreased my plenum, all for $490. I'm working on popping the wrist pins out now and I may install the new ones myself or drop them off at a buddy's shop. I bought some all purpose use grease and coated the crank and cams HEAVILY before storage, just advice for future or anyone else wanting to do this. But the engbldr came with everything I could possibly need and you can't beat the price. Everything is labeled aswell