YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   to rebuild or not to rebuild? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/rebuild-not-rebuild-154792/)

ozziesironmanoffroad 09-17-2008 09:38 AM

to rebuild or not to rebuild?

im trying to decide whether i should rebuild my engine once i get the money just so i wont have to worry about it in the future when i have my own place. it runs totally fine, still will do 85mph a couple times and still get 19mpg. compression is good, it doesnt burn much oil, and it still runs the same as the day i got it. so my question is, should i rebuild it once i get a few paychecks, or should i just replace the clutch and throwout bearing/input shaft bearing/pilot bearing/rear main seal/front tranny seal and call it good? i mean i know 'if its not broke dont fix it' but it does have around 300,000 miles on it. is it about time to rebuild it, or am i good?

gilby4runner 09-17-2008 09:45 AM

Like you said, "if it aint broke then dont fix it". Put a few paychecks back as a saftey net. That way you will have some in savings if your engine does let go or something else was to happen. Run it until the wheels fall off then use the money to put them back on.

ozziesironmanoffroad 09-17-2008 10:23 AM

about what i was thinking... i guess the enginebuilder cam can wait.. lol

gilby4runner 09-17-2008 10:36 AM

Buy a piece at a time. Save up and get the cam, save some more and get header, ect. Just another option.

ozziesironmanoffroad 09-17-2008 12:09 PM

yeah but is it safe to put a new cam on such a high mileage engine?

904_runner 09-17-2008 12:17 PM

idk, i would wait til something goes wrong before tearing into it. i want to do a 3.4 swap, but im going to wait until the 3.0 goes, most likely.

X2 on saving money for a saftey net, no matter how hard it is to do.

ozziesironmanoffroad 09-17-2008 12:32 PM

yeah ive thought bout an engine swap, but im just gonna keep the 22re.

85toy 09-17-2008 12:41 PM

like others have said save your money you might need to rebuild the axle or something.

ozziesironmanoffroad 09-17-2008 02:36 PM

yeah, but its not safe to put a high performance cam in an engine with high mileage, is it?

dlbrunner 09-17-2008 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad (Post 50924626)
yeah, but its not safe to put a high performance cam in an engine with high mileage, is it?

It "might" shorten the life. If you are at 300K, you probably don't want to stress those little squirrels any more than need be. Plus, with a new cam you have to install it. Murphy's law will step in here, the day you get it all buttoned up, you will throw a rod and have to tear the whole thing apart again.

Buy the cam, set it aside and build a killer engine to install all at once

Let the 22re run till it dies.

Again, Murphy may step in again and that dang engine will run till 500K LOL!

ozziesironmanoffroad 09-17-2008 07:08 PM

thats what im thinkin, dlb

NicCantDecide 09-17-2008 08:10 PM

I need to tow a trailer and my racecar with my 4Runner and I've been contemplating swapping out my engine. I've got a 3VZ-E and I want to swap in a 5VZ-FE, but I keep thinking that my 3VZ is running so well right now, not a single problem except for the gutlessness lol.

Its a tough decision because it aint broke so I don't need to fix it. It just comes down to your current needs. If there's no big need for more power and the engine runs perfectly well, then don't touch it.

ozziesironmanoffroad 09-17-2008 08:16 PM

yeah ive come to that conclusion. im just gonna throw a header on there, a flowmaster, a better cat, a snorkle, 2 inch lift kit, 33s, gears, and lockers, and call it good. (i want to have everything done before i move out, cuz once that happens i wont have much money for awhile for moddin it out)