Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear window only goes down only half-way

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear window goes down only half-way

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum after just purchasing an 1989 4Runner SR5 3.0 5sp with ~218k miles on it from a fellow YotaTech'er. It has already been lifted 3" on the body and it looks and rides pretty sweet. There is significant amount of work to be done to the truck, one of which is to fix the rear window and tailgate.

The problem as it stands is that the rear window only goes down about half way and only by using the console switch. The key does not work at all. Because the window only goes down half way, I can't open the tailgate. I have opened the panel from the inside and looked for any obstruction, but couldn't find any. Does anyone have an idea why this would happen?

I've come across the 4crawler page regarding this subject (http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/index.shtml) and I'm hoping somebody else has come across this issue and can point me in the right direction before I jump in headfirst

Last edited by horatio; 02-19-2008 at 10:42 AM. Reason: title
Old 02-19-2008, 01:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Check to make sure the screws holding the license plate are not so long as to interfere with the glass going down.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by InternetRoadkill
Check to make sure the screws holding the license plate are not so long as to interfere with the glass going down.
Thanks, that could be it. A couple of the bolts have sheared their heads off, so i'm going to have to figure out how to get them out. Any clues?
Old 02-19-2008, 03:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
no your going to want to look at the electricial system.. IE relay... search is was discuss like last week..also 4crawlers site is good for info on the power window... al the information to fix our trucks is out there on the web already.... factory service manuals everything...
and forget the lisence plate bolts you can look at them from the inside if you have to look at the motor.... if you run 12volts to the motor it till go up or down
Old 02-19-2008, 07:11 PM

If the window is moving half-way down without problems, it's unlikely to be an electrical issue. Also, you can't see the license plates screws from the interior access panel. You can see them (barely) if you remove the weatherstripping on the outside, but to do that, you have to remove the glass.

Check the screws. There's not much clearance between the glass and the outer gate panel. I speak from experience on this. I bought an 88 for parts and wanted to remove the rear glass. It wouldn't go up. The license screws were catching the window regulator rail that supports the glass as it moved by.

If the heads are gone, you're going to have to drill them and use an ez-out.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by InternetRoadkill
If the window is moving half-way down without problems, it's unlikely to be an electrical issue. Also, you can't see the license plates screws from the interior access panel. You can see them (barely) if you remove the weatherstripping on the outside, but to do that, you have to remove the glass.

Check the screws. There's not much clearance between the glass and the outer gate panel. I speak from experience on this. I bought an 88 for parts and wanted to remove the rear glass. It wouldn't go up. The license screws were catching the window regulator rail that supports the glass as it moved by.

If the heads are gone, you're going to have to drill them and use an ez-out.
Thanks for the heads up! I will most likely have to get the beheaded bolts out because at this point, I can't even mount my plates properly and it's probably what's causing the window from going down all the way.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:22 AM

You may be able to reach into the gate from the inside and feel for the screws to see how long they are. It might save you some work. While you're feeling around, run your fingers along the window tracks and make sure there's nothing stuck in them.