Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Rear towbar for 86 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear towbar for 86 4runner

I have an 86 4runner SR5 that I have a tow ball on the stock bumper and I want to put on a towbar with receiving hitch, but when I search for one, I cannot find anything other than this that fits my truck. I find this hard to believe, so I thought I would ask here for ideas.
TIA
HS
Old 11-24-2017, 02:57 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Here's what I did and it works great: find a competent welder (or weld it yourself if you have the equipment and skills) and give them plans for a custom hitch bar. I had mine made from 2" square tubing, 1/4" plate and a Reese receiver. Too dark for a photo, I'll take one tomorrow. I painted it with KYB Rust Seal and top coated with Rust-Oleum. Total cost was around $150, including paint and hardware.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:59 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
it's a 30+ year old truck. market is getting smaller for them every year..25 years ago no problem finding them
hit the boneyards
Old 11-25-2017, 02:13 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Just what are you planning to drag with your new hitch ??

If you could Fabricate why even post so that seems to not be a in house option

A friend you could bribe or black mail into doing the work??

If those bolts have not been out since new they will fight every thread .

This could get expensive!!

Quick and dirty get a bolt on receiver reinforce the stock bumper done it all comes down to what you plan to drag

Last edited by wyoming9; 11-25-2017 at 02:19 AM.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go to uhaul.... they will have something that fits. They have hitches that fit many applications with multiple mounting holes on semi-universal mounting plates, etc. They can get one on no problem. Mine is as old as the truck...and it is my "real" bumper.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:11 AM

called my local uhaul and they said nope, nothing fits, but bring it in and we can quote you on a fabrication deal. Not sure I want to go that route.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:59 AM

Here's the pics of my tow-bar. At this point, I could make this and I'm not a very good welder. Point is, anyone who can weld will be able to make one of these, probably for a lot less $ than U-Haul. I've had 4 heavy bicycles hanging off a long rack and it'll hardly bounce. As for towing, my brakes will fail before this bar does.

I have future plans to weld up my own bumper with an integrated hitch receiver so I can regain the departure angle I lost with this setup. I've banged my tail end a few times and it's always a shock.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:08 AM

Thanks. What year is yours and did you have to drill out for the mounting bolts? Also, related is how did you wire up the lights? I used a normal 4-pin and got everything except tailights when the lights are on. I read you needed a converter, so I picked up a Hopkins 46255 and the initial attempt to install that produced no results. Any tips?
Old 12-01-2017, 08:04 AM

It's an '85. I didn't have to drill any holes besides the 2 on each of the hitch bracket plates that tie in to the frame. The Reese receiver has mounting holes that line up with the stock bumper's holes, so that must be a standard hitch receiver spacing.

I could've had the shop drill the bracket plate holes, but my plans were hand drawn so I didn't know where they went until I was test-fitting. Once your stock bumper's off, you could mark the hitch plates where the holes need to go and bring it back to the shop.

If you go this route, measure the distance of where your inner hitch bar mounting brackets will go with the stock bumper in place. Or at least factor in the width of the stock bumper's mounting plates into your measurements otherwise your new hitch bar will be a little short. I messed up and measured the drop-down frame rails alone so I had to bend the brackets outward with an anvil and BFH.

Last edited by gsp4life; 12-01-2017 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-08-2018, 10:29 AM

I have some lined up with the 2" tubing and plates and I need to pick up a receiver hitch, but when I google reese receiver, I am not finding anything except a full on towbar. Is there something specific that I am looking for or would this work?
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...n?cm_vc=IOPDP1
Old 02-08-2018, 10:38 AM

That would work fine, here's the one I used. Looking at it again I guess it's not Reese, I just picked it up at AutoZone when I saw it.

https://m.costway.com/5000lb-step-bumper-mount-mounting-for-2-hitch-receiver-rv-trailer-truck.html
Old 02-08-2018, 10:52 AM

Thanks, since he is squeezing me in, I am going to pick this up at out local tractor store, which looks it should work and has the nice chain hook holes.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...receiver-hitch
Old 02-09-2018, 10:38 AM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
Most moderate sized towns in Colorado have at least one "Joe's Hitch and Welding" shop. Find the closest one and tell them what you want. I'd bet they could come up with something and make it fit.