YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   which rear locker? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/rear-locker-146428/)

LTrunner 05-31-2008 06:24 AM

which rear locker?

yet another thread about this, did some iuck sreachoing and found nothing i'm looking for. my current setup is 89 4runneer 3.0L, it was an auto but now is a 5spd, i have a lockrite in the rear which was bearable with the auto but now with the 5spd, it driving me mental! the lockrite in not not like the 4cly ones,yes the v6 one is different. anyways i'm looking for a cheap lunchbox stlye locker for thee rear that dosen't have the "play" in the driveshaft caused by the locker. what i mean by "play" is that with the vehcile in nueteral on level ground i can grab the d-shaft and trun it by hand about 20* before it turns the wheels. i looked into it and now know it's the design of the lockr that casues this, the pins that go over the crosspin conecting the 2halfs go in to slot's that are about 1/4 of an inch long. so i'm looking to swap out this locker for another, if i can't find what i'm looking for i'm just gonna spool it with a trail gear spool. thanks for your help:banger:

tc 06-01-2008 09:15 AM

All lockers have increased backlash like that.

There are LOTS of downsides to running a spool on the street, but it certainly the least complex/most reliable way of locking the rear.

LTrunner 06-02-2008 04:46 PM

yeah so my choices are a $500 detroit or a $200 spool...not too worried about running the spool cuase i know dozens of poeple running welded rear ends and they like them alot more than the locker. i don't see the difference in running a welded rear to running a spooled rear.

Luvmeye22re 06-02-2008 04:50 PM

I loved my Detroit on the street and plan on buying another one for sure, but that's for my DD. I've never had a lockright so I can't comment on how they compare but the only time I really noticed the Detroit on the street was while deccelarating through a pretty sharp turn, and sometimes it got a little squirrely in the snow (a spool would be worse though). I would go Detroit personally and wouldn't buy a spool because I'd just weld it :D See if there is another member close to you with a Detroit that wouldn't mind letting you test spin one :banger:

And yes even with a Detroit, you will spin a wheel just a hair or the d-shaft before engagement. I think it's just a locker thing. The only difference between a welded and a spooled rear is cost (if you have access to a welder) and the fact that you can pull the spool and you won't need to replace the spider gears after welding them all together.

LTrunner 06-02-2008 04:56 PM

i've been in rigs with detriots...they are nice...i just don't want to spend $500 on one right now, i'm gonna get one after the SAS when i re-gear. also you can't weld a v6 third casue it's a split case carrier. i could how ever buy a 4cly thrid, weld it and pop it in for now?.?.?.

misterzee 06-02-2008 05:27 PM

don't spend too much money on your spool, you'll hate it worse than the LR.
There's not really any way to get the best of both worlds without spending $$.

Jay351 06-02-2008 05:34 PM

wow, I love my lockright! It has great manners on the road.

In anycase, why not just go all out and find a used e-locker? Probibly get one around the same price as a detroit. Then just re-gear the e-locked third to work with your ride.

90Runner 06-02-2008 05:37 PM

Same I like my lockrite.

Brenjen 06-02-2008 05:41 PM

I doubt you'll ruin the spool.....

Matt16 06-02-2008 08:05 PM

My Aussie is hardly noticeable on the street. Unfortunately Aussie doesn't make a locker for the V6 diff. With a spool, you'll spend what you would on the Detroit/ E-locker in tires in short order.

The best behaved "lunchbox locker" for you're application is the Powertrax No Slip. Unfortunately, they aren't reputed to be so reliable.

Hayes 06-02-2008 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by LTrunner (Post 50844188)
i've been in rigs with detriots...they are nice...i just don't want to spend $500 on one right now, i'm gonna get one after the SAS when i re-gear. also you can't weld a v6 third casue it's a split case carrier. i could how ever buy a 4cly thrid, weld it and pop it in for now?.?.?.

If you plan on regearing later down the road anyways, find a used 4 cylinder 3rd member and weld it. You have to set the gears up again with any other type of locker or spool and that is just money wasted if you are planning on doing it again. Either that, or just wheel it open until you are ready to SAS and regear.

YeloSub7 06-02-2008 08:28 PM

Never used the aussie, but have heard great things, I say go for that. Spool is no good on the road at all. Or welded... lockright is all bad. Detroit = AWESOME!

weld is cheapest, spool does the same thing properly, aussie sounds nice, detroit is the best imo.

Matt16 06-02-2008 08:30 PM

He can't buy an Aussie for a V6 diff. They don't make a 4 pinion locker, only the 4cyl diff. It is very nice, providing you have the correct oil.

Snipes4ever 06-02-2008 09:14 PM

LTrunner, if you are selling your lockright, please pm me or send me an email as i may be interested. I tryed sending you a pm but it didn't give me the option. Thanks

Jay351 06-02-2008 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by YeloSub7 (Post 50844343)
Never used the aussie, but have heard great things, I say go for that. Spool is no good on the road at all. Or welded... lockright is all bad. Detroit = AWESOME!

weld is cheapest, spool does the same thing properly, aussie sounds nice, detroit is the best imo.

I don't know what your experience with the lock right is, but mine has been wonderful. I NEVER have any issues with it and I DD my truck. Incorrect instalation?

Kaleb 06-02-2008 10:09 PM

I say spool it. I love mine.

kd 06-03-2008 06:00 AM

toyota axles seem to hold up well with the spider gears welded, i would say the pros are that its easy and cheap the cons are that you never know if those spider gears are gonna go

LTrunner 06-03-2008 04:18 PM

yeah i wasn't gonna spend money on the detroit now, just re-do it later...as for the welded/spooled i've riden i rigs with both and they aren't that bad.really think i'm gonna buy a 4cly third and weld it untill i can do 5:29s a detriot