YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Rear Disc Swap (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/rear-disc-swap-107749/)

Elvota 02-20-2007 06:13 AM

Even though it looks more like a trail rig, it is my daily driver. Only vehicle I own actually. :hillbill:

E-Brake... probably a transfer case brake. I am looking at getting some GM calipers with parking brake, but I have heard it is difficult to make those work right.

Bill 02-20-2007 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Elvota (Post 50439260)
E-Brake... probably a transfer case brake.

If you manage to rig up a T-case brake with a V6 t-case, you defonitly need to do a write up!

Elvota 02-20-2007 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bill (Post 50439507)
If you manage to rig up a T-case brake with a V6 t-case, you defonitly need to do a write up!

I guess I'll have to install that dual ultimate crawler sitting in my garage before I do the T-case brake. Poor, poor me. Such a busy weekend ahead. 217:1 here I come! :hillbill:

Although, looking at the Sky and All Pro kits, I don't really see why it is so hard to mount one on a V6 case. Both kits have plates that match the 4CYL case, so why couldn't one modify or make their own plate to match the V6 case?

I am sure I am missing something, or a lot of somethings.

Bill 02-20-2007 02:16 PM

I think the issue with mounting it to the 6cyl case is the lack of seperate housings. All t-case brakes I've seen mount to the case by replacing the stock housing bolts with longer ones and mounting the brake to that. I havn't looked at the V6 case too close, but I don't think it has mounting points like that.

You don't want to instal that dual ultimate crawler...sheer junk. Don't worry, I'll take it off your hands for you.

westy44runner 02-22-2007 09:01 AM

Incredible write up Steve. Right down to the last detail...that is going to help out quite a few people I imagine, including myself some day.

shoes138 05-22-2007 08:00 AM

would this work for the 2wd trucks? could i use the brackets? thanks

Elvota 05-22-2007 08:08 AM

I am not personally familiar with the way the 2WD's are set up. Sky Manufacturing may be able to tell you if the brackets would work. In theory, the rest of the swap would be very similar if not exact.

Fizboy 05-31-2007 08:46 AM

Parking brake for V6

Elvota. What do you do for an E-brake at the moment?

I was comparing my V6 transfer case with some pictures from the All Pro Parking Brake Review on 4x4 wire. The cases are very similar but have a few small differences that make bolting the All Pro system up to it impossible. Since I am so curious I called All Pro and asked why they didn't offer a bracket for the V6 model. The explanation I received was that they never got around to doing one. I also asked if they knew of anyone who makes brackets that would fit the V6 and they did not know of anyone.

However I think that someone with the right skills and tools could easily make a bracket that would work or modify the All Pro bracket to work.

If anyone has done this let us know. I am wanting to install one of the All Pro parking brake and would be willing to pay for a bracket proven to work.

Elvota 05-31-2007 11:07 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Right now I use a electric E-Brake which works amazingly well, but does no good as a backup system since it requires the hydro system to be intact for operation. Also, I don't use it long term due to the battery drain. Really does a great job on the trail though. Holds easily at 20 degrees... probably even steeper if traction is there.

This is the one I got:
Biondo line lock: SBR-LL
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku

I needed some adapters as well.

EAR-989538ERL
EAR-916103ERL
EAR-592032ERL

Here is how it looks with adapters before install:
Attachment 172734

I mounted all this around where the LSPV originally was, so just before the flex line down to the rear axle.

Pic of unit mounted (pardon the Moab mud :hillbill:):
Attachment 172735

As far as a transfer case brake goes, that is what I plan for the future. I did a Crawler install so I now have 4CYL cases. I am not aware of a V6 adapter, although I know a lot of people on YT would like to see one.

I'll be keeping this line lock regardless of future E-Brake mods. It works really well, very simple to use and I would highly recommend it even for vehicles currently running a mechanical brake. I can engage the switch which holds the vehicle, then creep out the clutch until I am about to stall... then just add gas and hit the switch to release the brakes. Very easy and allows starts on even the steepest sections of trail. :great:

FredTJ 05-31-2007 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Elvota (Post 50540688)
<SNIP>

I'll be keeping this line lock regardless of future E-Brake mods. It works really well, very simple to use and I would highly recommend it even for vehicles currently running a mechanical brake. I can engage the switch which holds the vehicle, then creep out the clutch until I am about to stall... then just add gas and hit the switch to release the brakes. Very easy and allows starts on even the steepest sections of trail. :great:

Oh simpy swap to an auto tranny and not have to worry with all that silly stall, not enough feet, line locks, etc. ;) ;)

:)
Fred

Bskey 09-23-2007 08:09 AM

Great writeup! Thanks! So judging by the beginning of the thread, this will not work on an '85 4Runner? What are the differences in the 85 vs. 88 rear drums?

Yoda 09-23-2007 08:42 AM

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe it is a clearance issue with the leaf springs. The 85 axle is 3" narrower (1 1/2" each side)

Bskey 09-23-2007 10:45 AM

^^ that makes sense, but if a drum can fit, I would think a disk could... maybe it's the calipers and lines that get in the way?

Elvota 09-23-2007 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Bskey (Post 50622283)
Great writeup! Thanks! So judging by the beginning of the thread, this will not work on an '85 4Runner? What are the differences in the 85 vs. 88 rear drums?

Not necessarily. I was just listing the vehicle I did the swap on. I don't have a direct understanding of whether or not such a swap would work on other vehicles.

My bet would be that it will work, but I'd ask Sky Manufacturing... they should know for sure in regards to the compatibility of their brackets in regards to different axle widths and such.

sschaefer3 12-24-2008 09:46 AM

This is an outstanding writeup, I followed it to add rear discs to my rock buggy, it makes the job incredibly easy.

The only thing I have to add is that if you want a brake line clip for:

"38149 (Qty 2): 1980-82 Nissan 200SX brake line"

It is a Nissan line and you will need a Nissan Clip, the old and new Toyot5a clips are too small.

The Nissan Clip for this line is part number: 46206-M0200

I used two line locks, one for the front and one for the rear. Axed the All-Pro T-Case brake.

So now I have Toyota hard line going to a Nissan soft line which them go to a GM caliper. :banger:

RRIND 12-24-2008 10:28 PM

Hi All, I would like to know if anyone knows if there is a way you could take the parts for this off say a newer model Toyota(possibly salvage) and do the same setup...?

Something that would be bolt-on Toyota parts and include an E-Brake...?

Thanks
RRIND

drew303 12-24-2008 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by RRIND (Post 51009520)
Hi All, I would like to know if anyone knows if there is a way you could take the parts for this off say a newer model Toyota(possibly salvage) and do the same setup...?

Something that would be bolt-on Toyota parts and include an E-Brake...?

Thanks
RRIND

yes and no. I have a rear disc setup, like elvotas (you can find my writeup here on yotatech ..or click the link in my sig, you'll find a link).

Theres basically two options, full floater conversion (frontrange offroad) and keep with all toyota parts.. which you would use 4cyl or v6 86-95 calipers. Or Elvota and what I did, the more cost effective, and performance effective method, gm calipers, gm rotors. It just makes sense if you're keeping semi-floaters.

You could theoretically fit anything you wanted to but you're lookn at some very custom fabrication.

and even still, i think only landcruiser, tundras?? use rear disc setups. Tacomas sure dont, at least my bro's 2009 TRD sure as hell has drums (wtf i said haha) ...

and im not sure if tundras/LC's use 5.5-6 wheels so im just blowing hot air here.

but... im sure you could fab anything you wanted =)

but gotta ask yourself... is it worth the hassle?

btw, cadilac and i think supras have rear-discs..with ebrakes but the supra brakes work with the full-floater conversion and the caddy calipers from what ive read are a beeatch to connect to our parking cable setup.

T-case brake, gm calipers, gm rotors, locker. Done son!

besides, they look sexy =P

http://www.dojodesign.com/toyota/pic/mounted.jpg

GenXr 12-25-2008 05:08 PM

Using the t-case mounted e-brake set up, do you find that the vehicle rolls an inch or two before it feels like the e-brake holds?

I have the spidertrax t-case mounted ebrake on my suzuki samurai and I get a little bit of roll before it catches. I'm told that is a symptom of the "slop" in my drive train.

How true is that and is this the same for toyotas?

waskillywabbit 12-25-2008 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by GenXr (Post 51009950)
Using the t-case mounted e-brake set up, do you find that the vehicle rolls an inch or two before it feels like the e-brake holds?

I have the spidertrax t-case mounted ebrake on my suzuki samurai and I get a little bit of roll before it catches. I'm told that is a symptom of the "slop" in my drive train.

How true is that and is this the same for toyotas?

I have a tcase brake on my 85 4Runner and the vehicle holds firm...no slop. I purchased the used one Steve had up for sale to put on my 85 ext cab.

:guitar:

drew303 12-26-2008 01:48 PM

um, you could get some slop ... what lil play there is in the third member, then however much the rear springs twist. For me its hardly noticeable. My only complaint is getting enough force on the disc to hold the truck. I played around with mine quite a bit and got it as best I could but you still gotta rip on the parking handle to get it to hold firm, but it will hold firm.

Also, my guess with the older rear axles, there might not be enough room between the leaf springs for the bracket and caliper and room for the brake line (my brake line barely bends enough to as is) .. without running it below the leaf spring where it can get damaged.