YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Rear coils, there has GOT to be a better way! (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/rear-coils-there-has-got-better-way-187595/)

nevermore1701 07-27-2009 06:22 PM

Rear coils, there has GOT to be a better way!

My plan is to replace the coils with new Toyota springs to get rid of ass sag. They're still in transit, but I decided to do a dry run today to see how difficult it will be.

It.sucked.ass.

I found a couple of walkthroughs, and followed them.

Block front wheels.
Jack up and put frame on stands, so rear axle is hanging all the way down, tires off the ground.
Remove tires.
Disconnect sway bars and shocks.
Disconnect panhard bar.

After all that, I just about killed myself trying to get the damn springs off! I measured them while they were off, 14 3/8", for whatever that's worth. Then getting them back on was even worse than getting them off.... With longer, stiffer new springs, I'm worried I won't be able to. Any more suggestions?

Justinlhc 07-27-2009 06:35 PM

Ummmm....spring compressors???? You can rent/borrow a set from most auto parts stores.

Tragic Drive 07-27-2009 06:38 PM

I used these but I could also hear them wimper when I used em on cruiser springs. Regardless they went in the trash after that swap.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3980

tc 07-27-2009 06:45 PM

I would avoid disconnecting the panhard if you can. Mine was a super PITA to get lined up and back on.

The key step you're missing is "fat friend stands on brake drum". Just need some more leverage on the axle. Putting a jackstand under the other side of the axle might help too, but would make it hard to be secure (might lift the truck off the frame jackstands)

nevermore1701 07-27-2009 06:51 PM

Reconnecting the panhard was actually about the easiest step! Just jacked up the other side a bit and it slid right on.

i'll have to look into those spring compressors, see if the Autozone down the road has a set I could borrow.

BoostinChick 07-27-2009 06:53 PM

:pics:

Ardent 07-27-2009 06:54 PM

yeah, autozone or Advance should rent 'em. That's how I got my cruiser coils in. Sucked though...

nevermore1701 07-27-2009 06:56 PM

I'll take pics when I actually do the swap, if anyone wants them.

These things had BETTER even the ass out PERFECTLY with the front, or I'm gonna have a cow.... (I'll probably end up having that cow, the way my luck is....)

T4L 07-27-2009 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by nevermore1701 (Post 51192190)
I'll take pics when I actually do the swap, if anyone wants them.

These things had BETTER even the ass out PERFECTLY with the front, or I'm gonna have a cow.... (I'll probably end up having that cow, the way my luck is....)

I'll want to see some pics. Advanced or Autozone will have the spring compressors to loan. Thats what I used when I spacer lifted my Tacoma. Big PITA.

nevermore1701 07-27-2009 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by T4L (Post 51192219)
I'll want to see some pics. Advanced or Autozone will have the spring compressors to loan. Thats what I used when I spacer lifted my Tacoma. Big PITA.

I'd imagine it will be downright easy compared to doing it by hand!

T4L 07-27-2009 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by nevermore1701 (Post 51192221)
I'd imagine it will be downright easy compared to doing it by hand!

Maybe a little.

nevermore1701 07-27-2009 07:31 PM

I'll be sure to write up a comparison, most people probably aren't dumb enough to even try it without the tool.

FredTJ 07-27-2009 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by nevermore1701 (Post 51192225)
I'll be sure to write up a comparison, most people probably aren't dumb enough to even try it without the tool.

You don't need the spring compressor and they are actually a little dangerous for someone who doesn't know how to use them.
I've lifted a lot of vehicles (that is replaced the coil springs) and have never needed a spring compressor for up to 4" of lift.
The way that you did it (jack up the other end of the axle) is the correct way.
BTW, watch your break lines. It's not a bad idea to unbolt them from the axle and them put 'em back when you are finished.

:)
Fred

Master Yota 07-28-2009 09:27 AM

I swapped out the rear coils in my buddies 92 4runner for some FJ80 coil springs, it was cake! all we had was a high lift jack under the rear bumper and all we unhooked was the rear shocks. we jacked the truck up untill the rear tire was off the ground and pushed down on the tire, and the coil springs almost just fell out. and it had stiffer 4 inch lift coils already in it!

nevermore1701 07-28-2009 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Master Yota (Post 51192618)
I swapped out the rear coils in my buddies 92 4runner for some FJ80 coil springs, it was cake! all we had was a high lift jack under the rear bumper and all we unhooked was the rear shocks. we jacked the truck up untill the rear tire was off the ground and pushed down on the tire, and the coil springs almost just fell out. and it had stiffer 4 inch lift coils already in it!

Damn, I wish mine were that easy!

bigtrucknwheels 07-28-2009 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by tc (Post 51192175)
I would avoid disconnecting the panhard if you can. Mine was a super PITA to get lined up and back on.

The key step you're missing is "fat friend stands on brake drum". Just need some more leverage on the axle. Putting a jackstand under the other side of the axle might help too, but would make it hard to be secure (might lift the truck off the frame jackstands)

Hey now watch who you are calling fat!

tc 07-28-2009 12:18 PM

Well, maybe that's the problem - he needs to find a fatter friend!

nevermore1701 07-28-2009 12:40 PM

Hell, I'm doing this solo, I'd settle for a skinny friend LOL.

93toyrunner 07-28-2009 02:05 PM

Another thing that really helps is with the axle hanging free jack up one side and it will help drop the other side an inche or two, then have a friend step on the brake drum to bring it down it little bit farther, I did one side without a compressor it just slid in the other side I could not get the other side out because the sway bar would not come off.