Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Re: Coolant leak in the back of 3VZE Diagnosis possible w/o teardown?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 12:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Re: Coolant leak in the back of 3VZE Diagnosis possible w/o teardown?

I was going to bump this thread back up so I could ask for mt_goat or T.C.'s feedback and help here but not having found this subject at all after searching both online and w/ the search tool in here and the super search engine, I decided to ask this way it's available for future searches or the FAQ.(Maybe?)

Today I had the experience of finding a coolant leak coming from the back of our block. Pretty small, as it only left about a 4" around puddle of coolant. The coolant and intake system were gone through last year by a tech-friend at our local dealership, who sadly has moved out of the area after a lay-off. Before we spend a boatload on either the dealership handling it, or go ahead and go into things ourselves we decided to look, but could not verify the specific source but upon inspection saw..

*One possibility that's now been addressed, the coolant line into the heater control valve had a twist-style-cotter-pin hose clamp (factory thing) that we removed and replaced with a standard hose clamp, being careful so as not to overtighten due to it being a plastic component.

That stopped that source, we took the truck for a spin and are going to leave it to cool off and sit in the exact position it was before so we can verify if this was the issue or not.

Here's where I might be overthinking things, but if so it might give an easy way out later if things are still leaking, read on....

*The Second possibility is one of those "Can this be done?" questions.

Is there a way to see/check in between the intake manifold and block valley area (where the knock sensor is) to find out if the manifold gasket red o-rings are going or perhaps it is the bypass hose gasket itself without having to take out the intake plenum and manifold? As in, can you go in past the u-opening around the back of the bypass hose by going up through and around the exhaust or from the back-top of the plenum?

Will a borescope work for this and be able to reach in far enough while not involving a bunch of limbo-yoga exercises?

**Any suggestions for this and possibly a borescope that has more than the 12" distance limitation the one the local parts store has?

Sorry so long, but you never know unless you ask.

Last edited by KelleyC; 07-18-2009 at 12:51 AM.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not sure about the a/p store but I've seen a scope at a few Home Depots with around a 24" long reach. Don't know if they rent them though.
And using a black light may help since green coolant should fluoresce / glow under a black light.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:33 AM

Abe, have a link for the tool, HD isn't showing it on the link I have.

Also, Toyota Red only, evar!
Too many past issues with other Toyota's and the green-goo.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, like I said, I've "seen" them at HD's. IIRC, Rigid was the brand. Basically a small screen on a handle and a long, flexible scope.

I just scoped out HD's site and the only scope they show is wireless, can transmit video over 800 ft away... and almost 1800 buckeroos. That's all I've got to say about that.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:54 AM

We just went to HD and there is a Milwaukee Bore Scope roughly $250 with really nice resolution and 2x optical zoom, only one problem though.

It only comes in one option, a head that will "..fit into holes as small as 3/4" in diameter..."

In other words, there are not any options for a smaller lens, and it loks like that steel plate is only maybe 12-13mm wide at it's opening. Combine it with the fact the main non-flexible lens portion is easily 3" long and it would only get stuck and possibly worst case break off and fall into the block valley.

My time and a replacement set of gaskets is cheaper and fa better than even $250.

Back to shopping and taking ideas. Most I'd spend would be $300 on a borescope, anything more it would have to be a Mac or Snap-On with the smaller lens option borrowed from work like this one,

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

That or con the local E/R-Surgery dept for a loaner.

Last edited by KelleyC; 07-18-2009 at 09:57 AM.