Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

re-assembly time. just about done, but where do these pieces go?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re-assembly time. just about done, but where do these pieces go?

Ive got my engine back in finally, but theres a few things that i can't figure out what they connect to

#2 tube on bottom of some vacuum switch thing

#3 fitting on the side of a plug connected to the vacuum tubes

#4 fitting on the side of the spring screw thing

#5 I broke this and I have no idea what it is. normally theres 2 vacuum tubes that connect to it

Old 08-11-2012, 07:00 PM

oh and when i turn the key on, none of my dash lights come on. really hoping its just a fuse....
Old 08-11-2012, 07:42 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Do you have the FSM?
Old 08-11-2012, 07:48 PM

if i had to take a guess, id say that stands for factory service manual? if thats what it is, i have a haynes manual
Old 08-11-2012, 07:50 PM

There should be a guide in there for vacuum hoses.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:15 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Lemme start by giving you this... It might be SLIGHTLY different as mine is an 87... but I don't think so(and always post up your year in the Thread Title or first post, ya know? ... I'm guessing solely by your sig at this point)... Here's the vacuum layout on my Hood bottom>>>

#1 REALLY LOOKS, but can't be POSITIVE, like the "AC VSV Connector"(it's a valve that sits on the valve cover that looks very similar to the other "VSV-Vacuum Switching Valve" on the back of the valve cover that feeds the Fuel Pressure Regulator/FPR-VSV... The AC/VSV's connector is black and 2 pin and NOT similar to the CSI or Injector or other connectors around there.......

Here is my AC/VSV and connector.....

It's vacuum lines go to the VERY bottom of the "Idle Up Screw Valve on the plenum that you're asking about later... and right next to it on the plenum as well...(Refer to the diagram I posted)

#2 REALLY LOOKS, but can't be POSITIVE, haha... like the "EGR Modulator(Solenoid) Vacuum Line"(It goes to the EGR side t-pipe on one side and the bottom of the EGR Modulator on the other)Modulator is the 3 port actuator, P, Q and R(?) ports on it

Here's the modulator, on the bottom of which has a large vacuum port... One side goes there on the bottom of this....

the other side goes onto this.....

#3..... Not sure with your wording.. I'm a lil confused as to what you're asking. If you mean the valve with the 2 vacuum ports on it on the back of the valve cover... First, it's bolted to the wrong side of the valve cover... It goes into the back/right threaded hole next to the back right Valve cover nut.... Also, those lines, the one coming out the back that should be facing the radiator, in essence, goes to that 3 port filter on the plenum.... The other goes to the Fuel Pressure Regulator attached to the end of the Fuel Rail.......

Here's where the FPR/VSV goes and how it's vacuum lines run(Again, refer to the diagram for the latter if you can't see from the second pic)....

#4 the Screw Vaccum thingymadoer... .that's an adjustable idle up valve for the Power steering Pump Vacuum assist valve that goes on top of the Power steering pump itself. usually a chrome looking thingy with 2 vacuum ports on it. One goes to the screw thingy port, the other goes to the other port to it's left. I THINK... I'd have to look on my vacuum diagram, posted right off in my post..... But here...

#5 is MOST LIKELY your BVSV(Bi-Metallic Valve Switching Valve)... it is critical to proper feed of vacuum to the EGR Vavle.... It actually feeds the rail and then the rail end comes out and feeds the EGR(think of the Hard lines of Vacuum as just 'EXTENSIONS', yeah?) .... The other of the two(I believe the lower) goes to the Modulator port... And the FSM, as mentioned, and even the haynes, or my diagram above, tell you which port on that and everything else got to/come from, K?
Old 08-11-2012, 08:44 PM

wow thank you that helped a ton! i dont seem to have an AC vsv, which would explain why it was the only plug i didnt label (it was never connected to anything), i figured out the power steering thing after some hunting in the haynes manual, you got it right about the fpr/vsv (sorry for the confusing description in the original post), ill go look tomorrow and see if i can get a piece of tubing for that. and as for the BVSV, i learned a bit about it in the past few minutes, and it seems as though i should be fine to run without it for the time being. the bottom part is still firmly threaded with plenty of sealant, so i just wont have egr for now.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:45 PM

and thanks for the diagram as well. the haynes manual diagram isnt very complete, and the one under my hood is barely legible
Old 08-11-2012, 10:17 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
You're welcome

Might wanna put a block plate for the EGR for now? Stuff will still pull... All that BVSV does is pull from the top of the EGR, and the modulator is finally pulled on to open the EGR after the coolant reaches temp........... I'm getting confused already, lol... Just wanna make sure you're not pulling in unwanted gases at unwanted times, I think, ya know? All kinds of things can burn out the 02 Sensor pretty quick, etc.

Best wishes, man... UPDATE ASAP, letting us know it's running and solid!
Old 08-12-2012, 09:30 AM

I have this printed out and mounted under my hood. Each line is colored and numbered on each end. Hope it helps. 8822re