Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Random Questions and Musings About My '94 (w/ Pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Random Questions and Musings About My '94 (w/ Pictures)

I've got a few questions and comments regarding my '94 4Runner. It's a 3.0, 4X4, Auto with 176,000 miles on it. It's pretty mint, from the inside to the out.
First off...
I've got a little leak. I think it's power steering fluid, but I'm not positive. It's got a reddish brown tint to it. A little too red and not thick enough to be oil. I can't tell where it's coming from. It started as a drip at the base of the skid plate, so I took it off, cleaned it, painted it, and degreased the bottom portion of the engine/steering linkage/etc. I left it off for a few days to see if I could tell where it was coming from. No leaks. I put it back on, and it started to leak again. Today I took it off, and there's no fluid on the back side of the skid plate. I poked around, and it seems to me that it's dripping from here:

Right about where that connection is. There was some fluid on there, so I assume it must be dripping from on top of that somewhere. Any ideas? Suggestions? Fixes? It's a REALLY slow leak, maybe a drop a day. I've seen no noticeable difference in the PS fluid. I picked up some Power Steering Fluid with Stop Leak in it, but I'm not sure if I can use it. Doesn't the 4Runner just take ATF fluid in the power steering?

Next: I'm puzzled as to whether or not my truck came with the factory alarm/keyless entry. I didn't get a remote, and when I looked under the seat (where online resources said it should be) I didn't see the alarm module. There's a small black box under the dash by the drivers left foot. I tried to get a good look at it, but I couldn't see any "button" on there that I would press to program a remote (as the online directions dictated). The truck had alarm and Toyo Guard stickers plastered all over the windows when I got it. Here's some pics of what I've got. Also, what's this switch for?

Finally, just a comment. I got new tires yesterday. I didn't really want to spend the dough this soon to get new tires, but there was a nail in one of them and when I went to see about getting it patched the shop told me the tires were from 2002, which I figured since I could see the rubber starting to crack, and that they wouldn't patch them because they were so old. So I went to Sam's and they were having a deal where you got $70 off a set of Goodyear Wrangler SRAs, so I bit the bullet and got them. I called around to some local tire shops and Sam's had the best price on AT tires by about $100, so, since I had to get kicked in the wallet at least I felt like I was getting a deal. What a difference! The improvement is VERY noticeable. I thought I needed new shocks, but the new tires make the ones on there feel SO much better. Now I just need rear springs to fix the sag. There was a little tread left on the old tires, but they were due, and I'm glad I got them. Here's my new shoes.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by tardman91; 05-10-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:10 AM

Anybody have any ideas about my possible power steering leak or insight to what type of alarm I may have or what that switch does?
Old 05-11-2011, 04:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure about the keyless entry part but as far as the leak goes try getting directly underneath from where the dripping is coming from, wipe clean with a rag, then look up/ all around for seepage from all the lines. My 95's got the same leak in that area and it turned out to be a crack in the tranny cooler return line. Nothing massive yet, it just sits for now but a $40 replacement from the dealer will cure that one.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:51 AM

I got a look this morning with the skid plate off, and it seems it's dripping from a point about 3 inches to the right of that joint in my picture, then dripping down on the rod and following it until it drips. I couldn't crawl under there because I was dressed for work, but I'll check it out this afternoon. Thanks.

Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 05-11-2011, 05:33 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
my guess: coolant. broken hose, loose hose, bad seal, etc...
Old 05-11-2011, 12:36 PM

What is this line? I think it might be where it's leaking. I really can't tell because my hands are too big to reach up there and clean it and get a feel to see if it's wet or not. I'm grasping at straws at this point. It's honestly not that big a deal enough to warrant me taking things apart at this point either. It's just annoying me.

To get a better idea of where you're looking here is the front view. The arrow points to the area where something is leaking. The top circle is where I noticed a lot of buildup and some of the mystery fluid. The bottom circle is the area where whatever is dripping usually drips from. When the skid plate is on it drips from the bottom corner of that. It's the front passenger side.

Last edited by tardman91; 05-11-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:15 AM
Contributing Member

Having just suffered through a massive leak in that same spot I'm pretty sure you have a PS leak if you're lucky it's the cheaper low pressure line.

The switch is most likely for an aftermarket alarm system or maybe for some extra lights that are'nt there anymore.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another things on that side that could be leaking PS (ATF) fluid is the ABS actuator. It uses PS lines/fluid for something over there. It should be on the top of the frame towards the front. Should be able to see it from the wheel well...
Old 05-12-2011, 10:44 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah I thought about that ABS thing too... I was'nt going to mention it because it is an uber expensive part to say the least lol... it is most likely a line leaking though...
the power steering fluid is basically used to power the ABS brake "pulser" since it is under constant pressure from the pump.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:46 PM

Thanks guys. At this point it's such a small leak that I'm not too concerned about it. It's just annoying, and a little embarassing to park somewhere and drip ATF fluid on someones driveway. But the leak is so slow it's kind of hit or miss on the dripping anyway. I guess I'll just address it when it gets a little more frequent. At least I have a mechanic friend that won't screw me.

If it could be the PS, how do I flush it, and if I do that, is there a PS fluid with stop-leak that is safe to use? I have a bottle of Prestone power steering fluid with stop-leak, but I can't use that, can I? Don't I have to use ATF fluid in there? Are there any of those with stop-leak? I know those types of products aren't really preferable, but this leak is so minor that I think it might do the trick.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:43 PM

atf in mine really slowed down the leaking ps lines in mine just keep it topped of with the right fluid <atf>
Old 05-12-2011, 04:51 PM

Shouldn't there have always been ATF fluid in there? How did you notice a difference?

So I just put regular ATF fluid in the PS or is there a special type? Do they make any with stop-leak? And lastly, how do I drain the system to add fluid?
Old 05-12-2011, 05:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The ATF (NOT PS FLUID) Has to be Dextron III, IV or V. It will clearly say on the bottle (at least, should...)
Old 05-13-2011, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by toyota4x4907
The ATF (NOT PS FLUID) Has to be Dextron III, IV or V. It will clearly say on the bottle (at least, should...)
Ok. Thanks. Do they make any of that with stop-leak?
Old 05-16-2011, 01:43 PM

Well I narrowed down the fluid to power steering. The transmission fluid is much more red than what is leaking. Tomorrow I'll pick up some ATF with stop-leak and switch it out. What's the easiest way to get the power steering fluid out? I was thinking a syringe or something like a turkey baster to empty the resivior and then refill it with ATF. Would that be enough for the stop-leak to work?
Old 05-16-2011, 05:43 PM

So I picked up some Prestone ATF with Stop-Leak at Wal-Mart and an automotive syringe-type-thing to pull the fluid out of the resivior. Worked like a charm. The fluid that came out was DARK. Must not have been changed in ages. The leak seems to have gotten a tad worse in the last few days, so we'll see if the stop-leak does it's thing. Bottle says a few days or 250 miles.