Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Radiatorbarn.com 3 row all metal radiator

Old 10-18-2010, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radiatorbarn.com 3 row all metal radiator

If you scroll down you can see the one I'm thinking about getting. I'm on my 2nd Spectra 3 row plastic tank from Autozone since June and it's leaking in the same place around the top again.

I'm going to return it and I've heard from people on here they have had luck with the radiatorbarn ones. How is the fitment? I have heard that some slight modifications were necessary with the CSF brand radiators and was curious if these ones from radiatorbarn are CSF.

Just looking for a little input here. Thanks
http://www.radiatorbarn.com/search.php?product=radiator
Old 10-18-2010, 07:50 PM

Just realized my link didn't work, but has anyone had experience with the radiatorbarn.com 2 row or 3 row all metal radiators?
Old 10-18-2010, 07:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by pruney81
If you scroll down you can see the one I'm thinking about getting. I'm on my 2nd Spectra 3 row plastic tank from Autozone since June and it's leaking in the same place around the top again.

I'm going to return it and I've heard from people on here they have had luck with the radiatorbarn ones. How is the fitment? I have heard that some slight modifications were necessary with the CSF brand radiators and was curious if these ones from radiatorbarn are CSF.

Just looking for a little input here. Thanks
http://www.radiatorbarn.com/search.php?product=radiator
I have an all metal 3 core radiator from radiator barn in my 86 4Runner, it was a direct fit, no modifications were needed. Its been in my 4Runner over two years and no problems at all so far.

Last edited by myyota; 10-18-2010 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:52 PM

Sweet, definitely going to get one of those and return the POS Spectra aluminum/plastic one.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:02 PM

Sweet, definitely going to get one of those and return the POS Spectra aluminum/plastic one.
Yea man, those plastic tank radiators are crap, its only a matter of time before they start leaking. Ive never had a problem with an all metal radiator.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:05 PM

It's pretty terrible, on my 2nd one since June, each one only lasted about two months. Oh well, Autozone already told me I can return the 2nd one when I picked it up in August so I guess they're used to the problem.

Last edited by pruney81; 10-18-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:14 PM

I think you will be happy with the new radiator from radiator barn. I had there radiators in several other trucks and ive never had a problem.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
not sure if KOYO makes a fitment for your truck but it's a good buy for the 3rd gen crowd. I have heard at least one horror story of radiator barn customer service but no direct knowledge.

The KOYO radiator was just slightly less online through ebay than as a direct buy-just throwing it out there if that is an option for you.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:38 PM

Thanks, I'll look into that. I'm not sure which route I'm going to take yet. I just want something that will fit and not leak. The last radiator I bought was a few years ago and it was a Modine but I guess they don't make those anymore. I have heard CSF radiators are good but have some fitment issues.

I am curious if anyone knows what brand the radiator barn ones are. I suppose I could just give them a call in the morning and find out.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:46 PM

I have a radiator from radiator barn, 2 row. Put it in the truck about 3 months ago, no problems with fitment or leaks and no overheating. It is a csf radiator.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:31 AM

Thanks, stackedyota I might just go with the 2 row then.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I notice that the only CSF radiator offered for the V6 is the three row, so I'm guessing it has a little more cooling capacity than the two row. Since there's only a $30 cost difference, I would think it would be some cheap insurance.

I like that radiatorbarn offers a lifetime warranty, but if they have bad cust service it wouldn't be so great. Never bought anything from them myself.

I notice that autohausaz.com only sells the CSF. That's usually a good recommendation since the gals over at autohausaz only sell good quality parts. Don't think there's a lifetime warranty from them, tho.

I've read that the CSF is a good radiator; the only fitment issues I've read of resulted from the cap being in a different location. On the V6 radiator the cap is in the same loc as the OEM, so no problem. Not sure about the ones for the L4.

The only other complaint I've read about CSF is that the draincock does not have a drain tube like the OEM, so when you go to drain it, coolant kind of sprays out all around the plastic drain plug, making kind of a mess.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:32 AM

I ordered the 2 row. Since that's what the truck came with stock I'm sure I'll be fine. Plus I have a newer fan clutch and the truck ran fine with the crappy aftermarket radiator it had in it before I decided to go with the spectra which has turned out to be a big hassle over the last 4 months.

Last edited by pruney81; 10-21-2010 at 04:35 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:07 AM

new CSF radiator and cap cross reference

i just purchased a CSF 2057 for my 2WD v6 PU (1989) from autopartswarehouse.com for $147.18 (no s/h and a $7.75 discount). do a live chat with a sales rep and you can get a discount code or you can place your order via the chat and get a couple of more $ off the website price.

it looks to be a good replacement part but it did not come with a cap. i was able to find a cross reference chart for the CSF cap required (4502, which is unobtainable as far as i know) and a STANT cap (10227). here's the site for the cross ref: http://www.csfimports.com/csf_catalog/#
Old 11-13-2010, 08:00 AM

I just purchased my second Northern radiator for a second truck. Cost me 120. First one has been in my 85 for a year with no problems. Cools great.
Design is aluminum with plastic cap or ends. Lifetime warranty.
Tcop
Old 11-13-2010, 08:02 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
autohausaz.com sells the Japanese-made Futaba and Sankei, for 10 and 11 dollars, respectively. They will be better than any other brand, imho. I think the Futaba is the one sold by the dealer. BTW autohausaz also has the best prices I've found on Aisin brake & clutch cylinders, and I think they give free ground ship on orders over $50, or deduct the cost of ground from the cost of a faster delivery service.

Last edited by sb5walker; 11-13-2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:43 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Has anyone that went to a 3 row had any issues with over cooling.

In the winter where it gets a little cool when the day time temp just gets above 0F

I have had bad luck with the plastic tank ones
Old 11-14-2010, 09:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ordered the 2 row. Since that's what the truck came with stock I'm sure I'll be fine. Plus I have a newer fan clutch and the truck ran fine with the crappy aftermarket radiator it had in it before I decided to go with the spectra which has turned out to be a big hassle over the last 4 months.
If it came with a 2-row, replace it with a 2-row. I tried a 3-row in my truck because of the fabled "extra cooling capacity", but it would run hot on the highway on hot days, a situation where the 2-row caused no problems. I think the coolant flows more slowly through the 3-row when the 3-row is installed in a 2-row application.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Keith B.
If it came with a 2-row, replace it with a 2-row. I tried a 3-row in my truck because of the fabled "extra cooling capacity", but it would run hot on the highway on hot days, a situation where the 2-row caused no problems. I think the coolant flows more slowly through the 3-row when the 3-row is installed in a 2-row application.
That makes absolutely no sense at all, switching from a two core radiator to a three core radiator will not make your truck over heat. If your truck is over heating with a three core radiator then you have other problems, it could be a bad fan clutch, thermostat, or water pump. Ive had a three core radiator on my 4Runner for two years and ive never had any problems.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by myyota
That makes absolutely no sense at all, switching from a two core radiator to a three core radiator will not make your truck over heat. If your truck is over heating with a three core radiator then you have other problems, it could be a bad fan clutch, thermostat, or water pump. Ive had a three core radiator on my 4Runner for two years and ive never had any problems.
Have you had any issues with the 3 core since you moved to the colder weather?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Radiatorbarn.com 3 row all metal radiator