Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Radiator Fan On Constantly 91 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radiator Fan On Constantly 91 4Runner

Hey Guys,

I haven't been on this forum for a long time, seeing that I was busy with school mostly.

I've gotten most of my 4Runner's problems fixed (see previous posts). However, one thing that occurred which is bothering me at this moment.

Last weekend, I noticed that my 4Runner was leaking a significant amount of coolant. I took my 4Runner to the mechanic, and he repaired it. The mechanic said he also repaired the belt as well.

When I took back the car, and turned on the engine, I noticed that the main radiator fan (white and plastic) kept on rotating , even from a cold start. In fact, its now always on and turning (no matter if I start the car, or drive it for a couple of minutes or hours)

I never noticed this before - I thought the radiator fan kicked in only when the engine reached a certain temperature. I'm pretty certain that before my car went in for the repair, the radiator fan remained motionless until I drove it for a couple of kilometers.

Is this a problem of the mechanic? Or is this normal?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2008, 06:51 PM

The fan on your truck is mechanical therefore it blows all the time.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:39 PM

do you have an electric fan(non stock?) or a crank driven fan clutch.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Hey Guys,

I haven't been on this forum for a long time, seeing that I was busy with school mostly.

I've gotten most of my 4Runner's problems fixed (see previous posts). However, one thing that occurred which is bothering me at this moment.

Last weekend, I noticed that my 4Runner was leaking a significant amount of coolant. I took my 4Runner to the mechanic, and he repaired it. The mechanic said he also repaired the belt as well.

When I took back the car, and turned on the engine, I noticed that the main radiator fan (white and plastic) kept on rotating , even from a cold start. In fact, its now always on and turning (no matter if I start the car, or drive it for a couple of minutes or hours)

I never noticed this before - I thought the radiator fan kicked in only when the engine reached a certain temperature. I'm pretty certain that before my car went in for the repair, the radiator fan remained motionless until I drove it for a couple of kilometers.

Is this a problem of the mechanic? Or is this normal?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
If your mechanic said he fixed the fan belt, he probly adjusted it so that the fun works correctly, it should always be on since it is belt driven, it may not spin fast at idle but it should still be spinning, before you had it fixed you probly thought it was normal to not spin at start up until it started spinning at start up and you thought that was not normal.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:06 AM

I would definitely look at the fan clutch. Just replaced one on my 02 and it made a big difference, no sense fully powering that fan all the time.