YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Quick cat converter help (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/quick-cat-converter-help-255086/)

ucw458 06-17-2012 04:04 PM

Quick cat converter help

Can anyone give me the bolt hole center to center measurement and the pipe opening measurement for the cat flanges on a 92 base pickup?

I'm getting the truck next weekend and the cat has been stolen from it. I can't afford the rediculous price of a CA approved new one. I have a 3" universal cat here and I'm planning on adapting it to fit. I would like to have all the materials ready to go when the truck arrives. I know it's not technically legal but smog techs have never looked under any of my cars. It will pass the sniffer test and that's all I'm concerned with.

abecedarian 06-17-2012 11:04 PM

Being in Cali, I suppose you already know the seller smogs the vehicle, right? If you chose to buy a "questionable" vehicle, then it's your ethics in play. If you're smogging it, the test stations will be checking that the vehicle meets regs, enacted 2 years ago. I highly doubt your aftermarket cat will pass the visual check since the laws took effect in 2010.

And what's "rediculous" about $250 for a CA legal converter? That's much cheaper than the $600+ for an OEM unit.

ucw458 06-18-2012 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian (Post 51932592)
Being in Cali, I suppose you already know the seller smogs the vehicle, right? If you chose to buy a "questionable" vehicle, then it's your ethics in play. If you're smogging it, the test stations will be checking that the vehicle meets regs, enacted 2 years ago. I highly doubt your aftermarket cat will pass the visual check since the laws took effect in 2010.

And what's "rediculous" about $250 for a CA legal converter? That's much cheaper than the $600+ for an OEM unit.

Well my grandmother is giving it to me so just a $15 title transfer and no smog needed. The truck has 73k miles and I can easily say the cat was put on before the ban and the truck has been sitting. I'll probably get at least 6 months of DD use from the truck before it gets smogged so it will look broken in.

The rediculous part is a "cali" cat is double the price the other 49 states pay for a cat. Didn't use to be that way. 4 years ago I got a universal cat for my 93 yota truck for $80.

abecedarian 06-18-2012 08:38 PM

CA DMV is not going to ask for an inspection on it if it is a family-family transfer and passed emissions tests last time it was required.

So, if it's a family gift and no smog needed, why do you need to know the flange measurements?

Oh, I get it. You want it to look like the last inspection had your converter installed so it will pass the next one, due soon.

You best be careful. Test stations have a lot of requirements to remain authorized.
If I were you, I'd be worried that the last smog test has a picture of the converter, and the next takes a picture which won't match the previous if you change it.

ucw458 06-19-2012 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian (Post 51932971)
CA DMV is not going to ask for an inspection on it if it is a family-family transfer and passed emissions tests last time it was required.

So, if it's a family gift and no smog needed, why do you need to know the flange measurements?

Oh, I get it. You want it to look like the last inspection had your converter installed so it will pass the next one, due soon.

You best be careful. Test stations have a lot of requirements to remain authorized.
If I were you, I'd be worried that the last smog test has a picture of the converter, and the next takes a picture which won't match the previous if you change it.

The cat was stolen. As in BIG hole in the exhaust system because something is missing. I'm not replacing a bad cat I'm plugging a leak.

Truck gets towed to my house next weekend. Need to fix the leak before I drive it or I will get a noise ticket. Never had a smog shop take pics of my converters. Never had any shop even look at them. All I'm asking is for someone with a similar truck to measure the pipe OD at the flange and the bolt width center to center.

rokblok 06-19-2012 06:09 PM

I would venture to say that being a base model, it would have a 22RE and probably 2" pipe. Could you cut the flanges off and just use U-bolts to tighten against existing pipe? Then the flanges would have to have flared fittings to work with your 3" cat.

Any exhaust shop could make a length of pipe and flare one end to adapt to your cat. Then you could cut it down to fit and use U-bolts to squeeze it tight onto your existing pipe and cat.