Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Question about OMEs, didnt find anything by searching

Old 06-06-2006, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about OMEs, didnt find anything by searching

Hey Guys!
I tried searching but didnt come up with an answer to my question. I have a 91 runner, which somehow or another miraculously does not sag very much in the back. I recently did notice however that my front shocks are shot, and figured i would replace all the shocks with OME because I hear nothing but good reviews, and they sound like really good quality items. I priced them out, and the response i got from the helpful trdparts4u.com guy said that the OMEs wouldn't fit stock coils, or that i could squeeze them in there but the ride would suffer. I dont really want to spend the dough to buy bigger coils, and then have to figure a way to level the front (the rakish look doesnt really fit my fancy, and cranking the stock t-bars doesnt seem to be the 'right way' to level things out to me.)
Can you guys verify for me that the OMEs will not work well w/ stock coils, or if anybody has them in there with stock coils - did you notice any ill effects in the ride? I know this sounds funny, but i really dont feel the need to lift the runner as i have never had clearance issues with the places i go.

If i have to i guess i could get the coils and get slightly larger t-bars and crank them, but ball joint spacers are more work than i am willing to put in for lift that i dont want or need in the first place.

Any info or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!!!

Last edited by tombothetominator; 06-06-2006 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:01 AM

Anybody?
Old 06-07-2006, 10:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
I use Bilstein shocks from autozone; I have over 100,000 miles on my current set. They are AWESOME!
Old 06-07-2006, 10:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When i did the OME on my second gen.

I put 1.5" OME coils and shocks in the rear and OME replacements for the stock front. (as far as i know)

The rear is a bit stiff (empty) but the front is fine IMO.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:53 PM

Thanks!

Thanks for the info guys. TNRabbit - how much were the bilsteins, and do you know how they compare as far as ride stiffness to the OMEs?

Thanks snap-on for the info.
I will probably end up just getting the OME fronts for now (since that is what is messed up on the truck right now), and do some more research on coils / T-Bars and do those along with rear shocks next month.

Thanks again guys
Old 06-07-2006, 04:31 PM

Bilsteins are about 260 a set...very expensive but worth it im ordering mine next week
Old 06-08-2006, 06:59 AM

I'm able to purchase a set of OME shocks and OME steering stabalizer from a local dealer around here for $260 shipped to my door. I don't think that's a bad price for everything and it seems to be a good price.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:09 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tombothetominator
Thanks for the info guys. TNRabbit - how much were the bilsteins, and do you know how they compare as far as ride stiffness to the OMEs?

Thanks snap-on for the info.
I will probably end up just getting the OME fronts for now (since that is what is messed up on the truck right now), and do some more research on coils / T-Bars and do those along with rear shocks next month.

Thanks again guys
$260 was what I paid for Bilsteins as well. They last forever. They are a LITTLE stiffer, but more than make up for it in ability to soak up large bumps and keep your tires planted on the road when things get rough. I've always preferred a slightly stiff, well-damped ride over a soft ride with sloppy response & rebound.

WHATEVER you do, do NOT buy those crappy 29.95 shocks (Gabriel, Monroe, etc.); they will be gone in 15,000 miles.

Last edited by TNRabbit; 06-08-2006 at 08:11 AM.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:50 AM

Did your $260 include a steering stabalizer ?
Old 06-08-2006, 11:13 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by 91ToyTrck
I'm able to purchase a set of OME shocks and OME steering stabalizer from a local dealer around here for $260 shipped to my door. I don't think that's a bad price for everything and it seems to be a good price.
Are you only talking a front set of shocks and a steering stabilizer for $260.00? Seems high to me.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:25 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by tombothetominator
Hey Guys!
I tried searching but didnt come up with an answer to my question. I have a 91 runner, which somehow or another miraculously does not sag very much in the back. I recently did notice however that my front shocks are shot, and figured i would replace all the shocks with OME because I hear nothing but good reviews, and they sound like really good quality items. I priced them out, and the response i got from the helpful trdparts4u.com guy said that the OMEs wouldn't fit stock coils, or that i could squeeze them in there but the ride would suffer. I dont really want to spend the dough to buy bigger coils, and then have to figure a way to level the front (the rakish look doesnt really fit my fancy, and cranking the stock t-bars doesnt seem to be the 'right way' to level things out to me.)
Can you guys verify for me that the OMEs will not work well w/ stock coils, or if anybody has them in there with stock coils - did you notice any ill effects in the ride? I know this sounds funny, but i really dont feel the need to lift the runner as i have never had clearance issues with the places i go.

If i have to i guess i could get the coils and get slightly larger t-bars and crank them, but ball joint spacers are more work than i am willing to put in for lift that i dont want or need in the first place.

Any info or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!!!

Like Jerald told you, you can do it but the ride will not be what you would expect from OME. Anytime you try to stuff a longer shock in without lifting you will compromise the ride quality. Think about it, you are limiting the travel of the shock. Can it be done? Of course it can and we would be happy to sell you whatever you want but from our expereience we can not recommend doing a partial setup. If you are happy with the ride height and only the front shocks are shot than just buy a new pair of Factory shocks for $26.93 each (YT price) Dealer retail $36.04 each. From what you are explaining that seems to be all you need.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:31 AM

Talking

Well, I ended up just purchasing the whole OME setup from trdparts4u, and installed it over the weekend ( Pictures ).

So far I am pretty impressed with the ride, i'm sure things will settle over the next few weeks, and hopefully the butt will sit down a little lower after it does (currently 2.5 inches above where it was) Now all i need to do is get some manual hubs, and some dang concrete to work on.

Thanks for your help guys!
Old 07-10-2006, 09:42 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Looks great.........it is like a fine wine and does get even better with time.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:29 PM

Thanks a million Phil! And tell cooksey thanks for all his help during the ordering process. Great crowd over at trdparts4u.com!
Old 07-11-2006, 03:06 AM
Contributing Member

If you installed the heavier torsion bars, you need to readjust your front suspension to compensate.

Truck looks good, BTW! Those shocks are WAY huge next to the originals!
Old 07-11-2006, 05:41 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

The T-bars are only needed if you are changing the front bumper and maybe adding a winch. Some people change them so they don't have to crank the stock one's to tight and stiffen the ride. It is up you if you want to change them but if you are not adding any weight up front I would stay with stock. The adjustment does take some time to get it just right but it will make a big difference.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:58 AM

Yeah, a bumper is in the planner within the year and a winch at some point further on, so i figured i might as well get the slightly larger bars right off the bat. I am going to go give the suspension a massage this weekend, and re-adjust the bars after that (and get an alignment). Anybody know where i can get a pair of manual mubs (either Aisin or Warn Premium) on the cheap? Thanks again guys!
Old 07-11-2006, 07:14 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

I can get you a set of Warn premium hubs for about $150 . Or you can get them from 4wheel parts. They sometimes have sales on them. Let me know how the work out this weekend goes. Take some pics..........
Old 07-11-2006, 07:16 AM
Contributing Member

I just bought a set of very nicely redone AISINs off ebay for $59.95: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT
they have more available now. In fact, he will sell you as many pairs as you want (within reason)...just ask him.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:20 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

That's a steal...........I would jump on those.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question about OMEs, didnt find anything by searching