86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Pros/Cons of Rebuilding vs. Junkyard Swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pros/Cons of Rebuilding vs. Junkyard Swap

Alright, I have a 91 Toyota Pickup SR5 4WD 3VZE. It has 250K on the truck, but the old owner CLAIMS that Toyota put a new motor in at 100K when the recalled headgasket work was done. I don't know if I believe that or not though...

I have been misfiring for the past couple of months on cylinder number 3. The truck has pretty much been running on just 5 cylinders for the past 2 or 3 months. I know I should've fixed it sooner, but I was unable to dive into such an in-depth project at the time. When I compression tested it a few months ago, I got a reading of 100 on cylinder 3 compared to 160/170 on the rest of them. I poured oil into the cylinder and retested, and got a reading of 160. So I'm pretty sure it's the rings. I also keep getting codes 25 and 26.

Any one think it might be something else?

So, I am now going to fix it since I have the time.

1) Would it be worth it to rebuild? I have done a head gasket job before, so I know how to get down to the heads. Would it be like running a new engine if I bored out the cylinders and got new pistons? I would run engnbldrs kit.

2) cost-wise, which will be more expensive? swapping in a used engine from a junkyard, or rebuilding? Of course I would have to take it to a shop to get the heads and block done, but I would be taking out the engine myself and stripping it down at my house. On average, what is the cost difference? And is it worth it risking a junkyard engine?

3) How hard is it to rebuild? I have a great knowledge of vehicles, however, I have never gotten past the block. I haven't messed with the pistons or anything, but I am a quick learner.

Thanks in advance for any replies, I am in a tight spot and I really miss my Toyota running like it used to

And no, I can't afford a 3.4 swap right now, trust me, I would do that hands down if I could afford it.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You wont like my recommendation but I would 3.4 swap over putting any money into a 3.0, which is exactly what I did.

All told it didnt cost me that much; less than rebuilding the 3.0 would have.

I bought a wrecked 97 Runner complete for $1800. Took the parts I need for the swap and sold of parts on various forums and made more than my $1800 back.

There is some cost output but that all depends on how much you want to redo and how you do it while you are in there. I made purchases such as a new battery, battery box, clutch, etc. You could easily do without these "upgrades" and use what you have.

If you are not in California then its an even easier swap. If so, then its tricky to get smogged but not impossible.

The difference in the two motors is remarkable. To me its a no-brainer, but finances dictate everything!
Old 07-10-2010, 09:10 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
funny i saw this thread. we (my son actually) have an 88 4runner with the 3vze and 248 thousand miles on it.

to answer what i think you should do ........meh...the swap.....if thats not an option then rebuild yours. i'm not sure i would take the time to pull an identical motor of a questionable history from a yard.

as silly as it sounds, i would love to "swap" in a 22re into my son's truck but i doubt that will happen considering all the extras i need to purchase.....if i had a donor vehicle, i certainly would.

as was said above, a donor vehicle likely could be parted out using what you need and selling the rest and at least breaking even.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:20 AM

IT is nice to put the 3.4 in , but if it is a junkyard motor you run the risk of having it die sooner than you think. If you rebuild existing motor then you at least know what you have in it and it will be good for a long time. And think of rebuilding the motor to be more than just the internals. If you wanted to get really into it, you do a new water pump, get fuel injectors rebuilt, new hoses, belts, new radiator. Pretty much refresh everything on the motor to ensure a problem free rig (engine wise)
Old 07-10-2010, 02:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DanStew
Pretty much refresh everything on the motor to ensure a problem free rig (engine wise)
We're talking a 3.0. I've never owned one, but I get the impression that engine is never "problem free."

Rebuild if you have to, but engine swap if you can.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:40 PM

Depends on the pwner and such, i had a 3.0 with 5 speef and it last till 230K before i sold the truck. That was an 89 pickup with original headgasket. The 3.0s do seem to be expensive and a bit involved to rebuild jsut because of the acessories. But for me if i had to repalce a motor, i would want to rebuild just for that extra sense of security, BUT sometimes a rebuild can go bad. Bottom line it is a $$ thing it seems. Good luck!!!
Old 07-10-2010, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by dntsdad
You wont like my recommendation but I would 3.4 swap over putting any money into a 3.0, which is exactly what I did.

All told it didnt cost me that much; less than rebuilding the 3.0 would have.

I bought a wrecked 97 Runner complete for $1800. Took the parts I need for the swap and sold of parts on various forums and made more than my $1800 back.

There is some cost output but that all depends on how much you want to redo and how you do it while you are in there. I made purchases such as a new battery, battery box, clutch, etc. You could easily do without these "upgrades" and use what you have.

If you are not in California then its an even easier swap. If so, then its tricky to get smogged but not impossible.

The difference in the two motors is remarkable. To me its a no-brainer, but finances dictate everything!
Where did you get your 97 runner from?

So.... I talked to the wife, and she thinks it would be best if I just did the research and then possibly did the 3.4 swap.

I'm still kind of concerned though, bc I don't want to get it in there and then have other issues which end up costing me way more in the long run. Where should I be looking to find a donor vehicle? And what type of vehicle should I find? (Year, Manual vs. Auto) I currently have a 5 speed manual trans.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:28 AM

Congrats on contemplating leaving the darkside; that's the first step!

There is a complete forum here at Yotatech on the 3.4 swap. This is the only one that I know of on the internet. There are various post here and there on other Toyota/4x4 forums but nowhere is there more information than in the 3.4 swap forum here.

I bought my Runner off a guy on Craigslist. His wife ran into one of those concrete poles that protect gas meters and such and totaled the front end. I bought that whole vehicle for $1800 which I think was a good deal. I recommend using this to help you find a donor. Its much faster than searching each individual city.

I highly recommend holding out for a complete, wrecked vehicle. Lots of guys just buy a motor, ecm, and harness not realizing that there are a lot of other parts that you are going to need to complete the swap. You will need the airbox (unless you opt to run a cone filter), the EVAP box, etc. Also, its nice to have all the little parts there that you can grab rather than getting nickled and dimed going to a parts store. It may seem like more money to buy a complete vehicle but in the long run it'll be cheaper, require less trips to Napa, and you can sell everything else off the vehicle to recoup your investment. All told, I made money on the Runner by selling parts that I wasnt using, and still have parts to sell.

My thread is at the bottom of my sig......3.4 swap in progress. There are loads of well-documented swaps in the forum. Spend a day reading everything you can. At first its overwhelming (depending on your experience level), or at least it was for me. It all starts to make sense after a while.

If you have a 5speed, I would recommend finding a 5speed wreck. However, I would not walk away from a good deal on an auto if you found one. Your current transmission will work with the 3.4. At worst you'll have to repin the connectors on the ECM and buy a manual ECM ($50-$100...I am selling one for $50 but they go up from there), and at best you can tie the neutral safety switch to make the ECM think its in neutral. Lots of guys have done this. Personally, I would look for anything 1996-2002. I think 2002 is pre drive by wire. hopefully someone can chime in and clarify that.

The whole process is quite an undertaking. If you are in California, its even harder due to nonsensical smog laws Its not a few weekends job in my opinion if you are going to do it right. I might even recommend buying a beater Civic or something to drive for a while while you find a donor, and then complete the swap. I looked EVERYDAY in a 500 mile radius of my home for one before landing the Runner I got. All told, I looked for 5 months before I found one that I could afford and it was 250 miles away. I looked at a wrecked Tacoma a month or so ago that I could have bought for $500, but I tried to lowball him and get cute and offer $300 and someone else bought it the next day. Stupid on my part! I should have paid the $500 on the spot!

Read up, and if you have questions, post in the 3.4 forum. Lots of smart, helpful guys in there.

Jason

Last edited by dntsdad; 07-11-2010 at 07:29 AM.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:33 AM

excellent post^^^^^
Old 07-11-2010, 08:17 AM

He doesnt list what motor is in it, but if its a 3.4 here is a PRIME candidate to buy depending on where you live.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f189...r5-4wd-215696/
Old 07-11-2010, 08:49 AM

PS...thanks for that search link....VERY COOL!!!!
Old 07-11-2010, 09:17 AM

Thanks for all the info, much appreciated. I'm actually in the process of reading your swap thread, and it doesn't look to bad after all. I did a 2.9 to 4.0 swap in my old 89 ranger, WITHOUT having access to a donor vehicle OR a wiring harness, so I figure this swap should be easier than that.

and thanks for the link to the truck, but I'm in CA...
I found a PERFECT donor vehicle, but i don't have 2500 dollars right now... It even has a supercharger and it's a 99 4x4 manual.

Looks like I just need to start saving up my money now.

Last edited by mcerwing; 07-11-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:31 AM

Is it wrecked? Most people think a wrecked vehicle is worthless, or close to it. Never hurts to go over and look and make an offer. I have a buddy that found a wrecked 00 taco they were asking $3100 for and he offered $1000 after "whining" about how bad it was, and it was in much worse shape than he though, etc. They called him back the next day and took the $1000

I found that most people do not have the room to store a wrecked vehicle, cant fix it, and just want it gone......which is where you come in.

Also, always try to discuss with the female of the family if possible. They normally see dollars instead of value, and are more apt to pressure hubby to sell "that worthless thing".