86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

power windows failing to work all the time

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
power windows failing to work all the time

I have a 1990 SR5 pickup. It has power windows. the drivers side window had gotten to a point where it would go down, but would not go up....except sometimes. I checked the power at the window motor, and had power in the wires going up and down....that should have ruled out the switch. I went and bought a re-built motor at Advance Auto Parts, and installed it....it worked for about 30 mins and then started doing the same thing....it would go down...but not up.....I have done all my own maintenance all my life, and consider myself mechanically inclined....but frankly this window has stumped me....any suggestions, or ideas on how to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated...Thanks in advance
Old 07-22-2011, 02:58 PM

The switches themselves can 'partially' fail, leading to intermittent issues similar to what you've described. If you can, borrow a known working switch and give it a shot. Otherwise put a multimeter across the 'up' circuit in the switch and see if you can duplicate the problem.

Last edited by BMcEL; 07-22-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I am not familiar with the 90 window switches. But in my thread on the first post it will point you to some tips on switches. Most have alot of gunk in them and just need a good cleaning.

Also, try using some Silicon spray on your tracks. If it is having a hard time going up, your tracks are dry and causing a lot of friction.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:17 PM

I don't think it's the switches...although anything is possible. I used a test light, and every time I checked it, when you pull the switch (up) it has power to the motor and every time you depress the switch (down) it has power to the motor....I just have a problem with the switch being bad....as I said anything is possible. I bought the new (re-built) window motor at Advance Auto Parts....and I don't think they take returns on electrical parts. As far as the tracks...they are fine....I usually clean them and use the white lithium grease on the regulator and silicone on the tracks....I just don't know what is wrong.....and this heat is killing me....I'm not an A/C man, although mine works very well....it just kills the gas mileage to use it any way...
Old 07-24-2011, 06:14 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Check your voltage thru your switch with a meter instead of a light and see what you get
Old 07-25-2011, 04:11 PM

Had the exact same problem with my 92. Traced it to broken wires right in the flexible tubing between the door and main body. This was several years ago, but I think I had to remove the glove box to get access to the wiring harness. It was pretty much all the flexing whenever the door opened and closed. I was able to fix by soldering the ends together.

I only had a problem with getting the window to go back up (down was okay). But while I had everything apart, I checked the resistance of the connection to go down and it was kinda high, so I checked in the same area as the other wire and cut and soldered that wire too. Should be good for a least a few more years

Cost: Just the time open everything up and trace the broken wires.

Don't know if yours is the same problem or not, just thought I'd post what happened to mine and how I fixed it.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My 90 Pickup does the exact same thing. Popped off the switch cover from the arm rest and was able to roll up the window. Right now I leave the switch cover loose so when it doesn't go up I can wiggle the wires going to the switch. The switch for the drivers window probably went because it's used more. Swap the wires and use the passenger switch as a proof of concept but in my case it looks like the switch