Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Power steering belt keeps up!

Old 01-03-2008, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power steering belt keeps up!

Any ideas as to why my power steering belt has decided to not play nice... It keeps jumping out of it's track almost like the pulleys are not lined up...

1.Maybe I put it on too tight, (and since the belt is kinked it won't ever stay in the track until I get a new belt (I'm on my second one anyway))

2.Possibly the belt is/has a manufaturing error (2 times in a row?).

My alternator/fan belt broke 2 weeks ago and I decided to replace all the belts. 2 weeks later the alternator/fan belt is fine... the ac belt is fine... but this goodyear power steering pump belt is failing, I have done nothing to the pulleys of this system but now anything over 3k RPM and the belt either slips off or turns sideways or upside down, any ideas?

86 SR5 4x4 pickup

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2008, 10:22 AM

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio - Amelia is the exact place. There is no one else on this site from where I am. Seems like everyone is from Cali or Washington. I guess I need to move.
make sure the pully grooves are aligned right. One thing to check is the power steering pump belt groove on the crankshaft pully to make sure it is still attached to the harmonic balancer. I just got my 22re rebuilt and the groove that holds the p/s was wobbling on the pully and rubbing against the oil pump reason being it is pressed on to the balancer, so check that if everything else looks sexy.

Last edited by 89whitetoyota; 01-03-2008 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:25 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have heard several people comment that for some reason, Toyotas only like Toyota belts and only use factory belts after having so many issues with aftermarket ones... maybe the V-angle is slightly different and it doesn't engage right.

One other thing - what motor? If it's a V6, it could be that your fan clutch pulley (fake waterpump) is going bad and seizing up momentarily, causing a "hop" in the belt.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:34 AM

Thanks...

I will check these ideas out... not a V6.

I assume that if the crank shaft pulley is loose all I have to do is wrench it back on... (attached to the harmonic balancer? is there a chance that when the alt belt broke it messed things up on the crank shaft pulley/harmonic balancer? I thought the only way to mess up timing/harmonic balancer mechanically (besides electrically) was when the timing chain failed, no?)

Be in touch...
Old 01-03-2008, 10:49 AM

alright... the tensioner pulley has enough play in it to maybe be the problem...

Question... the bolt that tensions the pulley is strip of it's threads at the TOP of the bolt... does the bolt thread into the brocket and then the back of the pulley wheel itself... or does that bolt just feed through the bracket and only attach to the back of the pulley wheel. I'm thinking that either way... the stripped threads at the top, whether threaded or not is enough room for the pulley to shake enough to hop the wheel... I'm getting a new bolt in a minute... and hopefully not a new pulley tensioner bracket.

Last edited by straightener; 01-03-2008 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:33 AM

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio - Amelia is the exact place. There is no one else on this site from where I am. Seems like everyone is from Cali or Washington. I guess I need to move.
The last rib on the crankshaft pulley that runs the p/s and idler pulley, is pressed over the balancer. Your balancer is most likely perfect, just start the truck and see if the last rib of the pulley closes to the oil pump wobbles at all, try moving it with you hand too. If it is loose at all, it is junk unless you want to try to weld it or something.

The tension bracket where the idler pulley is works like this....the bolt on the fron of the pulley (13mm) has to be loosened, then the bolt that goes through the back of the idler pully will spin like it is stripped but what it is doing is moving the idler pulley closer to the p/s pulley to loosen and/tighten the belt.

The forementioned idea of after market belts having a different cut to them could be valid also, I have duralast (from Auto Chevy) on mine, and it is perfectly fine.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:34 AM

Also, i have always heard no less than half and inch in deflection on the belt, or it is to loose. Does the belt have a lot of play in it when on?
Old 01-03-2008, 01:49 PM

Solution

Basic belt swap 101.

The bolt on the pulley was not cinched and that was enough. It must have been loose when I took the old belt off... I didn't even think of of retightening it... it moved maybe 1/16 of an inch in and out... and that was enough to throw the belt.

Even when I tightened the pulley axle bolt and used the new belt that had come off a few times the belt was ruined/stretched. So there ya go... 89whitetoyota you gave the correct process for loosening and then retighting the system. It's always the simple things, eh?

I haven't changed belts in about 5 years. It sucks our Toys work so well, forget how to do the easy things... thank you all for the input.

I guess I could have read the "similiar threads" too. DOH!

Last edited by straightener; 01-03-2008 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:10 PM

Hey glad i could help! I went through about 2 hours a couple weeks ago trying to figure that process out, so I had a little schooling on it.

Glad you got the problem fixed, now enjoy that Yota!