YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   possible clutch issue (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/possible-clutch-issue-307253/)

keycw 03-15-2019 09:56 AM

possible clutch issue

hey guys, 1987 runner with 22re and 256b 5sp. I recently finished installing my new marlin built w56b, new marlin 1200lb clutch with everything new. new bearings, new flywheel, even the little clips for the bearing cup. test drove it down the road, then to town, felt great. went to drive it popped out of second gear on me twice. I THINK its a clutch issue. my question is, with a new heavy duty clutch setup like this where should I adjust the clutch pedal rod to? it was catching pretty far down on the pedal, and I think with a new clutch like this is should be pretty high up right? hydraulics look good, new slave and new lines and new fluid. master is working fine. after it popped out of second I put it in first and drove it the remaining 1/8 mile into my driveway (lucky I was almost home).

akwheeler 03-15-2019 12:26 PM

Popping out of gear usually isn't a clutch issue, that would be either slipping or hard shifting.
I'm not sure what the "little clips for the bearing cup" are, but did you put in a new pilot bearing?
Check to be sure your shifter isn't contacting the floor board and maybe keeping you from shifting completely into 2nd.

keycw 03-15-2019 01:30 PM

i was just trying to give an example as to how thorough i was with the job. the clips hold the throwout bearing cup onto the shift fork. yes i replaced the pilot bearing. complete list of replaced parts includes transmission, tranny to tcase gasket, rear main, pilot, throughout, flywheel, pressure plate, clutch, all driveshaft ujoints, front cardan dust shield. i used GL5 oil to fill the transmission, i know some people will say that it will only run well with GL4, could this be the issue? i just tried to drive her again and same results. will go into 1st, take off fine, then once in second pops out after a few feet. same if i try to go from 1 to 3. it doesnt pop out of 1st. fluid levels are fine. i guess i was mistaken about the clutch issue its not a transmission issue. i serioudly doubt a marlin tranny with 8 miles on it is bad, which leads me to operator error, and the only thing ive done is fill it with fluid. any takers? i checked for the shifter clearance at the floor pan and it looks fine.

akwheeler 03-15-2019 03:13 PM

I would suggest that you contact customer support at Marlin Crawler, that sounds like an issue with the new transmission to me.
Even the best companies end up with failures on new equipment occasionally.

keycw 03-16-2019 09:02 AM

so i drained the gl5 and replaced with gl4 as per marlins instructions. i went for a few spins around the neighborhood and it seems to only pop out of 2nd. i can get into 3rd fine, and all the way up to 5th with no problems. i tried getting through to marlins help line yesterday about 25 times with no success so i have emailed them. it feels like its popping out after i let off the throttle.

keycw 03-18-2019 07:44 AM

well I spoke with marlin. basically they said its the transmission. they told me to pull it..again..and mail it back to them using the box and label for my core, which means no core refund any time soon. kinda really aggravated.

akwheeler 03-18-2019 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by keycw (Post 52420622)
well I spoke with marlin. basically they said its the transmission. they told me to pull it..again..and mail it back to them using the box and label for my core, which means no core refund any time soon. kinda really aggravated.

Yes, it's aggravating, but it keeps you from running down the rabbit hole regarding "what did I do?" or "is it the fluid, the clutch, the shifter?"
I always recommend that if you have an issue with a new engine or transmission that can't be readily explained contact the maker early in the process and see what they say.
If it is something you did wrong you probably are not the first one it has happened to and they can tell you what to check, or in your case they verified that it's inside the tranny and their responsibility.
Of course that is unless they find evidence of damage due to improper installation or abuse.
Fear not, you will have it back fairly soon and you'll be on the road before you know it.

ev13wt 03-19-2019 08:23 AM

Stuff like this is just a big hassle. You bought from Marlin, everything will (should!) turn out ok.
You could have bought some random ebay remanned transmission. Good luck in that situation with a gear popping out. ;)

keycw 04-11-2019 05:01 AM

i wanted to follow up with this post because I know a few people were curious to see results. I spoke with marlin while they had my transmission. they told me there was nothing wrong with the transmission, they also told me if it was popping out of gear the issue HAD to be internal... so I was pretty frustrated. they decided to replace most of the internals anyways and ship it back. I spend my afternoon and night reinstalling everything. im getting pretty good at it haha, I started the install at 1815 and finished at 2230, by myself with no lift id say that's good time. I drove the truck and shortly after getting out of my driveway it popped out of second again. all other gears fine. I decided to drive it for a while anyways. I only changed ONE thing after putting the tranny back in, I decided to ditch the parts store off the shelf gl4/gl5 gear oil and I ordered redline mt90. after making a few laps around my neighborhood the issue resolved itself. it shifts smoother, and does not pop out of gear anymore... I really don't know what to make of the situation. by my method of issue resolution, if I had a problem, and the only thing I changed was the fluid, im lead to believe it had something to do with it. but I also call BS on that haha. I will call marlin and tell them today. I drove the truck to work today (45 mins) with no issues. will update if the problem comes back. thanks guys.

coryc85 04-11-2019 06:07 AM

Well, redline claims that normal GL5 oils are too slippery for manual transmissions and their oil has the right coefficient of friction. I've always put plain old part store gear oil in mine, I did change to synthetic not that long ago, but never had any issues with either conventional or synthetic part store stuff. Maybe next time I'll try the redline.

ev13wt 04-11-2019 11:08 AM

Interested in hearing about the outcome of this.

keycw 04-11-2019 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by ev13wt (Post 52422080)
Interested in hearing about the outcome of this.

not really much left for me to say unless the transmission starts popping out of gear again. all I can do is drive the hell out of her and enjoy it I guess. marlin already said theres nothing they can do, and there aren't any more parts I can replace haha.

keycw 04-11-2019 11:18 AM

I even drove her to work this morning I was feeling so good about its shifting! 45 minute drive and no issues, and about 25 mins of that drive is slow and shifting through lower gears often.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.yot...2ffbe5ccdd.jpg

RASALIBRE 04-11-2019 11:18 AM

That’s the problem with part swapping, money spent and no knowledge gained.

Melrose 4r 04-11-2019 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by keycw (Post 52422083)
I even drove her to work this morning I was feeling so good about its shifting! 45 minute drive and no issues, and about 25 mins of that drive is slow and shifting through lower gears often.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.yot...2ffbe5ccdd.jpg

Great looking rig!

jakey poo 04-11-2019 01:54 PM

What he said ^^^^^

keycw 04-11-2019 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by RASALIBRE (Post 52422084)
That’s the problem with part swapping, money spent and no knowledge gained.

what parts were swapped with no knowledge gained? other than the transmission on course, but that was at Marlins request.

Paul22RE 04-11-2019 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Melrose 4r (Post 52422089)
Great looking rig!

Agreed!