YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Port work and over sized valves? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/port-work-over-sized-valves-306641/)

Cumminsguy1 01-03-2019 05:01 PM

Port work and over sized valves?

Having trouble on deciding if I should stick with "stock sized valves" or pay my machine shop $400 to port my head+ $200 to install the valves and valve springs. I'm trying to get more power out of my 22re and am thinking about 3mm valves with an aggressive cam but not sure if it's worth $600 for the amount of power I would gain. Any input?

arlindsay1992 01-04-2019 03:19 AM

Not going to tell you whether it's worth it, because I'm still waiting for my Stage 2 engine from 22RE Performance to be built and delivered. But I can say that they sell complete new heads for $800 or something like that with oversize valves, port work, and a cam.

se7enine 01-04-2019 05:41 AM

I would keep it stock. Unless you go the turbo route I don't see the point. Very little gains for $$$. At that point you should have gone 3RZ or 5VZFE.

Cumminsguy1 01-04-2019 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by se7enine (Post 52415203)
I would keep it stock. Unless you go the turbo route I don't see the point. Very little gains for $$$. At that point you should have gone 3RZ or 5VZFE.

my thoughts exactly, a lot of money for what an extra 7hp?

old87yota 01-04-2019 08:22 AM

:coffee:

Originally Posted by Cumminsguy1 (Post 52415204)
my thoughts exactly, a lot of money for what an extra 7hp?

I am sure there would be some gains, but it probably would not be a life-changing amount of power. Possibly just enough extra boost in power so you might be able to stay in a higher gear longer when going up a hill at speed. That relatively small increase in power may be worth it depending on how you want to use your truck and your power expectations. I love my 22R and don't mind the lack of power from stock, so the little extra boost may be worth it to me. The little extra power may help keeping highway speeds better. If you are used to V8 power or diesel torque, and find the 22R-E quite lacking in power (assuming you are used to a properly running 22R-E power band) than you may be disappointed.

Another thing that needs to be considered is how the stock fuel management system (the EFI system) will react to these valve / head modifications. I have no direct experience with oversize valves so I don't know if that would be an issue.

You can contact https://22reperformance.com/ and see what they say would be best for what you want to do with your truck. They work with stock valves, 1 mm oversize valves, and 3 mm oversize valves all the time and could give you realistic expectations on a 3 mm oversize valve, aggressive cam setup.

:safari:

thefishguy77 01-04-2019 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Cumminsguy1
Having trouble on deciding if I should stick with "stock sized valves" or pay my machine shop $400 to port my head+ $200 to install the valves and valve springs. I'm trying to get more power out of my 22re and am thinking about 3mm valves with an aggressive cam but not sure if it's worth $600 for the amount of power I would gain. Any input?

Porting is funny everybody is an expert yet very few know how to port a motor for different results.
Motors can be cleaned up, super mild porting mainly just removing pieces left over from the casting. Probably the best
Motors can be ported for bottom end, midrange, top end etc. When I was building 2 stroke motors I found it was best to ask the potential porter what their driving/riding style was. Most people do what I call hog porting, or taking as much material out as possible. This weakens the motor significantly. Some race port usually top end and some say they know what they are doing even though they have had to redo their personal motor every 6 months because it blows up.
Do your research and make you decision. But remember this. Porting allows more fuel and air to flow through the motor. So it only works if the complete intake and exhaust are balanced.