Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Please help...should I buy this truck?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help...should I buy this truck?

Hi everyone. I used to be the proud owner of an 88 4runner and it was the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. I recently had to part ways with my beloved truck and have been looking for a replacement first generation ever since.

I found an 86 4runner in my neck of the woods (Vermont), but I need help deciphering his ad, as I don't understand some of the work he has done on the truck. I know that I'm not supposed to list craigslist ads on here, but it's pretty easy to find by searching 1986 4runner on Vermont's craigslist (it's white, and the ad has a wall of text, kind of like this post, huh?).

Below are the main things I would like help with. I guess I'd like to know if any of these modifications are bad in the long run. Thanks!!!!

"I removed the head after doing a compression test only because of maintenance it did not have any problems. FULLY machined head resurfaced after taking 27 thousands off of it to raise the compression full race prep 6 angle valve seat job NEW valves/springs/locks/retaners/seals etc ISKY tourquer cam 292/284 gross lift @.50 degreed to crank runs extreamly smooth I used a copper TRD performance total seal headgasket set with intake exhaust covers etc HI volume lifetime water pump and double roller timing set wth oilzum chain guides not the cheap plastic ones."

"All new full motor gaskets etc I installed a new heavy duty brass/copper radiator for another runner so I installed it with the thought of towing.at the same time I installed a new clutch/pressplate bearings resurfaced the flywheel. I used a 1991 V6 5 speed tranny with closer ratios. I also installed 4;30 gears from randys ring and pinions in V6 early center 3rd members. THE REASON FOR THIS GEAR RATIO IS I INSTALLED A 6:1 GEAR TO GEAR TRANSFER CASE FROM TRAIL TOUGH IT HAS A 30% REDUCED IN HI RANGE 60% IN LOW RANGE IT IS A GEAR TO GEAR TRANSFER WITH NO CHAIN. WITH THIS GEARING CAN RUN A 33" TIRE AND IT IS LIKE RUNNING A STOCK TIRE SIZE IN HI RANGE IN LOW THE ENGINE IDELING IT WILL CRAWL AND NOT STALL. I HAVE USED A IDENTICAL TRANSFER IN A OFFROAD RIG AND NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS SO I INSTALLED ONE IN THIS ONE BUT HAS NEVER BEEN OFF ROAD.Replaced any non greasable ujoints with greasable heavy duty ones etc DID A MASSIVE AMOUNT OF WORK TO IT."

Thanks for reading my first post on YotaTech!
Old 02-06-2015, 04:42 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
let's see
- i looked on trail-tough's website, i didn't see transfer case gears for a Toyota (they only list 14 parts for toyota) they have t/c gears for a Suzuki samurai
- to the best of my knowledge you can't bolt up a V-6 transmission to a 4 Cyl 22r series engine

- it may be been hammered on as an old plow truck. when i lived in upstate new york and alaska brand new plow trucks became beat to crap trucks in a short time

- 4.88 differential gears are generally the preferred gear ratio for 33" tires. this truck came stock with 4.10 gears. going to 4.30's was not a big benefit IMO.

- he did all this extensive work in 2001- 14 years ago, big deal.

I am sure trucks are like hen's teeth on the east coast. i would take this thing to a good mechanic and have it gone over with a very fine tooth comb. seems overpriced in my opinion and some of the stuff he mentions in his ad is very questionable
Old 02-06-2015, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks so much for your help, Robb. I didn't think a V6 transmission sounded right for a 4 cyl engine. And I didn't even think about the truck potentially being a beater since it was used for plowing. I guess I'll keep looking.

Thanks for taking the time to save me from making a poor decision!
Old 02-06-2015, 05:04 PM

Received 598 Likes on 438 Posts
Is'nt it possible to use the V6 type R tranny if a turbo bell housing is fitted??
Old 02-06-2015, 05:10 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Depending on what shop you talk to they recommend taking no more that 15-20 thousandths off. You start to mess with the can timing. This can cause the truck to run hot and go through head gaskets. 27 thousandths?. Seems an awful random number to use for raising compression. New complete head can be had around $500 delivered. So just in case. I guess since back east rigs are notorious for rust if its fairly clean then a motor might be a sacrifice worth making. Its all up to you. Does the owner say how much compression it has. 160 wish is stock. These motors build power in the head not necessarily from compression. Cam, valves, porting, injectors. Then the right exhaust (not to big, back pressure is important). And lastly an intake. Just my opinion. Not saying its right just one train of thought
Old 02-06-2015, 07:10 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by millball
Is'nt it possible to use the V6 type R tranny if a turbo bell housing is fitted??
it might be but why do that when an R151 bellhousing is probably worth a few $$, like I said not sure if it was possible. the V-6 chain drive t/c would be a down grade..
Old 02-06-2015, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
It might be top notch work but who can tell. I personally don't like it just from reading the ad. I would want one untouched and that will be hard to find. Even then be prepared to spend some money on it. These are 20 plus year old trucks and wont be as dependable as you remember. You can get it there but it will take time and money.

In Vermont I am sure you are going to have a tough time finding one. If I wanted a solid truck without rust issues, I would pay the extra to get one from the south and west part of the country. A few repair trips to the shop will easily cover any shipping cost that you could run into.

Age and previous owners are taking its toll on these trucks. I would rather over pay for a nice truck then get a deal on a run of the mill truck if you are unable to do the work yourself. I have worked on some supposedly "nice trucks" and I have yet to see one that has been an all out great truck. Not trying to sound like I am bashing these trucks but I have worked on quite a few of them and there are issues on them that gets overlooked.

Last edited by Terrys87; 02-06-2015 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:21 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I would also pass on this one just from how the add is written .

All this work done back in 2001 pretty much needs redone if it was used or sitting all these years.

I know things can be rough on vehicles up there but maybe time to think about moving to a newer Toyota 4x4

Now if you are buying this looking at a project the first gens can take quite a bit of money and time if your paying someone it is not really worth it at least to me.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:02 PM

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
As you have already decided, dont get this rig!
Old 02-08-2015, 05:22 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Whatever you do check the frame for rust. Dang salted roads.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:21 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Dam salted roads is right. Best bet it to look for one in CT MA NJ PA stuff like that and take a day drive to go get it. Either that or find some one who just drove one up from the south or something. I brows the VT CL all the time for toyota stuff. I found and sold my 87 on there. Just be patient and wait for the one with the least rust.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You've just got Toyota fever. It's when you want a Toyota so bad you start trying to talk yourself into whatever you find. I have had it lol. You should see the things ive said "man I need this crap in my life" to

If you're looking at a long term investment in a Toyota that you LOVE then head further south. I don't know how far is too far for you but believe me the salty roads do end.