YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   please help..my truck wont start EVERYMORNING (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/please-help-my-truck-wont-start-everymorning-151727/)

bigt 08-15-2008 10:41 PM

you dont think i was on to anything having a truck that started then i shut it off misted the distib and wires with water.. then i wouldnt start just like in the mornings...then i dried it out with a portable heater and she fired up... and the rotor is cutting a groove in the cap.

Kiroshu 08-15-2008 10:50 PM

Nah that does not seem likely. Just check your fuel. I would get the fuel filter and un hook the input gas line from the tank and take it off the pump. Have someone turn the key to on or even crank it a tad. If there is not fuel pooring out that line then your fuel pumps gone.

bigt 08-15-2008 10:51 PM

but the truck runs great when started..no sputtering no delay in accel..its 3 am so soon as it get light out ill have atr again but im gonna get a new rotor and cap because it shouldnt be cutting a grove in my cap

Kiroshu 08-15-2008 10:53 PM

Oh so it does start? The pump might be "going out" but hmm. Filter or injectors. Does it rumble or idle irradically when started?

bigt 08-15-2008 10:55 PM

it does run rough because its flooded when i do get it started.. but then it runs great.... its a weak or no spark issue.. but i will try jumping the fuel pump when it doesnt start and try starting it....

neeed to get my daily driver relible... or ill be looking for a new one

Kiroshu 08-15-2008 10:59 PM

Whats the miles on it? has it had a tune-up recently? I'm pretty sure from what your tellin me its not timing. Change your fuel filter it prolly needs it IF ITS EVER EVEN BEEN CHANGED!!! They run better on clean fuel filters. Sometimes at least. You can't really flood an EFI very easily it would take like a 100 cranks with the injectors pumping so your not fooding it i don't think. It sould like ttty fuel pressure or filter.

bigt 08-15-2008 11:10 PM

well the guy i got the truck from about 2 years ago had a engine out in i dont know the milage of it but about 230 on the body.. i have a fuel filter int eh garage .. i know i get gas coming out the cold start if i disconnnect it..

dam cant sleep must diagnose yotas!

Kiroshu 08-15-2008 11:29 PM

All the air intake hoses are good? Not loose cracked broke holes in them? Dirty Air filter? Any vaccum leaks? Does it have a low idle speed? whats the idle?

bigt 08-15-2008 11:34 PM

dunno have to wait till morning.. idles around 800 i would say.. i have a running trail rig to swap parts.
and a 22r to take parts from.. but i got a feeling a crackede or warped rotor is causing a weak spark and when its damp just not enough spark to kick over.... i fixed the starter pronlem.. but as i look over this truck more and more im not liking this way the stuff was put together as much as my factory toyota... only 1 bolt was in teh starter so after i would sart it once or twice it would get hot and jam...

this is why i really dont liking taking my truck to a mechanic...but this one is really buggin me..

can i swap out an older ignitor with the coil and stuff all on the one unit... the wire colors are the same but the connnecters are different.... i have a brand new toyota one from my old 1987 4runner that i never used.

Kiroshu 08-15-2008 11:40 PM

You sould be able to swap it. Although te 80's coils are differnt from the 90's it might work if it starts up then you know it works or if it gives spark. Put a scewdriver in the spark plug wires DON'T TOUCH THE METAL IN THE SCREW DRIVER but hold the metal part of the screw driver close to metal and have someone crank it. If you see a yellow arch then you got fire. Try that coil and fuel filter. Get a new distributor cap and rotor button too.

bigt 08-15-2008 11:45 PM

see i replaced the fuel line with rubber right up too about the fuel filter... but its look like it might be rusted on there and i dont want to crack it... i have two flare nut wrenches but its a bia to get at on the 22re... my hand was pretty cut up from the starter And the fuel filter is above it!:con: :dunno: :camp: :cry2:

bigt 08-16-2008 08:42 AM

ok guys new rotor and cap still wouldnt start..
then jumped the fuel pump and she goes!!

need to wait till tommorow morning for the real test

bigt 08-16-2008 07:39 PM

BUMP took the truck around the block soon as it warmed up it stutters and misses!!!! whats going on is the fuel pump dead??

to get it started today i jumped the fuel pump but it was already warm out.. i was gonna try it tommorow but with this sputtering i think something else if going!!!!!

might be time to donate all these parts to the trail lol. :(

Overload2020 08-25-2008 05:25 PM

this happen to me once, a wire from your starter is lose or not making a good connection, one day driving home at night i must have hit a pot hole or something but the next day all i heard was clicking, sat in my drive way for a week till i found out it was the connector. if you look under the truck it should be in viewing range...

Overload2020 08-25-2008 05:26 PM

if you want to sell the truck let me know...

bigt 08-25-2008 06:09 PM

might be selling it actually !! but its not the starter i took it out tested it and put it back!!!

where you at?

fireman1559 08-25-2008 06:38 PM

now my truck had a problem u might want to check i had wires from my iginitor lose in the connector like i could pull them out then it died on me it wouldnt start the starter was trying but no spark so u might want to check that just my two cents i could be wrong thou

bigt 08-25-2008 06:48 PM

i changed the wires and i get spark...

chrisbnaz 08-25-2008 08:08 PM

I had the same problem when I got my runner.

I replaced the starter, the battery cables, cleaned the ignition switch etc..It still did the clicking..Click on the link that was posted earlier in the thread.

Run a relay between your battery and starter solenoid. I promise you this will fix the problem. My truck was doing the same exact crap, not it fires up on the first crank everytime. The starter solenoid isn't getting enough juice to start the motor..The clicking you hear is the starter relay, the relay still works but since the the power comes from the ignition switch it's not getting enough power to crank it over.

bigt 08-26-2008 04:14 AM

would this cause it to die on me while driving?