Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Please Help me Diagnose My Problems i have a You Tube Video to Help

Old 05-03-2008, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Please Help me Diagnose My Problems i have a You Tube Video to Help

hi

i have posted a youtube video 2 show my multiple problems i dont know how to fix
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uedpjdWdYmc

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uedpjdWdYmc[/YOUTUBE]

i dont know what 2 hoses are used for and trying to stop an oil leak

you will see my problems by watching my you tube video

thanks

also feel free to check out my other you tube videos

please reply with help

thanks
Old 05-03-2008, 11:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No, don't connect that rubber hose to the metal pipe! The metal pipe is the drain for the AC. The rubber hose looks like the drain for the charcoal canister (evap can), normally that hose is pushed into a hole in the frame. Both are meant to be open to drain fluids.

The round thing next to the oil filter is the oil cooler.

The leak could be from a rear main engine seal, or maybe the oil is leaking from in front of that somewhere and blowing back as you drive. Hard to say.

Last edited by mt_goat; 05-03-2008 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:42 AM

thanks for the reply

now what about that hose hooked up to the engine (maybe a vacuum hose) if that is leaking or bringing air in the engine what will that cause my engine to do

for that oil leak i was thinking about buying lucas oil stop leak stuff
Old 05-03-2008, 12:03 PM

The hose that is hanging down kind of on the drivers side looks like the overflow hose from the coolant reservoir. If you look down the side of the reservoir there is a hose that just hangs down low.

The diagnostic port is supposed to be full of that "goop". I think it is a non conductive grease to stop corrosion and rust on the connectors.

Jason
Old 05-03-2008, 12:14 PM

If you have an air leak than you truck will run rough, and will be idling too low, as for the dripping, its most likely a gasket, if its ahead gasket do it your self, it saves money and time, it should only take 30 minutes. The hanging hose you should definetaly find out where it goes, if there is only one possible hose hole that it could go to, well then common sense tells you thats where it goes. feel the inside of the hose for residue, if there is oil than it connects inside the engine and should be easy to find, if there is no residue than it is an air hose or gas hose, however it cant be a gas hose because then your car would not run, it does run right?
Old 05-03-2008, 12:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i think the tube on the bottom is the drain for your rad..
also the gunk should be there and the oil is it leaking alot or just a little??
i like your video and your pretty good with the computer you shouldnt have a problem posting videos and getting help its a good way of doing it!

what are the prblems are you rying to fix..

some of these might just be from when you filled your fluids? have you waqshed everything and are starting fresh?

Last edited by bigt; 05-03-2008 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:21 PM
Contributing Member

Old 05-04-2008, 07:46 AM
Contributing Member

On the possible vac leaks, you can take a can of carb cleaner or something like that and while the engine is idling, spray near the vac line. If the idle changes then there is a vac leak.

The oil leak could also be something more simple like a valve cover gasket. Try to get a look at the back side of the engine (hint use a small flash light) and look for oil up higher. Generally you can't tell alot by looking at the drip point, you need to follow the "wet' trail up to the source. Are you sure its oil and not ATF? It looked pretty black so it probably was engine oil. Might try changing your oil if it is black like that.

Yeah the diagnostic plug is suppost to have that grease in there.

Good idea on the video. That's good your under there checking stuff out. Lots of times you can spot small things early before they leave you stranded on the side of the road in the middle of no where.

Last edited by mt_goat; 05-04-2008 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The first hose you pointed to does not seem to exist on my truck;
Name:  Img_8940.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  16.5 KB

My truck;
Name:  Img_8942.jpg
Views: 1113
Size:  79.7 KB
The yellow arrows point to the two vacuum lines that go down to the Power Steering "Idle Up" switch. The Red arrow points to the hose that does an immediate 180° and goes to the PCV valve on the RHS valve cover.

The second hose you pointed too;
Name:  Img_8941.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  12.5 KB
...appears to be the vent for the heater box. It is normally tucked into a frame hole, but leaving it down is better since it will not channel water into your frame this way.

The third issue you are addressing, the oil leak, is quite normal for the 3VZE engine. 80% says it's the rear main seal. They weep... that's it. Removal of the transmission is required to change it. The dealership I worked for charged 6-7 hours for that $5 seal. Not sure if it's worth it to you. Also, if it's out and you're a 5spd, I'd recommend resurfacing the flywheel and replacing your clutch since you're paying for the labour anyway.

Next victim;

Transmission governor valve. It is quite normal to see a bit of fluid on them. I wipe it off every 6 months or so... never had a problem. And it's not just your truck - GM's and Fords ALWAYS have leaky governors

Your coolant leak is likely a radiator issue. Both of mine (91 & 95) need to be soldered or replaced. A quality aluminum part would be awsome, but a direct fit replacement from NAPA or whoever would likely be fine too.

Your video made this SOO much easier to diagnose. My truck was right outside and I could just look at it and see what's up.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hey NOTLZ where in ontario are you at!!!

nice way of taking pics screen shots of the the video for diagnose
Old 05-04-2008, 12:38 PM

Hey bigt,
I'm about an hour from you in Burlington. 310S Licenced AST (Class A), work for Canadian Tire but spent 2 years and achieved Pro level at Toyota before jumping ship (politics!).

If you're in the area, PM me and we'll grab a Tims.
-Eric
Old 05-04-2008, 02:48 PM

Noltz thank you for your time and help

ya if i have to pull the trans im not gonna replace this seal which sucks

im still thinking about putting lucas oil stop in swell the seals

but i heard its not that good for the car

Any one know where the washer fluid comes out im tring to fix that (basically i need a diagram to see where it runs

thanks

Matt
Old 05-04-2008, 10:24 PM

PM me tomorrow. I'll try to remember to grab a few photos, or at least sketch it overtop an existing one .
Old 05-04-2008, 10:38 PM

If that vacuum line runs down to the power steering pump, it's the idle up for the pump. So the engine RPM will go up when the pump is working hard. I broke the sensor on the back of the pump on mine, so I just capped the nipples on the engine and removed the hoses. Less clutter and I have not noticed a difference.

The other thing it could be is the idle up for the AC system. Same idea. AC turns on, RPM goes up. I would not cap those. Just pick up new lines at any auto part store.

And that round thing on the side of the engine is the oil cooler. It swaps places with the oil filter on the 2WD models.

And mine leaks oil too. It's not the rear seal or the valve cover gaskets. It's got me stumped.