Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

PArtially Working Gauge Cluster, can't figure it out.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PArtially Working Gauge Cluster, can't figure it out.

So as the title says i have a partially working gauge cluster and i cant figure it out.
I have the base gauge cluster; speedo, fuel, and engine temp complete with idiot lights.
Now the fuel gauge and the idiot lights work(well all of them which i have left bulbs in..). But the speedo/odo and temp gauges don't work.
I started trouble shooting assuming loose connections.
  • Removed and re-installed gauge cluster checking all connections. No change.
  • Unplugged and cleaned vss connection. No change.
  • Put the check engine light bulb back in and pulled the codes hoping for vss issue. Only code was a #25: running lean... No help.
  • Right now i am trying to find the temp gauge sensor to check it.
My thinking is if i can eliminate sensor issues then i will be able to tell if its the gauge cluster. Now you might be thinking thats backward; replace the cluster and be able to tell if its sensors. Well that would be smarter but i do not have access to a dash cluster but i can get new sensors locally. The only dash clusters i can find are from $80-120 shipped and while i want an SR5 one i don't know i can afford that right now especially if it wont fix the problem.
So i am looking for suggestions for how to test the sensors and or dash cluster to determine their functionality.
Thanks,
Speed
Old 06-15-2013, 08:21 AM

Well i think i have found the sensor:
Name:  IMG_0225_zpsa4fb319b.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  48.0 KB
Is this them? I am slightly dubious as i read that the gauge sensor would only have one wire but these both have two.

Also i read that it might be a ground issue that is keeping my gauges from working. If so which ground would it be? I don't really want to take my dash off again just to look around but i will if i have too.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:38 AM

The guage sender is right below the coldstart injector, those aren't it.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by ddv1126
The gauge sender is right below the cold-start injector, those aren't it.
Thanks. I'm afraid i dont know what the coldstart injector is or where it is located. But thanks for the info, i will look it up when i get done with lunch.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:24 AM

Is it to the left of the oil filter? There is a single wire plug that enters the block about 4 inches to the left of the oil filter.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:35 AM

Or this?
Name:  IMG_0235_zpsdd57d9c5.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  30.5 KB

That looks a little more like it. And if i read correctly i can test that by touching it to a 9v battery? Is that right?

EDIT: It could be a ground issue too.
Name:  IMG_0242_zpsf6b34d8f.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  65.5 KB
Looks like my battery ground is not grounded.

Last edited by SpeedCrazy; 06-15-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:36 AM

The sensor is right above the thermostat housing towards the firewall. It has a single spade wire attached to it.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:37 AM

Search for temp guage sender and you'll see plenty of pics.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by ddv1126
Search for temp gauge sender and you'll see plenty of pics.
I have done plenty of google searches. I get a variety of results to those searches. Hence now that i've found what i believe to be it, see above post, i am asking for confirmation before i remove it.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:54 AM

Your cold start injector is in the middle pic above.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:56 AM

Run a ground wire to the wire connected to the sender. Your temp guage on the inside will jump to the red if its working properly, I just got done testing mine.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:42 PM

Okay. Thats what i needed to know thanks. I found it. And i think i found my problem.
The vss, oil pressure and engine temp sensors are all on the same harness right?
Well i followed the harness right from the vss to the end, hooked up to the oil pressure, then engine temp sensors, then ended loose tucked between my ac and the block.
I'm thinking that might be the root of all my gauge cluster problems eh? Problem is i can figure out where it out to plug in. The only other loose cable in that area had an identical female socket on the end.(that one comes from the headlight harness and runs back to the fuse/relay/diagnostic box behind the battery)
Pics will be up in a sec just need to remove some others from my photobucket.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by SpeedCrazy
Or this?

That looks a little more like it. And if i read correctly i can test that by touching it to a 9v battery? Is that right?

EDIT: It could be a ground issue too.

Looks like my battery ground is not grounded.
the wire to the left of your oil filter is your oil sensor... im hoping you replaced it before you installed the cluster because if you didnt then you fried the oil guage... now you say you speed and tach dont work as well as temp correct?? just trying to verivy what your refering to. what engine are you working with as well.. i did my cluster swap last week and went easy as pie... let me know if I can help
Old 06-15-2013, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Scrussanation
the wire to the left of your oil filter is your oil sensor... im hoping you replaced it before you installed the cluster because if you didnt then you fried the oil guage... now you say you speed and tach dont work as well as temp correct?? just trying to verivy what your refering to. what engine are you working with as well.. i did my cluster swap last week and went easy as pie... let me know if I can help
I have not done the cluster swap, i have the stock cluster and the speedo and engine temp do not work. I have a 22re.

Here is the loose end i referred to in my last post.
Name:  IMG_0245_zps91e07edc.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  43.0 KB
And here is the harness that it is on.
Name:  IMG_0246_zps87e1d8f1.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  48.6 KB
Could this be what is causing the issue? I cannot find where this ought to plug in. The only other loose connector i can see is this:
Name:  IMG_0229_zps03a8b626.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  48.0 KB
Which as i said runs from the fuse/relay box with the headlights.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:05 PM

I have not done the cluster swap, i have the stock cluster and the speedo and engine temp do not work. I have a 22re.

Could this be what is causing the issue? I cannot find where this ought to plug in. The only other loose connector i can see is this:

No. Thats actually nothing to do with your truck if its a v6. From factory they include other engines wires as well as some other ones so they dont have so many parts flying around. I have same one and it just sits there. You have a v6 3vze maybe?

Last edited by Scrussanation; 06-15-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:08 PM

Honestly i would replace oil sensor first, once u have the actual oil sensor thareads pressure and not the dummy light then install it. Or just leave it unhooked. Once you have the new cluster on i would start testing for problems. It may very well just be your cluster. And you probably h are then just that plug hanging out that looks like should go to somethin. I have maybe two or three thats not used on mine i cant remember

Last edited by Scrussanation; 06-15-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:47 PM

No. Thats actually nothing to do with your truck if its a v6. From factory they include other engines wires as well as some other ones so they dont have so many parts flying around. I have same one and it just sits there. You have a v6 3vze maybe?
Dude, i don't mean to be rude. But please READ THE THREAD BEFORE YOU POST!
I have a 22RE that is a 4-cyl! Not a V6.
There is no point in replacing the oil sensor to see if that fixes anything because at this point it is not hooked up, even the fanciest oil pressure sender you could come up with would not work if its not plugged in.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:56 PM

Dude, i don't mean to be rude. But please READ THE THREAD BEFORE YOU POST!
I have a 22RE that is a 4-cyl! Not a V6.
There is no point in replacing the oil sensor to see if that fixes anything because at this point it is not hooked up, even the fanciest oil pressure sender you could come up with would not work if its not plugged in.
Not tryin to be rude either but not once do u sa22re in your post or topic. Only in your signature which means nothing being that some people do have more thone vehicle. I was just statin a fact about the oil sensor but regardless i was simply tryin give a heads up. thx for tryin not to be an ass about a pointless remark when basically was stating my scenario. I know what leavin a oil sensor unplugged does. But you problem has nothin to do with it so why is it you mistake a oil sensor for coolant sensor. Just trying to help but trust me i wont bother any longer
Old 06-15-2013, 02:00 PM

Not tryin to be rude either but not once do u sa22re in your post or topic. Only in your signature which means nothing being that some people do have more thone vehicle. I was just statin a fact about the oil sensor but regardless i was simply tryin give a heads up. thx for tryin not to be an ass about a pointless remark when basically was stating my scenario. I know what leavin a oil sensor unplugged does. But you problem has nothin to do with it so why is it you mistake a oil sensor for coolant sensor. Just trying to help but trust me i wont bother any longer
I gave you the engine spec in response to your first post...
I'm not sure what you mean about mistaking one sensor for another? The whole point was i didn't know which was which.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:16 PM

I gave you the engine spec in response to your first post...
I'm not sure what you mean about mistaking one sensor for another? The whole point was i didn't know which was which.
Sorry didnt quit see that. My fault will admit that. You have 22re correct so im assuming your needing wiring diagrahmof the way yours is laid out. Do u have any manuals? I have the 22re fsm link somewhere

Quick Reply: PArtially Working Gauge Cluster, can't figure it out.