Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Painting entire vehicle with bed liner...help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painting entire vehicle with bed liner...help.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section (I did a quick search but yielding nothing), but I plan on painting my 1993 4Runner with bed liner this spring. So, naturally, I have a couple questions.

First, which is the best liner to use to achieve the smoothest surface possible? I was thinking of using Raptor because it seems like it finishes pretty smooth with a nice matte look.

And second, does this method affect the temperature of the engine? Will it run hotter? Should I consider a cold-air intake? Any help/advice/guidance would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-06-2012, 08:04 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Smoothest bedliner is probably going to be rattlecan bedliner by rustoleum or duplicolor. It looks pretty good imo - there's a pic online somewhere of a VW golf coated in it and looks great. Personally I wouldn't put roll-on bedliner on the exterior because of the uneven application unless you do like 3-4 coats which will be very thick and look bad. Otherwise, something like lineX would be best, but not cheap.

I would go with the rattlecan because I'm familiar with it already and it can easily be touched up whereas the others aren't so easy. I don't think engine temps will be affected by the extra thickness of coating, but more from the color absorbing sun light and even then not by much, especially when moving.