86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Painting 1st gen 4Runner top

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 05:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Painting 1st gen 4Runner top

I search and really did not come up with much. I plan on painting my top this weekend. Its black but has faded and chipped. I plan on just cleaning with some mineral spirit and water. Then prime then paint. What do you guys think the best paint would be that i can get in a spray can unless there is a cheaper and better way.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Get yourself a cheap spray gun and do it that way, it will come out 100X better. As far as paint goes i think Napa sells auto paint. Just get whichever color you want. Be sure to make it the right mixture of mineral spirits and paint when you do it though.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I would clean it with lacquer thinner. Mineral spirits is oily and will leave a residue and cause the paint to fish eye. All the tops are white fiberglass, if another color, it has a thin gel coat of fiberglass on it from the factory which is a little duller than the paint. You can get an additive to lower the gloss so it will look factory.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been looking at painting my top too, how much did you spend on your sprayer swimmerboy?
I don't want something really expensive, but I don't want to buy junk either
Old 10-04-2010, 06:53 PM

I used two cans of black rocker guard type paint. $12 total. Looks perfect to me.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:54 PM

Rustoleum! Seriously. It's much cheaper than auto paint, and probably more durable. There's a few good tutorials on instructables.com

You can either roll on or use a spray gun. Either way you definitely want to thin the paint first. I did the roll on with rustoleum for my truck canopy, turned out fantastic! If I ever have time to paint the whole truck I will absolutely do it the same way.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:58 PM

I have a lot of rustoleum in spray form, I've almost done it that way I was just not sure if it would turn out well. I have painted my front bumper with it and it looks good, but that's a smaller area
Old 10-04-2010, 07:01 PM

It will turn out great on the larger surface too.... just remember it's all about the prep work. If you cut any corners on the prep work, any flaws will be amplified in the finished product.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:57 AM

how would you go about rolling it on? seems like it would be hard to get the corners. No i have used rustoleum gloss black i defiantly don't want the top to look like that. I dont want a flat that will turn to chalk ether.I do have a huskey gun that cam with my air compressor no sure how good it is and never used it. AM thinking use the gun kinda been wanting to try it out now just need to find a 3 things
1)i have decided if am going to use a gun should go ahead and prep right. What sand paper should i use.
2) What primer to use
3)What paint to use and what to mix it with and how much

Thanks a lot guy getting fast reply that helping .I will make sure to post some pics during the process for you
Old 10-05-2010, 06:23 AM

why not do a roll on bed liner? or dupli-color spray on bed liner. this guy did his like that. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...40/index3.html
Old 10-05-2010, 06:54 AM

87Runner, I would use a spray can unless you want to make it a fun project then try out your spray gun. I'm about to paint my top black also and after using my spray gun to paint my truck last month it doesn't seem worth the time or effort to spray it some kind of flat or satin finish. I'm going to use the rustoleum camo flat black straight of the can. If you are going to use the spray gun when you go to the paint store to get materials they give you data sheets on how to mix everything. I think the primer is 4:1 ratio. These are the steps I would take if I were you for your prep.

1.) sand with 220 grit ( you can sand with something more aggressive but finish with 220)
2.) fill any holes (If you want to) then resand and finish with 220
4.) wipe clean
3.) prime (what ever kind you want. The paint store will give you some decent stuff)
4.) dry or wet sand 600 grit (what ever your sand paper likes best)
5.) wipe clean
6.) paint

And don't paint in the sun on a hot surface.

Last edited by richf; 10-05-2010 at 06:56 AM.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:08 AM

thanks for the info man i guess my main concern with the can is it will leave streaks. But i will start sanding tomorrow with 220 thanks aging
Old 10-05-2010, 07:17 AM

Here are the instructable links that I referenced. I used a small edge trim roller when I did my canopy.

http://www.instructables.com/id/The-...-paint-your-c/

http://www.instructables.com/id/Pain...ith-Rustoleum/

Good luck! Post pictures of your progress.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by My87Runner
thanks for the info man i guess my main concern with the can is it will leave streaks. But i will start sanding tomorrow with 220 thanks aging
I don't want to sound like a dick but it's not the paints fault its the person would sprayed it and the conditions it was sprayed in. Flat paint out of a can is a hell of a lot more forgiving than a gloss paint. With a flat paint if you give it even light coats you should be fine or if you give it 2 heavy coats and follow the wet edge you should be fine. The gloss paint out of a can is hard to master but it can be done.

Follow the steps and take your time it will come out looking great.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:29 AM

am kinda a newbie but i want the paint like factory in shine. When you say flat are you talking
like this

i have seen people do this to there cars looks good for a week or two then turns into chalk.

or is this considered flat
Old 10-05-2010, 07:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by richf
87Runner, I would use a spray can unless you want to make it a fun project then try out your spray gun. I'm about to paint my top black also and after using my spray gun to paint my truck last month it doesn't seem worth the time or effort to spray it some kind of flat or satin finish. I'm going to use the rustoleum camo flat black straight of the can. If you are going to use the spray gun when you go to the paint store to get materials they give you data sheets on how to mix everything. I think the primer is 4:1 ratio. These are the steps I would take if I were you for your prep.

1.) sand with 220 grit ( you can sand with something more aggressive but finish with 220)
2.) fill any holes (If you want to) then resand and finish with 220
4.) wipe clean
3.) prime (what ever kind you want. The paint store will give you some decent stuff)
4.) dry or wet sand 600 grit (what ever your sand paper likes best)
5.) wipe clean
6.) paint

And don't paint in the sun on a hot surface.

I'd like to add a few things too.

-Dont forget to wet the area your painting to keep the dust down
-Wetsand it will come out better
-They make sticky wipes to remove ALL dust and dirt after you're done sanding i suggest you use those they work really well.
-Make sure there is absolutely NO water on the shell at all even a drop could really mess things up.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:35 AM

I would say the first one is a primer and will look like ˟˟˟˟ after the rain and sun get to it, the second one looks like a satin or semi-gloss. Which one are you trying to achieve? Google image the different finishes that should help you pick something out.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112
I'd like to add a few things too.

-Dont forget to wet the area your painting to keep the dust down
-Wetsand it will come out better
-They make sticky wipes to remove ALL dust and dirt after you're done sanding i suggest you use those they work really well.
-Make sure there is absolutely NO water on the shell at all even a drop could really mess things up.
Good call. The sticky wipes are called tack cloths and you can get them for like 2 bucks at the auto parts store.

I just sprayed two areas on my top to show you flat and satin black. Give me like 10 minutes for the surface to dry and I'll take a picture.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:16 AM

This is duplicolor bed liner I sprayed a couple months ago
Name:  100_0465.jpg
Views: 2333
Size:  63.6 KB
This is Krylon Fusion satin black I just sprayed
Name:  100_0469.jpg
Views: 2125
Size:  54.3 KB
And this is Krylon Fusion satin black vs. Rustoleum camo flat black
Name:  100_0468.jpg
Views: 5570
Size:  60.0 KB
Name:  100_0470.jpg
Views: 6986
Size:  48.2 KB
Old 10-05-2010, 09:02 AM

wow man could not ask for a better reply lol thanks alot. Am thinking the Krylon Fusion satin black is the winner for me.Here is my new plan
1) sand with 220 sand paper
2) Clean and wipe with the cloths
3)prime with two or three coats.
4)wetsand with 600 grit
5)Wait for it to dry then hit it with some Krylon Fusion satin black thinking 3 coats or so.
Thank you richf and Swimmerboy2112 helped me out a lot might start sanding tomorrow any other info would help alot or any thing i should add or do different in the list above
The following users liked this post:
Cole1985 (05-02-2021)

Quick Reply: Painting 1st gen 4Runner top