YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   painted interior? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/painted-interior-194015/)

DupermanDave 10-13-2009 11:42 AM

painted interior?

Have any of you painted the interior of your trucks or 4runners? I'm thinking about doing it to clean up the over spray specks form the bedliner I put in the cab.

Anyone got any pics of the final outcome? What material is used on the door panels? (vinyl?)

Skoalbandit 10-13-2009 11:45 AM

i've tried a few different spraypaints i had kicking around, and none of them stick well, they run like crazy on the vinyl door panels and any vertical interior pieces. try the plastikote stuff that's available. i haven't tried that yet, it's a few bucks a can. give that a shot though. it's all about prep work...

Monochrome 10-13-2009 11:47 AM

Read this thread by DeathCougar, it's very helpful.

DupermanDave 10-13-2009 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Skoalbandit (Post 51251715)
i've tried a few different spraypaints i had kicking around, and none of them stick well, they run like crazy on the vinyl door panels and any vertical interior pieces. try the plastikote stuff that's available. i haven't tried that yet, it's a few bucks a can. give that a shot though. it's all about prep work...

I know there' special paints for vinyl. Especially spraypaints. Is plastikote for vinyl?

dropzone 10-13-2009 11:58 AM

look for a spray vinyl dye. I have used it several times on V-dubs. Plasti-kote vinyl Color seems to work good.

TORTIS 10-13-2009 12:35 PM

They just did that on "Speed Block" this weekend. Can't remeber if it was "Trucks, or 2 Guy's Garage" Special stuff for vinyl.

Post up when your done.

DupermanDave 10-13-2009 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by tortis (Post 51251764)
They just did that on "Speed Block" this weekend. Can't remeber if it was "Trucks, or 2 Guy's Garage" Special stuff for vinyl.

Post up when your done.

I think I will post a pics guide. I'll get the driver's door off first and paint that, and when it's done I'll do pics of the passenger side. I won't be doing it now because it's too cold for any paint to work well. I'm in Colorado and we're already hitting record low temperatures. But I'll do it at my next best chance.

jtcessna 10-13-2009 01:27 PM

When you wanna paint any plastics you have to rub them with steel wool and then spray paint them, my buddy painted his interior tan and it wouldnt stick so i told him to ruff it up with steel wool and it worked perfectly

TORTIS 10-13-2009 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by DupermanDave (Post 51251770)
I think I will post a pics guide. I'll get the driver's door off first and paint that, and when it's done I'll do pics of the passenger side. I won't be doing it now because it's too cold for any paint to work well. I'm in Colorado and we're already hitting record low temperatures. But I'll do it at my next best chance.

I'll trade you temps for rain. plus i love nothern colorado.