Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

oil pressure gauge not working properly

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil pressure gauge not working properly

my oil gauge dosent work on my 95 4runner, heres what i know so far.
i took the gauge out of the cluster checked and it works fine. i got power to the gauge, and i got power to the sending unit. now i know there are 2 sending units for these runners 1 is for a guage, and 1 is for the light (if equiped). ok heres where it gets a lil weird!!!!!!! i have put 2 brand new sending units in (the 1 for the gauge) and nothing happens! i put a unit in for the light. when the key is turned on to acc the gauge will peg out on H and after the engine is started it will go back to the L position, the gauge is acting as if it was a light. now if it does this with the light sending unit in it should work with the gauge unit in but it doesnt. does anyone on this forum have any ideas? i know its not uncomon to get a bad new part but 2 in a row i think is a lil far fetched.

help please!!!!!
Old 06-02-2010, 01:59 PM

nobody!!!! anything!!!!!!
Old 06-02-2010, 02:57 PM

you probably fried you gauge when you put the sending unit in that was designed for the light.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by n8buddy
you probably fried you gauge when you put the sending unit in that was designed for the light.
That would be my guess aswell. Lets hope not though!
Old 06-02-2010, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by TOE-B
my oil gauge dosent work on my 95 4runner,
Define "doesnt work"...

Needle stays at far left all the time? Needle pegs? Needle moves, but isn't accurate?

i have put 2 brand new sending units in (the 1 for the gauge) and nothing happens!
Nothing happens to what??

when the key is turned on to acc the gauge will peg out on H and after the engine is started it will go back to the L position, the gauge is acting as if it was a light. now if it does this with the light sending unit in it should work with the gauge unit in but it doesnt.
Not necessarily. On my 1995 4runner the sender "powers" both the gauge AND the light (according to the electrical diagram.) I don't know what vehicle or motor you have.

What it COULD mean is, there might be a short somewhere between the sender and the gauge.

So, Alldata says to do the following to test the gauge:
On 4Runner and Truck models, measure resistance between terminals A and B. Resistance should be about 25.0 ohms. If not as specified, replace receiver gauge.
Unfortunately, it says nothing about testing the sender.

Lemme think on this a little longer.

What vehicle do you have, what motor?
Old 06-03-2010, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by danskelly
Define "doesnt work"...

Needle stays at far left all the time? Needle pegs? Needle moves, but isn't accurate?

Nothing happens to what??

Not necessarily. On my 1995 4runner the sender "powers" both the gauge AND the light (according to the electrical diagram.) I don't know what vehicle or motor you have.

What it COULD mean is, there might be a short somewhere between the sender and the gauge.

So, Alldata says to do the following to test the gauge:

Unfortunately, it says nothing about testing the sender.

Lemme think on this a little longer.

What vehicle do you have, what motor?
i have 3.0 v6 auto 4x4. the needle will peg to H when turned to acc, and when started it drops back to L. but it only does this when the small sending unit for the light is in it. when i put the larger sending unit in it for the gauge, the gauge wont do anything. i took the gauge out of the dash it works. you can run a jumpre wire from the plug at the sending to ground and the gauge works or at least it moves up and down.